MajorGeeks Support Forums

Go Back   MajorGeeks Support Forums > ----------= PC, Desktop and Laptop Support =---------- > Hardware
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Casino Mark Forums Read

Hardware Hardware like hard drives, motherboards, video cards, printers, CD-ROMs, etc.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-11, 07:00
01alim 01alim is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Hello,

Joined this forum about three years ago about a little problem, and didn't think I'd remember my login details, but I did! Hooray!!

Anyway, I've got another problem now. I bought a new PC the other day and attached my existing monitor to it. This happens only sometimes, but what happens is, I see thin horizontal lines on the screen and when I drag a window over it, it seems to be 'wiped off'. The lines are usually black but since I have a dark wallpaper, the lines appear light grey-ish on the desktop and when I open a window over it, it disappears then reappears when I switch to desktop again.

I'll try and see if I can take a picture, if necessary. I've never had this problem on my older computer when the same monitor was attached. Mind, I did install a new graphics card and PSU to the new computer so maybe that's the problem, somehow?

EDIT: Also, to save some time, I did change the refresh rate from 60Hz to 75Hz (the only options I have) and it made no difference. Still noticed the lines.
It can't be the monitor if I had never experienced it before and only started when I attached it to new computer.

Monitor:
Phillips PHP-X19 (VGA connection)


This is my computer specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2310 Processor
RAM: 3GB (1GB + 2GB)
Graphics: HD Radeon 5670 (with Intel® HD Graphics 2000 onboard chip disabled)
Hard Drive: 1TB (64MB cache)
PSU: OCZ 500W StealthXStream 2 ATX


All help welcome.

Last edited by 01alim; 10-28-11 at 07:06..
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 10-28-11, 08:19
jasonbrien jasonbrien is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

These lines may be because of the picture tube of the display of your desktop. I had this problem about a couple of months ago an then I had to change the picture tube of the display.
  #3  
Old 10-28-11, 08:22
01alim 01alim is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbrien View Post
These lines may be because of the picture tube of the display of your desktop. I had this problem about a couple of months ago an then I had to change the picture tube of the display.
Picture tube? No idea what that is (will look it up in a mo).

Okay, why didn't I have this problem before then? I've yet to check on the old computer recently, but I could try.
  #4  
Old 10-28-11, 10:31
augiedoggie's Avatar
augiedoggie augiedoggie is offline
The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 10,090
Thanks: 194
Thanked 975 Times in 910 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

If the lines are still there with your old machine then it's obvious, I'd think your onboard video is bad on your new machine.

BTW, Jason was talking about a CRT tube going bad, not an LCD monitor.
__________________
i7 930 @ 2.8GHz, GTX470/GTX260, 6GB RAM:
  #5  
Old 10-28-11, 10:35
01alim 01alim is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggie View Post
If the lines are still there with your old machine then it's obvious, I'd think your onboard video is bad on your new machine.
Wait, if the lines are still there on my old machine... then isn't the monitor at fault then?

I haven't checked recently, but I've used the monitor for a few months now and had no problem before on my old machine. Just when I got the new PC. So it must be my new computer's fault. The thing is, I don't know what it could be... loose connections? If so, where?

And I disabled the onboard video chip (?). Could that be a problem? I wanted to make sure the computer was using the graphics card I installed at all times.
Sponsored links
  #6  
Old 10-28-11, 10:57
augiedoggie's Avatar
augiedoggie augiedoggie is offline
The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 10,090
Thanks: 194
Thanked 975 Times in 910 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01alim View Post
Wait, if the lines are still there on my old machine... then isn't the monitor at fault then?

I haven't checked recently, but I've used the monitor for a few months now and had no problem before on my old machine. Just when I got the new PC. So it must be my new computer's fault. The thing is, I don't know what it could be... loose connections? If so, where?

And I disabled the onboard video chip (?). Could that be a problem? I wanted to make sure the computer was using the graphics card I installed at all times.
If bad on both machines then yes your monitor is crapping out.

Ahh OK, last thing to try is pull your graphics card out and re-enable your onboard graphics. This will rule the card in or out.
__________________
i7 930 @ 2.8GHz, GTX470/GTX260, 6GB RAM:
The Following User Says Thank You to augiedoggie For This Useful Post:
01alim (10-28-11)
  #7  
Old 10-28-11, 11:05
01alim 01alim is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggie View Post
If bad on both machines then yes your monitor is crapping out.

Ahh OK, last thing to try is pull your graphics card out and re-enable your onboard graphics. This will rule the card in or out.
Okay will try that. Problem is, it doesn't happen all the time, and it could go days till it happens again... who knows.

I could go sessions without it triggering. I have noticed that's usually in the mornings and when I turn it on. It disappears after like 15 minutes.

Could it be a temperature thing?

The more I think the more I dread trying to fix it.
  #8  
Old 10-28-11, 11:31
augiedoggie's Avatar
augiedoggie augiedoggie is offline
The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 10,090
Thanks: 194
Thanked 975 Times in 910 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01alim View Post
Okay will try that. Problem is, it doesn't happen all the time, and it could go days till it happens again... who knows.

I could go sessions without it triggering. I have noticed that's usually in the mornings and when I turn it on. It disappears after like 15 minutes.

Could it be a temperature thing?

The more I think the more I dread trying to fix it.
Yuck! I hate intermittent problems! However, we're drilling down to the real issue. If your machine still craps out after a week using the onboard graphics then there's a bad connection somewhere, I mean on the motherboard which you can't find by yourself without sophisticated equipment. That's an instant RMA. Also, you can use a regular eraser on the card's gold fingers, making sure that there's no residue left before re-installing it. That's all I've got.
__________________
i7 930 @ 2.8GHz, GTX470/GTX260, 6GB RAM:
  #9  
Old 10-28-11, 11:41
01alim 01alim is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggie View Post
Yuck! I hate intermittent problems! However, we're drilling down to the real issue. If your machine still craps out after a week using the onboard graphics then there's a bad connection somewhere, I mean on the motherboard which you can't find by yourself without sophisticated equipment. That's an instant RMA. Also, you can use a regular eraser on the card's gold fingers, making sure that there's no residue left before re-installing it. That's all I've got.
Lol - the part you bolded in my quote... it's so rude! Sorry!


Okay, thanks doggie, it's so annoying that I have to cope without the graphics card now... What about my games!?!?

  #10  
Old 10-29-11, 06:43
01alim 01alim is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Okay, the lines were pink/multi-coloured today.

I connected the VGA cable to my older computer and all was fine. So it's defo the PC. I then connected back to the PC to make sure the lines were still there before connecting the cable to the onboard VGA port. (The onboard graphics is enabled along with the separate one.) The lines disappeared on the onboard port.

I had to restart my PC due to a blue screen. It is now on the graphics card port but with no lines.

This is messing up my head...
Sponsored links
  #11  
Old 10-29-11, 11:09
sach2's Avatar
sach2 sach2 is offline
Major Geek Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,584
Thanks: 604
Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,718 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

It sounds like it could be either the card is going bad or a bad VGA connector on the card. If you wiggle the VGA connector at the card does it make any difference?

I have an old machine with a card that displays pink when using the card's VGA connector but using one of these to connect a VGA monitor to the the DVI output works fine.
  #12  
Old 10-31-11, 13:13
01alim 01alim is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach2 View Post
It sounds like it could be either the card is going bad or a bad VGA connector on the card. If you wiggle the VGA connector at the card does it make any difference?

I have an old machine with a card that displays pink when using the card's VGA connector but using one of these to connect a VGA monitor to the the DVI output works fine.
Wiggling makes no difference. Might take the card in tomorrow.

Here's a screenie btw:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3580/linesi.png
  #13  
Old 11-04-11, 06:13
01alim 01alim is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LCD Monitor - Black Horizontal Lines

Lol - win win for me.

PC World couldn't test if my HD 5670 was faulty or not cos' their test machine was fried due to a customer's hard drive catching it on fire. So all they could do was take my word for it. I could've got a replacement, but they had a good offer on their website which I wanted instead (more expensive). They said they can't do exchange with their website offers, so I got a full refund instead.

Now I'm thinking of purchasing the HD 6850 off Amazon instead - £115.
(I don't play much 'powerful' games, just MMOs.)

On topic:
I am a bit worried that the new card may start causing lines on screen as well. Cos' if that happens, I will be totally lost as of what the problem is.

Since I've taken the card out, the computer has been working fine running on the onboard graphics.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Display issues.....flickering thin black horizontal lines chump0 Hardware 8 10-13-11 21:07
Monitor has horizontal lines Luna2308 Hardware 1 09-18-11 05:53
Horizontal Lines on Toshiba Laptop Screen Abat Hardware 2 04-20-10 21:41
wavy horizontal lines m3i0x3 Hardware 5 04-12-08 23:51
Looking for freeware to turn windows cursor into moving vertical and horizontal lines dollar22bill Software 5 08-30-05 16:12


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:54.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

MajorGeeks.Com \ All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ NEW! PC Games \ System Tools \ Macintosh \ Demonews.Com \ Top Downloads

MajorGeeks.Com \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds


All content Copyright © MajorGeeks.com source code Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright © 2009 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Ad Management by RedTyger