Computer won't connect with monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elfqueen33, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hi there
    I have a perfectly good working computer that won't connect to my perfectly good working monitor.

They were hooked up together and working fine earlier in the day but then I had to disconnect it an move my furnature.

I'm not sure if the tower got knocked over because it was lying on it's side but when I tried to reconnect it with the montor as I had it before ...the computer turns on (fan runs lights go etc) but the montior won't register the feed and quickly goes to sleep...

any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Elfqueen

2. ouranos

ouranos Private E-2

Maybe your card is dead :-( do you hear any beed sounds at start up?? indicating a hardware failure?

3. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Whats the make and model of the computer? OS and service pack?
    Are you able to hear POST?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the tower was on its side, step one is to open the case and reset all the cards and double check that every cable is plugged in well.

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Elf,

This may not be your problem but over the years I have had calls about that symptom several times. Some times the Comp has a dual output video card and the monitor is plugged into the wrong connector. Other times the comp has two video cards and the monitor is plugged into the video connector on the wrong card. Maybe!

Good Luck, Jim

6. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hi guys (and gals)
    thanks for your help.

Apparently this computer had the same trouble a while back so it might not have been the fall.

Can you tell me how to reset the cards?

I've tried plugging the monitor into the two available ports, no luck there.

The computer is a sony vieo (I think) with a XP operating system

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I normally take a card out (I've heard using a pencil top eraser on the gold contact helps clean any corrosion on the contact) then push down firmly. That's the tricky part. You don't want to apply too much or too little pressure.

Make sure you push down all the cables so that the power works. Check that there are no loose connections anywhere.

8. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

When it comes to seating cards, the best thing i have found is to push both ends down at the same time till you hear it click into place.

9. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Thanks everyone. It seems to have started working on it's own again...not sure the trouble but thanks for your help and suggestions!

Blessings
    Hoku

10. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I had a similar problem which only occurs when using a DVI cable / connection.

In my case, I found that you have to disconnect and then reconnect the cable when the computer is shut down.
    I had to do this multiple times before it finally stabilized.

Check the Troubleshooting information for your monitor.

11. thedatorkod

thedatorkod Private E-2

yeah reseting the card fixed my problem the computer fell over and was not connecting to the monitor i tried replacing the hdmi cable but it did not fix it then i retried reseting the card and it then worked

12. ownthree

ownthree Corporal

Happened to me before, i just disconnected the cables and then connected it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds