Asus K53E Laptop + Windows Home Premium 64-Bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by EXOX3, Aug 13, 2012.

1. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't posted in a long long time, I have been around virtually daily, but in-between lenghty hospital admissions in ICU & HDU, and getting medicated I haven't had the need to post anything, instead I have enjoyed sitting back and just reading everyones posts, especially in the Lounge, but things have now changed! Becuase I am in hospital a fair bit my mother & father bought me a brand spanking new Asus K53E Laptop, so I have something to use at all times to enertain me on those lenghty hospital admissions, besides relying heavily on my Samsung Galaxy S II phone as my Internet access and gaming companion.

But I am having a few issues with this new laptop, first off, I love it, it is very fast indeed, and so far its run any games I have thrown at it, without a hitch or slow down, but I am having software troubles, it came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, as my hardware is 64-Bit where it counts, I am itching to go out and buy myself a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, but unsure of the diffirences and whether or not if it is worth it? so can someone let me know if it is worth it, and if so why, or if not, why not? also if the 64-bit version of windows better than the 32-Bit x86 version? I have never quite understood the pros and cons of 32-bit Vs 64-Bit and and benefits and if its worthy of my hardware?

But first things first, as usual my laptop was pre-installed with a heap of software, most of which I have no clue about, what it does, and if its worthy of even being installed, I have uninstalled a heap of pre-installed software that I knew about and didnt need, but here is a list of other software. could someone let me know if I can and should delete or leave well alone....

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
    Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
    AIDA64 Extreme Edition v2.50
    Alcor Micro USB Card Reader
    Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver
    ASUS FancyStart
    ASUS LifeFrame 3
    ASUS Live Update
    ASUS Power4Gear Hybrid
    ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology
    ASUS Virtual Camera
    ATK Package
    avast! Free Antivirus
    Bejeweled 3
    BitTorrent
    Control ActiveX de Windows Live Mesh Para Conexiones remotas
    Controle ActiveX Windows Live Mesh pour connecexions a distance
    Conttrolo ActiveX do Windiows Live Mesh para ligacoes Remotas
    Cyberlink LabelPrint
    Cyberlink Media Suite
    Cyberlink Power2Go
    Cyberlink PowerDVD 12
    ETDWare PS/2-X64 8.0.5.3_WHQL
    EVEREST Ultimate Edition v5.50
    Fast Boot
    Google Chrome
    Google Earth
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 2.0
    Intel(R) Control Centre
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Driver
    Intel(R) Management Engine Components
    Java(TM) 7 Update 5 (64-bit)
    LIMBO
    Metal Slug Series with Enabled MAME 0.78
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    Microsoft Office 2010
    Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010
    Microsoft Office Outlook Connector
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
    Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.4148
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
    Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1 (x86 en-US)
    Mozilla Maintenance Service
    Qualcomm Atheros WiFi Driver Installation
    Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
    Sonic Focus
    Steam
    Win7Codecs
    Windows Live Essentials 2011
    Windows Live Mesh ActiveX Control for Remote Connections
    WinFlash
    WinRAR 4.00 (64-Bit)
    Wireless Console 3
    (*Chinese Characters*) Windows Live Mesh ActiveX (*Chinese Characters*)
    (*Chinese Characters*) Windows Live Mesh ActiveX (*Chinese Characters*)

Out of these installed applications etc are they all needed or required? Will uninstalling any of theme be beneficial? aka Performance Increase, etc?

Also, I am very new to Wi-Fi, is it possible at all to setup a network using Wi-Fi as my connection over say a Wired Ethernet? if it is, could someone please write me a guide in simple terms on exactly how? I have tried literally hundreds of times without any success... I can easily setup my Wi-Fi internet connection, thats simply and windows does the hard work for me, its merely a case of selecting which Wi-Fi and filling in my password, done... But when I try attempting to setup a network, its never works and somehow gets very compliated!

All I want to do is setup a good network using my Wi-Fi as the default hardware for accessing it, and allow my D:/ to be shared for people to easily copy data to and from it with ease, at decent speeds, and everytime I attempt to try and set it up, either manually or via the Windows step by step guides, it just never ever works, and I cant understands why, unless its just not possible to use a network using Wi-Fi at all....

Well that just about sums up the issues I have, I am very greatful for any and all help, I have clueless when it comes to Wi-Fi, I never got into it years ago when it blew up big and became all the rage, I am kicking myself because if I listed and learnt back then, I wouldn't have any issues now...

Also. last but definately far from least, does anyone know of any decent software to setting up and cleaning up my laptops file system, to sort out dead files and remove as they appear, to clean up the hard drive, the systems software list, defrag, disk clean up, and system backup and protection, and any and all tune up utilities? This new laptop is my main computer from now on, I dont want it to get bogged down by shitty system care and maintence, I want to squeeze each and every little drop of performance out of it,

Again, thank you guys in advance for reading my problems and helping solve any of them, and I am extremely greatful for any handy tips from anyone that knows little tips and tactics.

Kindest Regards,

Mr David Giles
    AKA - Luthius / EXOX3

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You will probably get a good number of answers, as you posted a good number of questions :cool

Let me start with 32-bit vs. 64-bit. 32-bit programs can only address memory up to somewhere between 3GB and 4GB. If you have more memory (RAM), then a 32-bit OS or application cannot use it. It also cannot reside in that higher address space.

If you have 4GB of RAM, both 32-bit or 64-bit OS will run fine. But if you ever think of upping your RAM, you will be happy to already have a 64-bit OS.

Regarding your installed programs, I see nothing that I would immediately remove. But you will get more advice on this from other forum users.

A good cleaning program: definitely CCleaner. Not only does it remove useless stuff from your computer, it can also help you to clean your startup list. This is far more effective than uninstalling programs. CCleaner | Tools Startup will tell you what you have in your startup list. Lots of stuff does not need to be there, and can easily be disabled.

Post a list of your startup items, and someone will tell you what is best to keep, and what to disable.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

P.S. one more word on CCleaner. I would, at least for the time being, stay away from the registry cleaning component. It is better to use registry cleaning only if you are 100% sure what you are removing.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Unless you have a pressing need to:
    a) run many XP business programs
    b) connect to company networks
    c) back up your computer to a business network
    d) use BitLocker
    e) switch between 35 different languages
    then Ultimate just is not necessary for a home user.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-xm/windows7/products/compare

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds