diskmark with ramdisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theefool, Mar 28, 2013.

1. theefool

theefool Geekified

1st run is from a OCZ vector. 2nd is from a 32 GB RAMdisk. 3rd is my task manager. I just thought it was interesting, and wished to share.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey

Interesting stuff and I remember messing with RAMdisks back when I was running XP, the ram in those days was slower than todays but if you run applications from the RAMdisk then they were super quick.

Only downside is as RAM is volatile once PC is off the data is gone but if I suppose if using portable versions of applications that do not need to be installed traditionally then if your PC is not a quick one then this method could speed up your usage of some applications.

Dataram have a freeware version application that can setup RAMdisks easily I anyone is wanting to tinker. This version has options I never had when I used it many years ago, like saving the RAMdisk contents to SSD/HDD so that you could custom install applications to it.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yep. I could store World of Warcraft in Ram, save it to disk, then reload that when I want to play. Or one could contain their browsing history on their computer. Get infected with a virus, then just (I'm guessing), and just kill the process.

But, this method is not cheap. I do look forward to having more ram capabilities for home usage. Yes, more than 64 Gig of ram. Perhaps 1 TB of ram.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

thefool, can i have your old rig when you upgrade? lol

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

When I upgrade this one? I'm attempting to donate a few old parts right now. I'm donating an "ancient" e-6600, with 6 GB ram (ddr2), and a few other items. Like gtx280, 5870, etc.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah I don't doubt at some point in the future we will be using ram over HDD/SSDs to store data and run applications, the speed of RAM makes this a perfect media.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Dunno about RAM.

NVRAM maybe. :p

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

For those curious.

NV RAM = Non Volatile Random Access Memory. I.E. reboot doesn't wipe it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds