Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MTS, Nov 11, 2012.

1. MTS

MTS Private E-2

Hi, just these last couple of days I've been unable to load pages from a few domains, such as <snip>. When I try to do this Google Chrome displays:

"Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset."

I usually use Chrome, but I get the same problem with Firefox or IE. Ping and tracert work fine. Most puzzling of all, http://farm7.staticflickr.com/ doesn't load but all the other flickr "farms" do, so some pictures on flickr won't load.

Downforeveryoneorjustme.com confirms that all these domains are working.

I've googled away, tweaked my DNS & TCPIP settings, run anti-malware scans, tried different chrome options, re-installed chrome but nothing I've tried seems to work. Could it by my ISP that's at fault?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
  2. roystoncorera

roystoncorera Private E-2

1.click Start and then click Run and enter "cmd" then in command prompt
    type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt,If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt then restart pc and check
    not worked? moved to next step.
    2. Close all open 'Chrome' browser windows. Exit it completely.
    Right-click your CHROME icon on your desktop
    In the 'target' part, add --ssl-version-max=tls1 to the end.
    eg. Target: "..chrome.exe" --ssl-version-max=tls1
    still not workin?
    3.uninstall chrome and reinstall again you can do the same for IE.
    hope this works

3. kshelbrock

kshelbrock Private E-2

I am also getting this message when I try to go to www.facebook.com, or any other site that has "facebook" anywhere in the URL. I also get "Error 103 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED): Unknown error." on occasion as well. I have completed all steps listed by roystoncorera, as well as having run CCleaner, Malware-bytes, disabled all firewalls, checked proxy settings. Any insights on what could be causing the problem would be awesome.

4. amlamas

amlamas Private E-2

I have the prize solution. Open your "command Prompt" and type in "Netsh Winsock Reset", hit enter. You will be advised to reboot your computer. When it comes back up your problem is solved.

Alan :-D

5. Christopher Watson

Christopher Watson Private E-2

Had this issue on 250 Server 2012/2016 systems.

2012 and up - Issue: Cannot access NuGet repositories. Cannot access Bing.Com. Cannot access MSN.Com. Certain websites do not load properly such as TMobile.com W3Schools

Cause - The TCP ECNCapability protocol is causing Windstream to drop the packets. Windstream will neither fix nor acknowledge the issue.

Fix: From an elevated command prompt, type the following command and hit enter. Bing.Com should immediately begin working.

netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled

Its also noteworthy that we had this issue with 2016 on all ISPs but with 2012 it worked on Comcast and errored on Windstream Windstream refused to acknowledge the issue and refuse to fix it to this day. Sad that we paid for a second ISP to get things working, but at least we have the fix now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds