Some websites don't work with ethernet but do with Wifi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by submissive_crawler, Feb 17, 2013.

1. submissive_crawler

submissive_crawler Private E-2

I am having an issue with accessing some websites when using my ethernet, when I type in addresses or follow links nothing happens, it just hangs forever on loading the page.

The first thing I did was check my internet, I accessed the websites using my neighbours wifi and it works fine, so I switched from ethernet to wireless and I can access the same sites through my connection.

I guess my issue is certain websites won't load when using ethernet but will with wifi, 95% of the time my ethernet is fine, it is just the few sites that won't work unless I am using wireless.

I am not the smartest person when it comes to networking and stuff along this line so I need some assistance.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I've moved this thread to the networking forum so you will get a better response.

what version of Windows are you running and what browser are you using?

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Odd, normally a wired connection is better than a wireless one. And just for certain sites, eh?

OK, some info first: What OS are you running? Machine is desktop or laptop? Any problems indicated in the device manager? Are you using a firewall? Which one?

In the meantime if using windows 7, from a command prompt, in an admin account, run this line:

Code:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    and then :

Code:
    netsh winsock reset
    Restart the machine and see what the sites do via ethernet...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

From the command prompt run "nslookup www.whatever.com" replace the whatever with one site that works from wifi but doesn't from wired. Perform the command when wired and then again when connected wifi. Post the results.

5. submissive_crawler

Well duh to me, I totally forgot to attach my dxdiag report, I am sorry folks.

Yeah specific sites, amazon.com for example only works when I am connected through wifi.
    I am only using windows firewall and I shut it off but nothing happened. No problems in device manager.

netsh int ip reset and winsock reset didn`t remedy anything. I removed and reinstalled the ethernet driver, nothing happened. I used ccleaner, figured it wouldn`t hurt to try, no fix.

I am going to install a different browser and see if it is an issue beyond IE9. I am also to try a wired connection with a different modem to see if the same problem arises but that won`t be till later.

Attached Files:

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Can you please try this!

7. submissive_crawler

Wired:

C:\windows\system32>nslookup www.amazon.com
    Server: vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    Address: 192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.amazon.com
    Address: 176.32.98.166

Wireless:

C:\windows\system32>nslookup www.amazon.com
    Server: vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    Address: 192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.amazon.com
    Address: 176.32.98.166

8. submissive_crawler

Sorry, I had missed your last post about the nslookup

9. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you tried resetting the router? Power the router down for 2 minutes by disconnecting the power cord to it, and then re-connect power cord. Give it a minute to setup and then try again...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds