Google start page looks different

Discussion in 'Software' started by Norgates, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

My google start page has been looking different the past three days. I wonder if anyone has seen this?

Attached Files:

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Yep I have noticed it too. I guess they are trying to make it better.

3. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Same thing here, except it doesn't give the option to visit Google Deutschland on my browser.

4. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

Yeah, lots of complaints on the web about the black bar, including me, I have trouble reading it.

I wish they would spend their time making changes that actually help, like being able to edit the list that appears at the top to include features I need often (Translate) and remove features I never use (Shopping)
    I am not the only one with this wish but it seems Google are not interested.
    I guess they figure I will Bookmark & Keyword the Translate page (I have) and so Shopping will always be 'advertised' there

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I noticed this morning when i go to any Google site it displays in Dutch which is my ISP country ( i changed it in the settings) but other than that i don't have a problem with it

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I've been using Google Encrypted and the top bar is Totally black - no menu visible at all.

7. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thank you for this thread.

I have decided to boot IE9 because it is affecting too many things. I didn't know whether to go with Google Chrome or Firefox. You've helped me make the decision.

8. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Nice find, mjnc :)

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks Norgates. :)

I've never noticed it, mainly because I only use Google Advanced Search shortcut at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
    and only search for text.

I recently had similar trouble with Opera's Dark Blue Border until I was able to change it to Light Blue. It is a pity that Google don't offer the same option.

Bazza

===

10. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

You might also be interested in StartPage which provides totally anonymous searches.
    Hover your mouse pointer over the details link to the right of the search entry field for more info.

11. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Nice! I'm definitely bookmarking that. Encrypted Google isn't anything useful, as it only protects the information between your computer and your ISP. It still lets Google and the ones advertising on it to collect the info, which is the main issue in the first place.

12. oma

oma MajorGeek

I've been using Startpage/Ixquick for ages and when you want to visit anonymously a particular website in search, you just click on the *proxy* link provided to get there. Also there is an addon for Startpage for Firefox, Palemoon (in the browser searchbox) Https is also available I think but that will slow the browsing/search. There's a lot of info about this search engine.

Addon for Fx: http://www.startpage.com/eng/download-startpage-plugin.html

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  13. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Don't think the Advertisers can get that info directly, but not sure.

Here's what Google says about encrypted.google.com SSL Search

14. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

15. bigbazza

Can you point me to the actual download link. I've tried many URL links including Google Search links. All I get is the history, ad nauseum, no actual wording "Download" referring to change black to white.

Plenty of diversions to run scans, etc.

All I want is the !@@#$%^%^ Download link and instructions.
    End of rant.

Bazza

===

16. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Not sure what you are going on about. My link is to an article that, if you read it, has fixes for the black-back-to-white navbar-one if you use Chrome and one if you use Firefox. In the comments, there are also fixes suggested by users. There are two small ads on the page. the two large Google images are showing the bar before and after the fixes.

Ghacks is a well-respected site, there's nothing fishy on his website.

17. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I think all big companies both underestimate and fail to capitalize on human reluctance to change.

Thanks for posting the following:

18. bigbazza

I'm an Opera user, not FF or Chrome. I've read the article more than once, and also Google searched for a fix. Nowhere that I could find is there a specific link to what I have to do to fix up Opera.

If anyone has used a fix to change Opera, I would be most grateful.

Bazza

19. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

BigBazza, take a look at Adding User JavaScripts. If I understand this correctly, the next steps would be:

Copy the script from here.
    Paste into a text editor and save as somename.user.js in the folder you designated for user java scripts in Opera preferences.

I've not tried this, so you might want to wait and see if some one with more Opera experience can confirm.

20. oma

oma MajorGeek

Here you go Bazza. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/105735 Upper right corner - install and how do I use it. I'd read first the *how do I use it* ( for Opera also) and user reviews prior to downloading and installing.

21. bigbazza

Many thanks plastidust and oma. :cool :major
    I will check the links out.

Bazza

22. plastidust

I just tried the copy and paste method and it worked.

I created a new folder, copied the script, pasted into Notepad++, gave it the name BluOnWhite.user and had Notpad++ save as filetype .js in the new folder I created.

In Opera, went to Preferences > Advanced > Content. Placed a check mark in 'Enable JavaScript' > clicked on the 'JavaScript Options' button. At the bottom of the JavaScript window I clicked the 'Choose' button and selected the folder I created and clicked 'OK'.

Back in the Preferences window I unchecked the 'Enable JavaScript' option and clicked the 'OK' button. Went to Google and no more black bar. Back to blue letters.

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Google are gearing up for the full release of Google+ the Facebook clone and the new GUI to Googles search was in part this change, software companies do change the look a feel of their apps at times and in some cases you cannot go back to what you where used too.

If not liking it then change search engine. The .js script addon to change the colour works for me fine also, not that I'm displeased with the change, neither her nor their, but I can see that it can affect some that have vision issues with specific colours and I think Google didnt think of that sadly.

24. plastidust

I forgot about the 'Google+' doings. Only thing about the black bar(for me any way) is, it looks like a new toolbar has been tacked on to the browser. Ah well, just scroll a little bit, all better.

Personally I like ixquick, little brother to oma's StartPage.

25. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Adding .user to the end of the filename indicates to Opera that the script uses Greasemonkey notation.

I don't see any information on the Google Light Navbar Home Page about this, however in Opera the script works Only when so named.

Opera: User javascript - Greasemonkey scripts

If you Disable javascript, it will not work. If you refresh http://www.google.com/ with javascript Disabled
    or quit and Restart Opera with javascript Disabled, the script will not run.
    At least, that's how it goes with my installation. ;)

26. plastidust

A little more info about installing the script. This is where I got the notion that '.user' was needed.

Yes, JavaScript must be enabled for the site(Google), 'Site Preferences', as well as 'Inline Frames' being enabled for the site. The only reason I enabled JavaScript in the 'Preferences > Advanced > Content' was to activate the 'JavaScript Options' button long enough to designate a user script folder.

I've already disabled the script as the whole thing wasn't that big of deal to me. Just wanted to try and make it work in Opera.

As for Firefox, I have the NoSquint add-on installed which overcomes the Google black bar in a couple of clicks.

27. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

The script isn't needed if you use Google Encrypted.
    You still get the black top bar, but there's nothing on it except Sign In and the Options button which are clearly visible.
    As soon as the search is activated by entering something in the search field,
    those menu selections appear on the left.

28. plastidust

That's just great, many thanks for another puzzle :-D
    Such is not the case here. The black bar stays the same, no menu selections appear, even after the search is activated.

29. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Sorry for the confusion - no puzzle.

I meant that the menu selections appear to left of the Search Results, not on the menu bar.
    And this is with Google Encrypted.

Maps and Gmail do Not appear on the list with Google Encrypted, but they are on the menu bar at http://www.google.com/

30. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I'm having trouble tracking down what the difference is between the two.

It seems that they may be the same.
    Startpage Launches Anonymous Web Search

StartPage Proxy Explained

31. plastidust

They are much the same but there are some subtle differences.

You can change the appearance of the ixquick home page and ixquick has a phone book feature.
    [​IMG]
    No big thing though.

Startpage performs an 'enhanced by Google' search:
    [​IMG]
    Very nice for privacy concerns. Something oma has been trying to tell us for quite a while now.

Where as ixquick performs a metasearch:
    Either one can launch anonymous web pages.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice the difference in the search results?

Apologies for not getting back to this sooner.

32. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks for the ixquick info.

One thing I found that isn't exactly intuitive, if you want suggested search phrases as you type your search keywords,
    you have to adjust the search settings and turn ON Search Suggestions.

With Google, this is ON by default, but not in ixquick search.

33. plastidust

It isn't intuitive is it? I hadn't noticed that before. Maybe because when Google introduced the query predictions/search suggestions(Google instant?) feature, it drove me :mad So turned it off. You can save those settings in StartPage/ixquick just as you can in Google.

One thing I use a lot on Google is the map feature, sadly lacking with StartPage/ixquick. Have placed Google Maps in the Bookmarks Bar and in Speed Dial on Opere/Firefox/PaleMoon :)

Seems like Google Encrypted and StartPage are more or less equivalent?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds