Friend has an Acer Aspire M3201 that wont turn on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevvie, Mar 8, 2012.

1. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

Friend has an Acer Aspire M3201 that wont turn on. He said he came home and the power light was on but it wouldn't come out of sleep mode.
    I have ruled out the power supply, by trying his on my wife's PC (which boots with his PC) and my Wife's PSU on his. I also ruled out the switch. Now when you plug in the PSU mains power and press the on switch on the case, there is NO sign of life what so ever, not even a quick movement of the fan or a flicker of the lights. I have all Intel stuff so can't see if it's the CPU or MOBO. I leaning towards MOBO (Foxconn rs780m03a1-8ekrs2hm) myself.

What does anybody else think ?

2. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

This is here becuase the 10 minute edit time has Expired.

I've set him up a dual boot (2 seperate hard drives) 1 with an OEM vista and the other with windows XP Pro (as some of his music software just doesn't like vista) I know he will loose the Pre installed OEM Vista (and he's OK with that) If we replace the Mobo. So if People also think it might be the Mobo could anybody suggest a cheap Mobo for his AMD Phenom X4 as I have NO knowledge whatsoever of AMD stuff. We're in The UK if that helps choosing a Mobo.

This PC is used for music programs, like cubase and guitar rig. He plays 1 game which is total war rome.

Thanks

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

See if this may work. Unplug the computer. Then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Plug the computer in and push the power button.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  5. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

took the mobo battery out over night, cleared the cmos, unpluged everything except the ram and cpu, still nothing.

6. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Could you have A Bad Power cord Replace power cord and see if that works i know they can go bad.Some times the Female end gets messed up.Power cords go for like 10$ most places.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  7. gipsykevin

gipsykevin Private E-2

Hi I'm new to this forum,but I thought I'd give my solution to see if it works.
    I have an acer aspire m3201 which I used daily for 4 years, I had the same problem,and tried everything including graphics power and ram, I decided to give the board a thorough cleaning, I took th CPU fan off and lo and behold the CPU came away with it.
    I locked it back into the socket and replaced the fan and it started up straight away,that was a month ago. I can only think that constant use vibration and a few knocks and bumps coupled with the weight of the fan had worked it away from the socket....It night be worth a try

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds