Fixtdss.exe froze computer? Malware? Won't boot.

Discussion in 'Software' started by gbuntitled, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gbuntitled

gbuntitled Private E-2

Please bear with me as I'm quite frustrated, and I'll do my best to explain the situation. I have an HP desktop with Windows Vista.

The previous night, I happened upon what, in retrospect, were some possibly shady websites.

Soon thereafter, I recieved a popup from my Norton 360 (which I just so happened to recently renew) stating that a fixtdss.exe program was needed to manually uninstall and rid the computer of this problem (tidserv? tdss.exe? I'm not too sure?).

Long story short, I downloaded the program and ran it. Part way into the scan, the scan freezes and the whole computer shuts itself down and restarts.

But now, the computer won't even 'boot' I'm assuming is the correct term for it. It flashes the blue HP screen with the small menu at the bottom, and then gets as far as the Microsoft loading bar.

A few seconds into that, it flashes to a black screen then onto a blue screen which states that "A problem has been detected and your computer has been shut down to prevent damage...Technical Information Stop:0x0000...etc..." It lists a bit of letters and numbers and then collects data for crash dump...initilizing data for crash dump...etc..

Attempting to start in Safe Mode gives me the same result.

What happens now? I would really like to salvage the data I had on that computer, but at this point, I can't even access it. Right now I'm posting from my girlfriend's mac book, and don't know where to even begin...Is the key in a tdss.exe trojan or something has infected my computer and disabled my master boot loader as some other forums have speculated? Or has a "BSOD" been caused? How do I even fix this or clean the infections out when the computer won't even load to the desktop?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

There is not much we can do as far as malware is concerned if you can't boot. So I am going to move this thread to the software forum so you can get assistance with getting your system back up and running.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Buy a USB adapter similar to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
    and attach the hard drive to a PC, not a MAC, after the PC is booted up.
    You can drag the files you want from the broken hd and put them on the host PC, a USB stick or a USB connected external hard drive.

If you made recovery disks for your HP you can restore the broken hd to factory condition.

First though, check if Norton has any option for creating a recovery disk that will be bootable and scan and fix your hard drive so windows can then load.

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hi, I understand that you are having a boot issue. If you would still like troubleshoot this further, complete the below:

[​IMG] For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
    For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.
    On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

• Startup Repair
    • System Restore
    • Windows Complete PC Restore
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    • Command Prompt
    Select Command Prompt
    In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    The tool will start to run.
    When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    Press Scan button.
    It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please attach this log to your next reply. (How to attach)

5. njmassacred

njmassacred Private E-2

Hey,

Could you please take a look at my log file?

I just had the same issue happen to me.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  6. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hello njmassacred,

Create a new topic in the Malware Removal forum with the FRST.txt attached.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds