Video game creating software

Discussion in 'Software' started by tegary, Jan 4, 2012.

1. tegary

tegary Private E-2

My son is big into playing video games, and thinks that he wants to work as a video game creator when he gets older. I'm wanting to look into buying him some old software that he can play around with until he is ready for college. I just don't know what kind of software is used to create Xbox, Nintendo, and PS games.

Could someone point me in that direction? Also, what college program should he be looking to enter into?

Thanks.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Microsoft has released a SDK (software development kit) for user created content see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa937791

Nintendo does not release tools, they even killed a book that someone wrote on gameboy developement. see http://www.freetechbooks.com/progra...me-boy-advance-the-unofficial-guide-t283.html

I have no idea on PS3 development, see this gets into an area called homebrewing. Writing your own apps and games, that most console manufactures frown upon, mainly (I think) because in order to write your own code you have to bypass the console's security, which is the BIG NO NO! You have to bypass the security to run 'unsigned' code, which has become a gateway to piracy in many cases. You can google 'NDS homebrew' or 'PS3 homebrew' for more information.
    When the original Xbox SDK was leaked you got the XBMC, or Xbox Media Center, very useful, but not approved by M$.
    There is plenty of homebrew out there for every device you can think of, so start there.

In the mean time he may want to start with http://scratch.mit.edu/
    There are some game development programs for making simple PC games (GameMaker comes to mind), but you can write games in just about any language VB, Python, Java, most real programmers use C.
    There are also tools like the Unreal engine (UDK) that is used in a lot of FPS (first person shooters).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. garavo

garavo Guest

I'm very impressed with UDK, it's really great especially if you worked with 3DMax or Maya before. I don't know can it be used to make console games but sure you can ask at UDK forum about it.

Good luck in games development!

4. tegary

tegary Private E-2

Thanks for responding. He's been asking me every day if I've found something for him. I'll have to look into those you've mentioned. He's still young, but already has some ideas of games he'd like to one day create.

Another, and probably more appropriate question, is how is it games such as, Dragonballz, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. are available in Xbox, Ps2, Nintendo, Wii, etc. Are they just selling the brand to each company or creating the games and selling to each company?

Sounds like he's gonna have to get a job working for one of these companies one day. I'd just like to feed his interest now with some early software training.

Thanks again.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Sony, MS, and Nintendo license the SDK to developers. What I have heard is the developers pay a large sum for the rights (SDK) to create games for the platforms. That along with advertising, paying the creators, licensing brands like Dragon Ball or Pirates and so on is why you have to pay 'so' much for a game.

6. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

I liked 3DSMax when I used it. It was very good you could try that. Though you most likely would have to buy it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds