"hidden d3d window" 'pop-up' at every single shutdown

Discussion in 'Software' started by COMPUABLE, Aug 13, 2012.

1. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

"hidden d3d window" 'pop-up' at every single shutdown

Can anyone offer a clue as to why this dialog box pops up "hidden d3d window" appears at every single shutdown? It is actually a very small square dialog box which appears and then requires that the user either click End Now or Cancel before the computer shuts down completely. I have already tried using System Restore going back to several previous restore points to no avail, unfortunately.

Occasionally and sporadically a similar End Now or Cancel dialog box has appeared a few times (in the past) which named some program that was shutting down on the top of the dialog box; but the problem went away and didn't repeat again, however this one occurs relentlessly every single time at shutdown. Also I'm pretty sure that it is not either a malware infection or a virus as I have also run the very latest and updated versions of IObit Malware Fighter, Malwarebytes and Norton which came up with nothing.

Side Note: I looked it up using Google search but no joy - I couldn't come up with anything useful. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Good Luck! -- COMP​

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

As you have more or less ruled out a virus or malware as the cause, I have to ask if you are a gamer, and if so, do you play any older games? :)

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> As you have more or less ruled out a virus or malware as the cause, I have to ask if you are a gamer, and if so, do you play any older games? <<

Thanks for your reply, 'Novice' but no, I actually never play any games at all or play a lot of movies or run anything CPU intensive like that.

I do tend to test a lot of new freeware applications and updates, upgrades, etc. and often run several programs simultaneously; however this has always been the case; but I never have experienced this nagging and persistent problem previous to this. Also, the problem just started 'popping up' less than a week of days ago and I haven't actually installed anything new recently. The only pain in the a*s is that every time I 'must' press either End Now or Cancel on the small dialog box before the computer shuts down entirely. Other than that it is mainly just a minor annoyance I'd like to be rid of...

Thanks again! ;)

Good Luck! -- COMP​

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What I would try if I encountered this, start Task Manager (Processes tab) before initiating the shutdown. Then try to catch what goes away when you click the 'End now' button.

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

> What I would try if I encountered this, start Task Manager (Processes tab) before initiating the shutdown. Then try to catch what goes away when you click the 'End now' button. <

Great idea... pwillener! I'll go and try that out immediately. Thank you very much...;)

Good Luck! -- COMP​

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

*UPDATE* By Georgeā€¦ I believe pwillener has got it!

I first checked with the process manager and then msconfig immediately after and I believe I was able to uncover the original source of this nagging problem: My Logitech optical mouse was set to 'auto-update' and when it did (evidentially) the KhalScroll.exe process was consequently chewing up CPU. A quick 'process kill' and then onto disabling the Logitech Bluetooth 'auto-start' function in msconfig and I was good to go!

Oh and also in the interim after a quick check of the Logitech forum, I also came up with the following added info and links; which may come in handy if someone else runs into this problem in the future...

* Sources of additional information and tips regarding this matter:

KhalScroll.exe chewing up CPU - Logitech Forums
    Disabling the Logitech Flow Scroll (Scroll App) - Logitech FAQ

Thanks again - you folks truly rule! ;)

Good Luck! -- COMP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds