Recovery Disks, What happens when they fail

Discussion in 'Software' started by bintangbuzz, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bintangbuzz

bintangbuzz Private E-2

I have an ASUS K53S brilliant machine except for the original Recovery disks Dont work. In attempting to reset after a virus scare, I found it would run through to disk 3 freeze for an hour the give me some message about an error. SO much for disk checking while they were made.

I have tried to Factory Reset but I have found that all that is doing is overlaying windows, resulting in shabby performance, inability to save some passwords and loss of the Blueray player/burner in both modes, Windows Fixit can manage to temporarily read a dvd, but no go on burning cds or reading them.

This machine is fully updated with all bios etc but just needs a strip back.
    Any ideas?

I have also got the new G75V with 3D One word AWESOME gamers machine

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would go ahead and try to reburn disc 3. That would at least tell you if the information needed for that disc is still available. Windows installations can be picky about reading discs probably due to tight compression of files.

Imgburn's "Create Image file from Disc" option will write an ISO file to your HD of disc 3, copying it exactly if possible. Then use imgburn's "Write Image File to Disc" option to burn the ISO file which you just created to a new blank disc.

Then try the recovery again. I the information was there but the disc was difficult to read this might solve the problem.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you go through these steps?
    Using the Recovery Partition
    1. Press < F9 > during bootup.
    2. Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled].
    3. Select the language you want to recover and click Next.
    4. Read the ASUS Preload Wizard messages and click Next.
    5. Select a partition option and click Next. Partition options:
    Recover Windows to first partition only.
    This option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive "C".
    Recover Windows to entire HD.
    This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates a new system partition as drive "C".
    Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.
    This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions "C" (25%) and "D" (75%).
    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

If you choose the 2nd recovery option, I suspect your hidden recovery partition would be gone. So I'd stick to the first option.

I also found this information specifically for your model

4. bintangbuzz

bintangbuzz Private E-2

Yep Like I said I have tried Factory reset Numerous times which is only overlaying the system, resulting in shabby performance, inability to save some passwords and the biggest problems the loss of the Blueray player/burner in both modes, Windows Fixit can manage to temporarily read a dvd, but no go on burning cds or reading them.

5. corei7.worldwide12

corei7.worldwide12 Private E-2

their mite be a problem with the recovery hidden partition, i think a good solution for your problem is to install a fresh new windows 7 and download the new updated asus drivers from asus website

http://support.asus.com/Download/Options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

because sometimes there are some factory issues regarding installing the original windows(Hidden partition), (sometimes) it's just a suggestion, i encountered a problem like this before, since i work on a computer shop.

because if you're just going to use cd for recovery not all drivers will be recovered as what Plodr found out. if the issue still occurs there mite be a problem with the hardware
    better send to warranty because as what i have heard asus comes with 2 years warranty globally.

6. bintangbuzz

bintangbuzz Private E-2

I wish I had held off an bought it in Bangkok, As in Aus the warranty is only one year and I'm past that, Also the W7 is inbuilt on the hard drive, So I may have to find a copy somewhere, before I can do that. Plus I hate having to trawl through the drivers on their site, Rebuilding my K40IJ and lost the XP drivers disk, so went to Vista and that driver disk hates the Vista Ultimate, so doing the plod through there. Thanks for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds