Upload manager service missing after reinstall XP pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yangor, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Yangor

Yangor Private E-2

As a result of power outage during system restore some functions like system inform, system restore, and search did not work.
    Without thinking and researching, I panicly reinstall (not repair install) XP pro over the existing OS. System inform, system restore and search are working now. But, upload manager service is missing from the services list ( I had a pre-reinstall record of services).
    How do I use/test the upload manager service? Can I survive without it? How do I get it back if I need it? I did fc /scannow but the scan did not tell me anything. Norton, ad-aware and spy ware scans did not detect any anything abnormal.
    My system: XP pro with SP1, hot fixes and security patches, P4 Intel 1,7 Ghz processor, 256M RAM, 40 GB hard drive, CD-rewrite and DVD ROM. All the drivers are updated.

2. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

It might sound strange but have you tried to repair it now.

you should try repairing it after the installation you made that might fix it

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi yangor
    Your upload manager is for the service that sends driver information to Microsoft to track availability of driver information. This service is not required for basic File and print sharing
    Most people have the service stopped and in Manuel
    I personally have never needed it

4. Yangor

Yangor Private E-2

I found "Microsoft Upload Manager, UploadM.exe, and uploadmgr " in the registry. The last modified day was the date that I did the reinstall. Does this mean the Upload Manager service still functioning?
    Since I am not using this service now ( future? ), I am still debating to do the repair install. With my luck I may lose something more important.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds