AdFly Malware Removal - Help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guest2000, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest2000

Guest2000 Private E-2

Hi

My PC has a virus or spyware called Adfly or AdF.ly (note the placement of the dot in the alternate name). Has anyone had experience with it? With this infection, Firefox will occasionally interrupt my browsing and pop up another window/tab to go to a link that is usually an advertisement. Near the top of most of these new pages is the word "AdF.ly", hence the name of the malware. I've attached a screenshot of a typical adfly page.

When it's not popping up ads, it runs in the background, often making my HD grind and tying up significant system resources. Sometimes it closes all my windows except for the ad. I did a google search, and it seems that it may be a program that some people intentionally use to generate revenue as an URL shortener? or something based on advertising. I stress that I never tried to use it, nor intended for it to get on my PC. I got my machine infected by visiting a site which came up on google image search. I admit I was not running anti-malware protection. :-o

I've tried removing it with Spybot S&D, Avast Antivirus, Hijackthis, SuperAntiSpyware, and even Windows Defender, all to no avail.
    I also looked at the info and tried the tips here, but the info is perhaps too outdated:
    http://virus-list-info.blogspot.com/2008/09/adfly-adware.html
    If someone knows of more updated files/registry keys to try with that method, I am game.

Does anyone know of a freeware program that WILL catch and remove this? Apparently, there's a program called Exterminate-It that purports to do the job, but that one isn't really freeware/shareware. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks. :confused

My OS: Windows XP Pro.

Attached Files:

2. captcha

captcha Private E-2

I don't get any hits on Google for malware and Adfly.

My suggestion would be to download Autoruns. Click on the menu item Options, Hide Microsoft and Windows entries. Press the refresh toolbar button and then click on the tabs and see if you see anything suspicious.

Also make sure it didn't install a Firefox extensions.

I don't run any anti malware of any type also and never have any issues. What I do do is make sure Windows, Flash, Java, etc are always patched to the latest versions. Very few 0-days then that can get you.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker)

5. wedwo

wedwo Private E-2

I had this and found the following:

In my startup, I had an entry that read 'Adobe Reader' and pointed to the following file:
    %appdata*\microsoft\windows\reader_sl.exe

So I clicked start, run and entered %appdata*\microsoft\windows\
    to get into the folder
    In that folder, there were two suspicious files:
    reader_sl.exe - it's icon was the icon used for .dll files
    update.exe

Both of these checked as a trojan with 4/40 antivirus engines on virustotal (not a lot).
    As long as the reader_sl.exe remained in memory, my browser would shut down as soon as I tried to open the ad aware page (for download) or this page. When I terminated the process, I was able to get around and do as I pleased.

I have now manually added ad.fly to my hosts file to point to 127.0.0.1.

Hope this helped someone.

6. wedwo

wedwo Private E-2

Can't seem to edit my post - that sucks. Just to add, it's adf.ly and not ad.fly. Also, the home page of my browser had been hijacked and set to:
    q00qlle.com (not q's and not g's as well as an additional l).

7. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

You have an infection and you should follow Just Playin's advice. Good luck!

8. Guest2000

Guest2000 Private E-2

Thanks for the replies, but this happened almost a year ago and I tried the Malware Removal Guide mentioned, twice, to no avail. I've long since resorted to the nuclear option (DoD overwrite + format). Maybe this thread will be useful for someone else in future.

9. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

I suggest you try the Malware Removal Guide again and then post to that forum so the wizards there can help you. I'm pretty confident they can get to the bottom of it. Malware is constantly changing. You may have originally gotten an early version of a bug that the Malware Removal Guide then didn't address because the bug wasn't prevalent. Whatever it is, I'm sure the wizards can find it but you first have to ask them by submitting a post. :)

PS I can't swear to this, but it's my understanding that some 'viruses' can persist through a reformat, so bear that in mind, too.

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi :)

While we appreciate that you are trying to offer help for others, we have a Malware Removal forum here which is one of the best out there. We do not allow malware removal advice on the other forums on this site for numerous reasons...one of which is that following advice that is not tailored to a person's specific machine can damage it and it also leads to confusion.

I see you said you tried the Malware Removal Guide here, however I do not see that you have any posts in the malware forum which means you did not follow the instructions set forth in the guide which is most likely the reason it didn't work for you.

I am going to close this thread for the reasons I stated above and also because it is an old thread.

Edited to add, I just noticed another poster came in to post the reply regarding the fix, not the original poster of the thread. Either way...I'm leaving this thread closed, since as the OP stated it was an old thread of theirs.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds