Rapport blocks good site, even after uninstall.. how to fix?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Jun 30, 2011.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

my wife took a tip from a Bank and installed Rapport security ware. :cry
    it seemed to behave ok until she needed to login to a planning site our church uses. On my system, no issues... i don't have and don't want Rapport. On her system, irrespective of browser used [chrome / ie8] we would login, get a windows message saying the site was trying to redirect to a secure [https version of] site, which is what it needs to do, I would give it the thumbs-up, but it will simply reroute endlessly to the login credentialing widget.

I found lots of posts around the geekosphere about issues like this stemming from Rapport. I found the obfuscated Trusteer-provided removal tool and ran it. Same problem persists. I removed everything having to do with secure/trusted/zone/sites in IE, and set all security settings back to default, but problem persists. cleaned out all the cookies, everything.... no dice. reboots, safe mode + networking, etc etc etc.... problem persists in both chrome and IE.

I can only imagine that there is something in the registry that has been set by the software, which has not reverted despite all this work. why its affecting this one site I know not... no issues logging in via any of the other computers in my zoo.

any ideas guys??

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Try running Ccleaner it may clean up anything it has left over....

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

Do Not tinker with any of its default settings and when doing the registry scan when prompted to save the selected items prior to deletion Do So!! this is a safety drop back so if you remove anything that shouldn't of been then it is easely put back, Ccleaner is safe to use as long as you don't change the defaults.... I have attached pic's of how to run Ccleaner.

I hope that this resolves your issue.

iain.t :major

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

i had already done that.
    leafing through the registry there are a lot of keys still set with Trusteer/Rapport values, but none that I can discern would seem to be blocking a token or whatever is going on that causes the website to return a bad credential-attempt. I'm stumped.

if someone could help me understand what it is in XP Pro that any/all browsers need to latch in order to deal with a secure site ...
    I'm going to go try some of our other usual haunts like banks & brokerage and make sure they are still ok..

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    How long ago was Rapport installed? Is it possible to do a system restore before the install date?

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Just In case you don't have a sys restore point to restore to as advised by tgell.
    Does this help.

Else download again and uninstall in safe mode from Control Panel.

Cheers..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds