Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (Steam) not running

Discussion in 'Software' started by Laniius, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Laniius

Laniius Private E-2

Ok, I haven't played this game in a long while, but last time I played it was working perfectly. As it has been months since I last played it I do not know what changes have been made to render it inoperable. Here's what happens. I open steam, click play from my library, and the menu comes up (The one with the options Play, Settings, View Readme file, and Exit; don't know what the term for this type of menu is). I click play, and... nothing. No slowdown, no process that I can decipher in my task manager, no game, no nothing. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game through steam, and made sure my NVidia drivers were up to date, and nothing. I can run it, I have before, and my computer is powerful enough; but something's gone wrong. Any ideas of what is happening?

Don't know too much about computers, so here's the stats pulled from dxdiag if it helps.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    ASUS G60JX
    Intel i7 (Q 720 @ 1.60 GHz (8 CPUs) ~1.6GHz)
    Memory: 6144 MB RAM
    Page file: 3296 MB used, 8855MB available

DirectX version: DirectX 11
    Chip Type NVidia GeForce GTS 360M
    Approx total memory 3760 MB
    DAC type integrated RAMDAC
    DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
    Direct3d Acceleration: Enabled
    AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

Main Driver: nvd3dumx.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll, nvwgf2
    Version: 8.17.12.7533

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Try this:

Make sure you know your login credentials, and shut down the Steam client. Go to your Steam directory (in Windows 7 it defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam) and delete the file ClientRegistry.blob

Restart the client, and log in when prompted. Now, right-click on AA in your Library, pick properties, and go to the local files tab and verify integrity of the game cache files.

Still problems?

3. Laniius

Laniius Private E-2

Yup, still no progress. The menu opens, click play, nothing happens. The "working" icon appears next to my pointer for maybe 1 or 2 seconds, then nothing happens.

4. Mimsy

Unless I remember wrong, this game requires the GFWL client to run as well, as a part of the DRM. Make sure you have that client installed, and up to date in every way, and that your login is current. Also, try running the game As Administrator, since your're in Win7.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've seen something similar that was caused by UAC being turned off, thus blocking some kind of message prompt, it may be worth considering if UAC is off.

6. Laniius

Laniius Private E-2

Refresh my memory? What is UAC again? I recognize the term but forget exactly what it is.

7. Laniius

Laniius Private E-2

I AM THE BAT! ...ahem, that is to say it's working. I had uninstalled games for windows live at some point. Reinstalling it worked.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Thanks for posting the fix. Odd that it required "games for windows live" to make it work.

9. Mimsy

Excellent! :highfive

Dual-layer DRM is irritating.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds