Portforwarding 2 routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MZPRESTO, Jun 10, 2012.

1. MZPRESTO

MZPRESTO Private First Class

Hi geeks

I am turning to you for help as my brain is hurting :(

I run a wireless internet connection at home, I have an Edimax wireless router which I love it has a great range and don't want to part with it.

I was connecting it to a cable modem which was fed via coax cable and all was working as it should however my ISP (virgin media) no longer support these modems so upgraded me to superhub which is also a wireless router....

They said I could still keep mine just piggy back it which I did and all appeared to be working.

My router (Edimax) is on IP address 192.168.2.1
    Virgin Media superhub is on IP address 192.168.0.1

If I do IPconfig /all my IP is 192.168.2.100 but it's not static and changes frequently...

I am trying to set up home media server so I can access my shared folders on my Android phone...

I am trying to setup BubbleUPnP Server which is software to that but it keeps telling me my ports aren't open:

Internet Connectivity Test
    HTTP: ERROR: Cannot connect. Check that the public host name is valid and that port 58050 is opened on your router
    HTTPS: ERROR: Cannot connect. Check that the public host name is valid and that port 58051 is opened on your router

I forwarded the ports in my Edimax router, and it did not work... that led me to believe that I might need to forward them in my Virgin router too... I have no idea what IP address to forward them to in the Virgin router though, I tried the same last digit of my IP 192.168.0.100 and it did not work...

Also my other question is, if I don't have a static IP and my ISP wont provide one will I have to keep changing it or can I set one up myself??

Thanks in advance...:confused

2. MZPRESTO

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

What you want to do is do away with the double NATing situation. You need to make the ISPs modem/router a pass through. Turnoff DHCP, firewalls, enable any VPN pass through (depending on what options are available) so everything can be handled by your original router, not the superhub. Then static the IP on the computer and forward the ports so you can access it remotely. If you don't have a static external IP you'll need a redirector like no-ip, or like.

4. MZPRESTO

Holy sh*t balls foogoo!!! You are not going to beleive what I just found in the settings!!! :-o see attached pic: [​IMG]

LOL you were spot on and I can't beleive that Virgin Media never told me this, when I asked the tech guy who installed it!

Thanks so much, now just for the static IP thing

5. MZPRESTO

I am up and running with a Home Server!

Not needed to sort out a static IP yet, I'll get to that if I need to

Thanks again

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Yeah, I got my cable company to give a new docsis 3 modem and they told me they usually have someone install it, but they let me. When I called about VPN pass through they had no clue, I just kept poking around and solved it for myself. They know very little about the hardware they hand out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds