Kotor 2 keyboard not working at all

Discussion in 'Software' started by Therick21, May 7, 2011.

1. Therick21

Therick21 Private E-2

Hi I recently bought kotor 2, I have updated the game and i am running it in compatabilty mode (XP service pack 2) and running it as an admin. When I start playing the game my keyboard does not work at all, im using a G19 keyboard connected via USB. It works on the menu when I am creating my character but not in game. Can someone please help me with this problem?

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Hmmm... I'll try to help. Let me get some info first though. :)

Windowed mode or full-screen? Modded or vanilla install? What operating system are you in, and are you on a laptop or desktop? What happens if you try another keyboard?

3. Therick21

Therick21 Private E-2

Fullscreen

patched vanilla install

windows 7 home premium

Desktop

does not work with other keyboards

4. Mimsy

That was quick. Thanks :)

Try turning off vsync, for some reason that solves it for a lot of people. Also, make sure it's the entire keyboard, and not just WASD that isn't working.

5. Therick21

Therick21 Private E-2

It is the whole keyboard and vsync was never on

6. Mimsy

How very odd... did you install in compatibility mode or As Administrator? If not, give that a shot and see how it goes.

7. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I hate you went and spent money on that game. I fell in love with it, up to about 15-20 hrs in, bugs crashes, 0 tech support. I'm suprised you even got it to install using win 7. I know you said you were running it in xp sp2 compatibility mode. The first few days I played it, it was prob up in my top 2 or 3 all time greatest games. I wasn't even able to finish it. :cry :cry And NO, I don't wanna kow how it ended!!!! The problem is it's a older game, and there are no more updates/patches or even tech support to fix the horrendous. I tried e-mailing Lucasarts numerous times, and they basically said Sorry your stuck. :cry :cry

As to your Keyboard issues... Only thing I can think of is maybe try a controller, but I'm not even sure the game will support it. try playing with the video setting since vsync was off, turn it on restart, etc, etc. If all else fails, you can always Partition off around 20gigs of your HD and dual boot winxp, or win 2000. Best of luck to you.

8. Therick21

Therick21 Private E-2

I have now started trying to get it to work in a VPC. I am using virtual box and have successfully installed XP and the game, but when i run the game i get the error "A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed." What does that mean and does anyone know if it is possible to run games in a VPC and if it can be done can someone help me to configure it properly.

Many thanks

PS I just passed both my A+ Exams :-D

Edit: I have thought about dual booting but i was told that because im running windows 7 64bit that i would need to format my and install xp first and then dual boot windows 7 and i don't have an external hard drive large enough atm to back up my entire win 7 system.

Oh yeah when i installed it, I did it in compatability mode and admin.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  9. Mimsy

Psssshhh, don't listen to lego. Sith Lords is an awesomely awesome RPG in every way. :p It's the ultimate proof that Obsidan has god-given talent, both for creating outstanding games, and for screwing them up by not finishing them. The NPCs are phenomenal, the plot is fantastic, and the whole thing just amazing. And Atton is a stud, and Kreia is beyond scary. :innocent

I've had a brutal horror of a work day, so I'm kind of exhausted right now, but I do own the game and a Win7 installation, so I'll do some testing and get back to you in the next 36-48 hours on my progress. Are you in 32-bit or 64-bit?

10. Therick21

Therick21 Private E-2

My OS is Windows 7 64bit

11. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

:cry :cry Hearing you talk about it like that Mimsy is making me wanna try it out again.!.!.! I so hope they make a KOTOR 3 ,However, the games got more bugs than a bait store!!! ;) do you have a keyboard that does not connect VIA USB? One that u can plug into the keyboard socket?

12. Mimsy

I have installed and played around with KOTOR 2 and unfortunately I didn't have any issue with my keyboard at all. :( I ran all exe files As Administrator and in compatibility mode for XP SP2, in 64-bit Win7 Ultimate.

13. Therick21

Therick21 Private E-2

I got TSL working by reformatting and reinstalling windows 7. The only problem im having in now is that my game goes all funky after the movies. On kreia's fall for instance the movie will play just fine but when its finished the screen goes black and looks as if I wasnt in a convo, then it goes all laggy and crashes. :(:(:cry:cry

Any suggestions ?

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

if you have reformatted and re-installed Windows 7 then have you also installed all of the drivers needed in the likes of the Chipset and latest video drivers for your card? (check Device Manager for yellow ! marks as that's a clue as to missing drivers)

have you also installed DirectX9 as while Win7 has Directx11 many games still need some d3d dlls from DX9.

Disable your Antivirus software in case that's causing any issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds