Looking for an Install Blocker program

Discussion in 'Software' started by bgunn, Jan 20, 2004.

1. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

I am looking for a type of program that would need a password in order to install any additional programs onto a system.
    Trying to keep certain person(s) within our company from installing programs without my prior knowledge or consent.

Any suggestions?

bgunn

2. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

what operating system are you using.

If you have XP then
    You could make just your account the administrator account and the rest of the accounts make them limited.

with a limited account in xp they can only use the files they cannot change them.

they could not install software
    but still be able to use the programs

1 person likes this.
  3. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

Sorry.... not thinking.

We have a dozen CPUs on the LAN all but (1) is Win98 SE. The last one is WinXP. It is a peer-to-peer network and we use MS Outlook to correspond to each other.
    Each system has various software/programs but they all have the basic MS Office items installed.

I am looking for a program that I can load onto several of the Win98SE CPUs, set a password that would be needed in order to load on any/all additional software.

We have a couple of people that keep loading on unnecessary (ie games) programs and I want/need to put a lock on that sort of thing as most of the people here (many self-admittingly) are not computer savvy. And if they download a program and install it then have problems, guess who they run to.... me.

bgunn

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

5. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Chaperone Professional
    From the site description:

1 person likes this.
  6. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

very simple way of doing this if using internet explorer is

At the top of your browser window, select "Tools"
    Select "Internet Options" from the drop down window
    Click on the "Security" tab
    Select "Custom Level"
    Scroll down to "Downloads" - "File Downloads"
    Check the "Disable" circle
    Click "OK" to close that window
    Then click "OK" to close the other window
    All done!

unless they know how to enable this they will not be able to download

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I will have a review of WinLock up soon. Very nice software I must say.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds