Recovering data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WakatroN, Apr 9, 2012.

1. WakatroN

WakatroN Private E-2

I have (had) a Western Digital Essentials 2TB External Hard Drive.
    :major
    About an hour ago I plugged it in and it froze for a min then came up blank (I checked properties and it said 1.83 TB unused and showed a full blue pie graph, [enter freaked out face here]). So I restarted my computer and tried again checking all the plugs ect. So... then the drive was freezing any actions on my computer after putting in the password. I restarted again. I removed the hdd from the case and plugged it directly into a SATA port for another drive that is already active on my computer. When the comp came back on it told me it saw a new device. I was like "right on". Thing is it isn't showing in My Computer. I went to wd website and dl a tool to check the drive. The tool first said it sees the drive but after running the test it crashed the test tool.

Win XP32.
    WD20EARS

Is there any way to get my data back?

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome to Majorgeeks WakatroN :)

Unfortunately, external drives with 'added software' (you had to put a password in, so possibly encrypted data) have a tendency to be somewhat problematical, add to that the fact that a 2TB drive is pretty new technology, especially running an older OS, and you might be batting a very sticky wicket :(

I wouldn't hold too much hope but maybe someone else might have an idea or two.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If the drive is encrypted you may be out of luck. If the password was just a Windows password you might be OK but the fact the drive is hanging the machine doesn't sound too good.

Check if the drive shows in Disk Management. You do not want to format it if Windows prompts you to. What does it say about the drive in the graph section of Disk Management? Does it have a partition or does it show unallocated space?

Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management> then Disk Management should be on the left hand side.

You might download and run Partition Wizard. See if it sees your WD drive and if it shows a drive letter for the partition. Double click the drive letter and see if it can list your files. If it can list your files then there is a possibility of recovery.

4. WakatroN

WakatroN Private E-2

I did remove the chip from the hdd I think It holds the password, do you think it would lock the comp from seeing the drive still?

Well I did try that before I posted and it should show as the drive letter from the drive I replaced it with S: but it will not show at all in disk man or my comp. It will show in F2 setup. It shows if I run the Lifeguard Diagnostic tool from WD. I assume the data has got to be there...

Wait It came up with a Computer Manager Wizard and now I see it, its unallocated... GADS

Not to mention the thing is making a nasty clicking, I know hdd can do that with no problems but this sounds like, a grinding squeak sorta. It did fall over once while running, I bet it funked the reader arm sideways...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

The Western Digital controllers are a huge pain, even when there's no password set. A lot of them use AES encryption. More info post #5 http://community.wdc.com/t5/Externa...ve-Can-t-mount-filesystem-in-new/td-p/236022#

Unfortunately, for your drive it's possible that the controller may still be OK, but it's the actual drive that has had it. See if you can dismantle enough to see the actuator arm. I suspect it's the arm making the clicking sound as demonstrated in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbq8vfs1wYY

6. sach2

I don't think there is an upside to dismantling the drive except to see what it looks like after you have given up. I've seen videos on youtube where they explain that the screws holding the cover onto a HD have to be tightened precisely using a torque screwdriver to even get it recognized again after removing them. Just my impression.

I'd say your chances at recovery are slim. You probably need the HD in the external case for access to your files since the chip probably does some sort of hardware encryption. Without the chip no OS will actually get a list of files from the drive.

The only thing I can suggest is try, if you haven't already, is to use the DOS bootable CD version of the Western Digital diagnostic. That would eliminate Windows. There may be a chance the extended test which attempts repairs would complete. I think the test could be run with the drive connected by USB or internally since it doesn't actually try to recover files but works purely on the hardware. I'm not really sure so you might try it both ways. (Also I had a drive that the diagnostic wouldn't run in Windows so I used the CD which also failed. Then just before giving up I ran Windows version again and it got a little further. Next, the CD version completed successfully and the drive has been running fine ever since. Just saying in case you want to spend a little time experimenting, mine may have been a fluke. With the clicking sound it all may be a waste of time as I'm not sure the diagnostic can get past that mechanical problem even for one time data retrieval.

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hard drive dis-assembly should also be done in a clean room. And as sach2 posted, you need to have the screws exactly torqued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4qBl8x3tC0

8. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

You're quite right, I think that I've done it so many times that I've maybe become a little blase about the process. :hammer

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Wow, if you were able to do that, I congratulate you.

10. WakatroN

WakatroN Private E-2

Well I slipped the chip back in place and booted up and this time there was no WD Unlocker prompt. I Rebooted without the chip and the boot menu threw up error saying it can't recognize the drive. This tells me that the drive is pooped. It crapped the bed in sequential fashion. First; the funky grinding noise for about a week. Second; was the lagg on unlocking to see that it recognized the drive as empty. Third; the Unlocker still prompted but after entering password it froze my comp. Fourth; After I disassembled and connected direct I was unable to see the drive then I was after some force(running the Computer Manager Tool in Windows) it saw it as unallocated space. Fifth; reconnecting the chip and seeing nothing, no Unlocker or Letter in My Computer. Sixth; With no chip it threw up errors that the drive was unreadable.

I know that data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about... I am not tooo tore up about losing the data. (lies to himself to ease the pain...)

The data is basically just frozen there, still intact but unreachable by any means available to me. I think that WD gear is exactly what you pay for.

Thanks for your help and if anyone has anymore ideas as to how to retrieve the data, I would be much appreciative. ;)

11. WakatroN

WakatroN Private E-2

One last note: After speaking with a data recovery tech at Data Mechanix (Toll Free: (800) 886-2231) I realized it was the fact the book fell over while running. Tim told me that he is surprised that pc manufacturers don't place a warning saying not to move the drive while in use because it happens all the time. I asked about laptops, thinking that they must be more rigid, and he said even moving your laptop from your lap to the table, any slight bump will cause data loss.

WARNING: Don't let the very unstable upright design of most external hdd to ruin your data by letting them tip over.

12. sach2

The design of externals is too flimsy. They really should be putting them in some type of case that can absorb at least mild shocks/falls. I know it would be more expensive but we see tons of posts where drives fall off the desktop or people/pets snag the cable and pull externals off the desk. There should be at least a nod to shock absorption.

One last note to you which you have probably just realized, if you ever hear crunching from you HD, stop using it and prepare for a one time chance to copy what you can from it. It won't stop crunching. It will eventually just fail to be recognized. I'm surprised yours worked for a week.

13. WakatroN

WakatroN Private E-2

Indeed, the marketing of the external hard drive is that it is portable. Say I go to a friends house to watch a movie and the thing is set up on the coffee table and tips over. Boom DEAD. Good point about crunching, if I got a second hard drive and transfered my data I would be fine but I just waited for the dang thing to crash.:banghead

I am talking to WD about a possible refund as I do not want the same thing happening again if I choose replacement. The drive is only 6 months old.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds