Is there a program to do for e-mail what Lazarus does for writing on browsers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Apr 9, 2013.

1. I have suffered loss of a lot of e-mails on my task bar from fatal system freezes.

My basic problem is I'm stuck on 2 GB RAM, and I'm way overdue for a new computer, but I'm not ready to choose one right now.

The Lazarus extension for Mozilla has done a fabulous job saving my writing on browsers that was victimized by freezes. Is there any program that would save e-mail content that is killed by a sudden freeze?

Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Dell DIMENSION DIM2400
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    2.66 Ghz. 2.00 GB of RAM

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Since you're running Windows XP, 2GB of RAM is no limitation unless you're running some very demanding programs, which I doubt. For most Win XP users, 2GB is quite sufficient.

Please clarify what you mean by "e-mails on my task bar".

3. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

conceptualclarity...

The best thing you can do is to eliminate the freezes and crashes. The below will do this...

I have installed some programs on a 1.7 GHz Pentium 4 PC with 1 GB RAM, and there was a dramatic change in the performance of the computer. I also run these programs on my 2.13 GHz core 2 duo machine. The change has been like night and day. Especially in your situation I recommend installing these programs and running them at all times as I do...

Process Lasso-Settings...On the program menu-> 1. Main->"Gaming/multi-media mode" enabled 2. Options->General Settings->"Check processes every"->250 ms

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Process_Lasso_d4050.html

GBoost-Settings...Check the advanced check box on the main program interface then expand the lower section by clicking on the bottom center arrow. 3,5,6.8,9,10,14,15 set to yes

http://www.majorgeeks.com/GBoost_d6725.html

JetBoost...Download JetBoost but don't install. Open task manager. Install JetBoost->select "Customize" on the Boost menu->DESELECT all processes in all tabs EXCEPT Task Manager being careful to notice the scroll bar right of the processes to uncheck the bottom ones. Click on the portion of the Boost menu that you can see and press the "Boost" button.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/JetBoost_d7227.html

I have had all three of these running at all times for the last two months, and they use a low amount processor capability. Also, I have carefully monitored temperatures running the set up with no complications, even using the setup for high intensity online games with no troubles.

This is a work set up that will enable you to regain full control of your PC and give you the smooth scrolling and mouse movements that are required while using the internet and doing work. Windows will pop open, and your PC will be basically transformed.

BTW...JetBoost is designed to go after Windows processes and services, but it optimizes natively even with only one process selected. This is why I recommend deselecting all the processes and services in the program except the one, Task Manager (you can still open it any time...JetBoost only closes it once). For general use, there isn't any need to go after Windows processes such as indexing and so on. Another note, all these programs remember your settings, so you will only need to set them up once. Also, don't forget to set the program settings for each to run on boot automatically. If you require any instructions on this, just let me know, and I will provide them.

I promise this setup really works

4. Re: Is there a program to do for e-mail what Lazarus does for writing on browsers?

Re usafveteran : I mean unsent e-mails. I like to use e-mails like documents. For example, today on one browser I was gathering links and closing out the tabs in preparation of transferring them to topical folders on another browser.

I may fit the criteria of having a demanding load of programs. I have about 1500 tabs between Firefox, Pale Moon, and Comodo Icedragon. Since I have discovered I can create topical folders under "Unsorted Bookmarks" I am starting to reverse that bloat. I have accumulated a lot of programs in my efforts to find relief from the misery of memory deficit. And the computer is a decade old, with all kinds of obsolete and gratuitous stuff on it. Wise Program Uninstaller says my programs occupy 4.8 GB.

Re AtlBo : Thank you very kindly. I already have Process Lasso as of several weeks ago. I'm a bit wary of it, because I was experiencing fatal freezes when I would have Lasso on when I started up tabs-heavy Firefox. I did not have the settings you suggested, so I'm going to give that a try. I may wait to start Lasso till after I've got my browser up.

I will get the other two programs you mentioned. I'm concerned because the first time I ran CCleaner I overlooked the second tab and ended up killing my browser histories and my tabs I think as well. I will slowly carefully follow your instructions other than any possible clearing my history.

I've been in absolute misery. Comodo IceDragon has been running at 100% CPU tonight even with several reboots. I clicked it out, and the memory usage stayed frozen on my Task Manager at almost 600,000K . I was absolutely unable to terminate it without a restart, which took a very long time. That kind of refusal to die is rare, but it has happened several times. I was unable to write in the box on this forum, so I had to open an e-mail to write this.

As for processes and services, I get sick and tired of programs I acquire or upgrade for very good purposes that insist on saddling me with heavy real time programs incorporating into SYSTEM when I only want those programs around when I call on them. (Of course, I imagine I wouldn't care if I had lots of spare memory.) An example of that is SpyBot 2.0, which I recently upgraded to. I love having SpyBot to call on when I'm ready; I don't want it around all the time. I'm not an advanced user. I wish I had access to good advice on what to do with all the things that run on my computer. All the Microsoft stuff that runs makes my head spin.

I did what you suggested with Process Lasso. For a while my computer seemed a lot better. But then I had another IceDragon crash while I wasn't even working on it. And now it's back up to 100% CPU, memory load over 1,000,000K. Then yet another browser crash.

I do hope somebody somewhere knows of a text recovery program for e-mail.

5. I didn't see the options 3,5,6.8,9,10,14,15. I saw Instant Messengers, Music Players, Themes & Aero, Download Apps, and Internet Browsers. I chose No except on the last one, which would defeat the whole purpose.

Unfortunately, that didn't do very much for the CPU usage.

I did what you said with JetBoost. I unchecked everything but Task Manager, including all listed Services, Non-Windows services, and Others. Then I pressed Boost. It does seem to be running much better than after that, with some rough patches.

6. AtlBo

conceptuality...

Apologies...yes, I was referring to the settings in GBoost by number rather than name based on the order in which they appear in the selection menu. Basically, the ones I listed I can say for certain are safe to use.

Very nice to hear you are running Process Lasso. It's not an optimizer in the commonly understood views of an optimizer. Common views of optimizers are that they shut down processes and services and that's all there is to it. Process Lasso is more complex than that. It decreases the time between optimization refreshes and passes instructions to Windows, which does all the optimizing (whether PL is or isn't on a PC). The instructions and optimization updates happen at a much faster rate with PL on a PC, however. I am convinced that PL also introduces some algorithms for including information on PC response times in addition to speeding up the optimization timings. Natively, Windows doesn't make use of any machine based data I am convinced...only user data such as how long you use program x or y per day, etc.

Yes, there is a cost in processor usage, mostly short term, with using these three programs. The long term benefit is found in sticking with them, however. Windows is not delivered with any serious pre-bundled instructions for placing data in RAM and in the page file (this is what optimizations is actually). GBoost and JetBoost add useful data to the Windows database for this purpose and for this reason do add to the overall benefit.

The beauty of using all three is that you can achieve a balanced, harmonious optimization rhythm with your PC. Windows uses user data but updates too slowly. PL adds the faster timings and algorithms for introducing machine hardware data into the optimization dynamics. GBoost and JetBoost (even with none of their options selected) introduce logical instructions for your PC that help it deal with high intensity loads better. The complimentary effect of the programs is pure magic. I have learned that it is most important, however, to get the settings right for Process Lasso. The two I passed on to you are critical.

Overall, a newly installed version of any Windows product can be thought of in two ways in human terms...undereducated and undermotivated. It takes all three of these programs to bring the native optimization qualities of MS Windows to life.

If you try all three and stick with them for a couple of weeks and then a couple of months, riding through the changes you see with processor usage, you will come out the other side with a PC that could be considered educated and then that adjusts to even stark or dramatic changes you may make to the system effectively. It just takes time for an uneducated OS to be taught how to respond to even typical or low level usage, much less heavy usage.

The evidence for my conjectures can be found in studying a fresh installation of Windows. It runs great for a while, but when changes are made over time, the machine bogs, and it's off to the message board for help or it's a reinstallation. Performance degrades over time. Because the OS is undereducated, this happens fast with any serious usage. Because Windows' native optimization routine updates/refreshes so slowly (without Process Lasso on a PC...as far as I know there is nothing else like it available), the OS begins to ignore instructions just to keep the PC running. This is the unresponsiveness that leads to all kinds of problems.

What I have found is that if you can run these three programs using the settings I mentioned, you will get the results over time. Obviously, nothing can improve the capabilities of your parts in the ideal sense, so all PCs have some limitations on performance. However, I am really serious when I say that I believe I have stumbled on a way to remove the OS (software) as a cause for PC problems.

7. Thank you again for taking the time to provide the information.

I meant to say I chose Yes except on Internet Browsers.

I will persist. So far I haven't gotten the relief I need from them. I added a 4 GB USB drive this week, and it has made a noticeable difference, but again, not enough. Had another freeze forcing me to hit the power button today.

I have two questions :

1. Process Lasso does disturb me with its high CPU usage. It is set at High priority class. Would there be any harm in reducing it to Normal?

2. You suggested selecting only Task Manager on JetBoost. Would there be any harm in also selecting Clean RAM?

8. AtlBo

conceptualclarity

Glad you are sticking in there. I think you will be in for a cool experience long term. It's sort of like a choppy lake being turned into a perfectly glassy surface. It takes time, but PL drives Windows into a super optimize state. Nothing, I mean nothing will be left unimproved. I have noticed mine starting to have more and more of an impact on boots, even though PL is off during boots. This is because of what PL does when it's on. Windows doesn't like "hot boots" and searches for ways to make repairs when one happens. PL is the thing that spurs it to do so much faster.

On the GBoost settings. It almost doesn't matter. The idea from the developer is for you to be able to turn things off once and all at once. I was tinkering, and just noticed that all of the ones mentioned are safe as far as the system goes.

Questions
    1. With Process Lasso, it's all about cycles. PL lowers your system's background usage (things you aren't using) on a timed cycle. If you have the "Check processes every..." setting set at 250 ms, then every 1/4 of a second PL lowers the processor usage of everything that you aren't using. It really affects the way Windows responds to your usage decisions...in a positive way. Not that Windows doesn't do this natively, it just does it much more slowly than with PL running...the timings (250 ms, etc.) are faster than the native ones. It's almost like Windows acts like it was expecting something like PL to be there all along. And you are getting this process for almost no resources whatsoever.

The thing is, PL shakes up your system for the better. The system starts to adjust, and during the first couple of weeks and even months, processor usage will go up some. The main thing is that temps won't go up, but even then PL isn't really the only contributor to the rising processor usage early on. Windows steps things up to adjust to the new status quo on your machine. Processor usage goes up (it's still perfectly safe), but the result is what I call the magic. Yes, my idle is high on this PC (8-14%), but I don't care, because this PC is running like perfection.

The machine runs better, and I see it getting "smarter" too. It's not just reading my usage patterns better, also boots are solid and smooth, and errors and freezes are gone.

All in all I would say let it stay at high priority. I actually have the "Check processes every..." set at 20 ms instead of 250 ms. The developer made it possible for the most recent Beta. He told me that the processor usage of PL is mostly tied to the GUI. Well, with the upcoming version (I have the Beta) you will be able to adjust the cycles for the readout in PL and for the actual adjustments to the machine separately. That way you can lower the speed of the readout and keep the process running at a high rate. This will help with the resources the PL program itself uses.

2. With JetBoost, I would say go for it. The main thing is JetBoost is stone cold about shutting down Windows processes. If you try them one at a time, you might find some in there that really aren't important. Note of caution on Clean RAM though. This could be a process that is important for the optimization of your PC. It could be part of the overall process that assigns RAM space to programs. This optimization process actually happens to a certain degree ahead of usage. Windows places small amounts of info in RAM on the chance that you might use something soon, all based on your past usage. I think it's tied to prefetch or is prefetch, if you have heard of that.

Hope you can continue. It's sort of a battle to round off the edges of rough performance and then for the PC to achieve that snap too that you are looking for. I guess in that way, PL sort of is like boot camp for a PC. I think I'm looking at 5 months of this setup (3 more) before it's exactly what I want it to be. But it's better every time I use it in every way, so...

:major

9. Thanks for this information, AltBo. It motivates me to stick it out with Process Lasso this time around. I start it manually rather than autostart. Because of my suspicions having it run while opening my tabs-laden browsers causing freezes, I bring up the browser before bringing up PL.

I used Free RAM XP Pro to try to optimize memory, but the cure was worse than the illness. After it would do one of its autoruns, the browser would continue unresponsive for quite some time.

If anybody knows any memory programs that work better than Free RAM XP Pro, I hope they will comment.

I saw something today called MemZilla that seems intriguing. Its site says : "Normally when you perform tasks on your computer such as opening a document, viewing pictures or movies or browsing the internet, your computers physical memory called RAM is used, when you close your favorite programs some but not all of the memory used by the program is released back to the system to be used for launching other programs, this results in your computer relying on virtual memory or hard disc space used to simulate RAM, which is slower to read and write compared to Physical RAM memory, thus slowing down your computer. MemZilla works by freeing up this wasted RAM memory when you close your apps to be released fully so they can be used to launch your favorite apps faster and with less reliance on virtual memory."

10. AtlBo

conceptualclarity...

MemZilla sounds promising. You might Google for reviews, although information in the area of memory management is limited I have found. If it's free, the idea sounds good for a test.

Some notes on PL...
    The betas for PL are safe. This particular developer makes lots of small changes, and I haven't seen a single update failure in 5 months with probably 2 updates a week. So you can safely check Updates->Allow beta version updates.

This setting:
    Options->General Settings->"Recheck processes every..." is split into two parts for the latest beta. One is for the GUI (how fast the graph updates/moves), and the other for the actual system process (how fast PL optimizes). One other thing...the fastest optimization setting has been lowered to 100 ms from 250 ms. In the beta these settings look like this:

Options->General Settings->Refresh interval (GUI)
    Options->General Settings->Refresh interval (governor)

So the "Recheck processes every" is now two settings. You can raise the GUI one to one second, since it's the one that uses the most resources in PL (only when the GUI is open though).

I have some interesting information on the "Refresh interval" for the governor (this is the system adjustment/optimization rate). The menu shows 100 ms as the fastest possible setting in the beta version. However, it is possible to refresh at as low as 10 ms in this version. This will be in all versions moving forward. Here's how (you must have the new beta 6.0.3.13):

From the program menu bar:
    1. Check the following: Updates->Allow beta version updates menu bar line
    2. Click on the following: Updates->Check for Updates Now
    3. Install the most recent beta (no reboot)
    4. Click on the following: Configuration and Log->Manually edit the current .INI configuration file
    5. When the text opens, Edit->find. Type speed in the box and hit search twice. You should see:

UpdateSpeedCore

Change the number to any number down to 10.
    6. File->Save

I am using 20, and it's a huge improvement over 250 (these numbers are ms). At 20 there are no temp increases and no noticeable processor load increases, so it is very safe. I have this same setting on an old Pentium 4 with a 1.5 GHz processor. It's running much better. This PC is a core 2 duo. Perhaps you could try 80 or 50 just to get accustomed to the change, etc., but 20 is safe.

Had a long discussion with the developer. I didn't explicitly ask, but I am convinced he has the refresh setting intentionally much higher than necessary for the the governor. I can understand, since his program is the only one of its kind. I told him that I was using the setting at 20 ms, and it seemed to validate his beliefs, but the main thing here is that the temps and processor usage are normal. There aren't any danger signs...even with high graphics games, etc.

I highly recommend seeing if you can comfortably run PL at the 20 ms refresh rate for the governor (system optimization adjuster). System optimization is a long process, and the process will be much shorter if you can do so.

No worries on the betas. Super meticulous developer here...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  11. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Sorry to jump in here, but if you need a program to clean the processes off your memory, I use CleanMen on all my computers. Just download, install and forget it. It will turn on, clean, then shut itself off every 15-30 minutes, you can also run the mini monitor in your system tray and watch and even manually "click" clean anytime you choose. Most of the time I forget it's even installed on my PCs.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CleanMem_d5993.html

12. AtlBo

Nick T (Claw)...seriously, thanks for this. I'm still working on seeing how it runs with some other programs. Can't believe the upgrade for this program is only $4.95 with all the extra features. It's a very good program without the upgrade, too...

13. @ Nick T : There's certainly no problem with you joining in. I appreciate that information, and I will check out CleanMen.

@ AltBo : Thank you so much for all the very useful information you have provided on Process Lasso. I am going to implement your latest advice. I wanted to ask you concerning JetBoost and GBoost. Once you've opened them and boosted at the beginning of the session, is there any problem with going ahead and end-processing them with Task Manager to save the memory space? GBoost takes up a fair amount of Mem Usage and VM Size.

I have tried to add tags to this thread for JetBoost and GBoost, but I am not permitted to add any more. Can other people add tags?

14. AtlBo

conceptualclarity: NP on the info

I haven't checked lately with Process Lasso, as I am using one particular beta for the time being, so I don't know if there is a full update since when you downloaded it. If so, the "Options->General Settings->Check processes every..." setting is probably now in two parts. It is in two parts in the beta. You can go as low as 100 ms using the setting menu for the refresh rate for the governor now. I recommend using the config.ini file to get it down to at least 20 ms as I explained in this last post-->much better and no temp/processor problems. You can bump the GUI refresh up to 1 second since it's only for the graph on the program GUI.

I am noticing the same thing about GBoost. What I have done is take Nick T's advice and install CleanMem. CleanMem gives you the ability to run an across the board memory cleaning on a timing interval but then to specify processes to leave out. JetBoost (JetBoostTray.exe) isn't really bad on memory, so you could include it in the list to leave out of the cleaning but then perhaps leave GBoost off the exclude list. Make sure to add ProcessGovernor.exe to the list. It's not bad on resources. Also, you can set the timing for auto clean. I think the default is 15 minutes, but I have it set for 40 min, and it seems to be keeping things well in control on my PC. Let me know if you have any questions on CleanMem. There is an upgrade for only $4.95 that allows you to manage upper and lower limits for processes. CleanMem is serious business...really good program.

PS-you may find that you get better performance by adding GBoost to the list, since the cleaning will affect all the processes listed in Task Manager that aren't in your list in MemClean. By this I mean, since you are getting reduced memory use from other programs, GBoost might be worth the memory expense, depending on how your system responds. I have put GBoost on the exclude list for MemClean to get its maximum effect. I did allow Memclean to clean GBoost for awhile, but performance took more of a hit than I liked, so...Oh, one other to include on the exclude from memory cleaning list...Explorer.exe. This will give you the smooth mouse movements...

15. AtlBo, thanks for telling us how MemClean is going for you and giving us this advice.

I take it you are implying that ending GBoost after running the boost is going to have counterproductive effect.

I see that others can add two tags to a thread. Could somebody add JetBoost and GBoost tags?

16. AtlBo

conceptualclarity:

Just checked, and it looks like tags are only for the original thread post. Maybe moderators can add tags to posts not sure.

Can I ask which version of Process Lasso you are using? I'd like to get an idea of what you are looking at so I can make sure I have some idea of what your settings are like. This last beta has a couple of menu changes like the one I mentioned to you for changing the refresh rates.

As for GBoost, for your set up with a quad core, I would add a couple more gigs of RAM as soon as you can. That might make your decision easier. Anyway, if you use MemClean and leave it off the exclude list, it will be knocked all the way down to 4 MB or even less of RAM. I have 4 GB on this, and it's a duo core. I finally decided to let leave GBoost on and let it have it's memory, so I removed it from the clean list. I had it running before, but the cleaning really walloped it and took off it's "heavy lifting" capabilities. It seems to be a really heavyweight restrainer, so my PC runs much better with it allowed to have all its memory.

I can't hardly explain how good it is to get some feedback on this setup. Thanks for keeping me up to date on how it's working. It's hard to explain, but I really like the fact that I can see how it's working on another machine. Really helps.

By the way, CleanMem apparently works by restricting access to the page file. Windows responds by dumping references to items in the page file. The idea is that RAM memory is 6 times faster for sequential access than a hard drive (where the page file is located). It was OK to use CleanMem to generally clean everything on its schedule for me, but much better to set it to clean "everything except" and then add some things like Explorer.exe, ProcessGovernor.exe, GBoost, JetBoost, FBackup (my backup program), AvastSvc.exe, then players, video converters, and desktop docks. Still getting the chop down to about 24% use of RAM where it was 35% (no browser open). I'm letting it chop browsers. Haven't noticed any problems at all yet. Anyway, it only happens every 40 minutes.

Please keep me up to date on things and let me know if you have ANY questions. It's a little bit of a process to get it all set up, but the dividends have totally shocked me. I haven't had so much as a mouse catch in three months of use. It's the smoothness of the mouse movements, drags, and game play that has been most rewarding, though. The machine is always ready to respond no matter what I throw at it. The part that's hardest to believe is that performance keeps getting better. Windows just needs something to make it work for its keep...

:)

17. Hi, AltBo. I'm using Process Lasso 6.0.3.4. I haven't had time yet to implement your latest recommendations on the beta. (Pardon me for losing track of this thread a number of days.) I implemented your settings suggestions from when you began speaking of Process Lasso. On General Settings, I have Ignore Problematic Processes checked, probably the program's original setting, since I don't recall tinkering with that. I may have tinkered with Priority Class on one or two things, but other than that and your suggestions, I think it is as I received it.

Concerning RAM, I called Dell Support, and they told me I couldn't go higher than 2 GB. That was confirmed recently on a visit to Crucial.com.

On the subject of paging files, I set up one on a USB flash drive and set it at the maximum possible of 3747 MB. I kept the paging file on the C drive at the maximum of 4095 MB. I don't know if the latter move was correct. Do you?

The flash drive hasn't helped me much with performance, unfortunately. A few weeks ago I was running Pale Moon with over 300 tabs; they're now on Session Manager awaiting restoration. Meanwhile 100 tabs on Pale Moon now are about as troublesome as the previous bigger set. Even at around 20 a few days ago it was not very good. One aspect of it : for some reason Pale Moon goes on loading for some time after the wanted page is really in place, forcing me to hit the "X" on the Reload button a lot so it will cut out that crap.

Also I have noticed that the system gets unresponsive for some time when I click out Pale Moon, which was not previously happening. For the shutdown to be as difficult as the startup of the browser is a new, somewhat disturbing development.

I try to have Lasso running all the time after the startup, but I do terminate it temporarily when I run into really bad patches on the CPU Usage since it is a big factor. Having System Explorer on the Tray Menu to hover over lets me have an easy, quick way to see which programs are gobbling up the CPU Usage. Lasso is usually one of the big ones.

By the way, I have around 41 GB free space on my 111 GB hard drive. I'm going to be running an FMS File Size trial to find out what the hogs on my hard drive are. I would like to have a fee program that had its functions.

As for FBackup, is it free, and how many GB do you get? I am looking for multiple backups, the lighterweight, the better. I have come across several with 50 GB free.

18. AtlBo

conceptualclarity...

Apologies, I misread your PC specs. I thought you have a quad core PC, but I see that it's a pentium 4. I think you might be asking an awful lot of it with 100-300 tabs. That's alot for PCs with much better performing processors. You might want to take a look at a duo core like the Intel E6700 or a quad core like the Q9400. These are real work horses, and you can find a good PC with one for under $200. Something to dream about anyway.

That's great that you have your page file sized that way. Gives the PC some room to maneuver when it's looking for a place to store things there. I used a formula...1.5x the amount of RAM for the low number and 2.25x RAM for the high. That puts the low set to around 6 GB for this PC.

I think you're getting a snowball effect of problems with Pale Moon. Your PC reads your usage tendencies, so it knows when you click on Pale Moon, it's going to have to do heavier lifting than your processor is best suited to do, and it starts drawing resources from everywhere. Then it starts to use them to keep the processor from racing, once really bad trouble hits.

When you get the next update of Process Lasso (check Updates->automatic), let me know if the setting for "Options->General Settings->Check processes every..." is now split into two parts on that same menu in the update. One will be for the GUI and one for the system refresh. The system refresh uses very few resources, while the GUI can gobble up some, so it was good of the developer to split the two. Anyway, you will be able to set the GUI to 1 sec or even slower, so it won't use alot. Also, you will be able to speed up the timings for the governor refresh, which is all important.

You'll find alot of surprises when you get a look at what's on your machine. One thing you can look for is C:\Windows\memory.dmp. I use CCleaner to get rid of it as it's the same size as the amount of RAM you have on board. If you have ever had a full dump blue screen event, it created the memory.dmp file. Noone uses them for debugging that I know of, so it's safe to get rid of it.

I don't back up using a cloud. It's all right here on disks, so FBackup is just my backup program.

Some things I am just noticing you can take a look at:
    1. You could use a more powerful PC. Not as easy to get one as to say one is needed I suppose. If you do, the processors previously mentioned are very good and 4 GB is good for RAM. Also, you must have a backup drive if you are able to get a new PC, even if you just use the one in your current machine, etc.
    2. I imagine you have an amazing amount of temporary internet files, using 300 tabs. I would say use a cleaner to get rid of the files, but with that many tabs I think you are better off just to leave them. It's a toss up, but CCleaner is worth getting to know. It's a great program. You can set it to remove files like memory.dmp that I mentioned when it runs, so if it finds it, it will get rid of it automatically.

If you can get a new PC, which you really need for this type of usage, you will really see the benefits of PL, GB, JB, CleanMem, etc...

19. Hi AltBo. Thanks again for your information. I have followed your suggestions. I enabled beta updates and got the latest one. The GUI was already set to 1 second as default. I set the governor to 80 and will lower it later.

I have CCleaner, and it is set to remove Memory Dumps. That won't hurt me in case of any future blue screen event, will it?

CCleaner frustrates me because there are so many options. I don't know the ramifications of them, so I leave the great majority unchecked. If there was ever a web page which goes through item by item telling you what happens when it's checked, I would love to see that.

20. AtlBo

OK...great you got the beta. The cycles restrain background noise (processes). In the process it frees the processor, something I forgot to mention I think. Not that it lowers processor use in a tangibly noticeable or visible way (other than the governor showing retrain actions in the tray (the stop light)). PL just continually lowers processor load based on the refresh cycle (this is why the lower refresh rate is better (as low as is beneficial)), filtering out the absolutely unnecessary code calls happening in the deep levels of a computer, pushing them away from the foreground process (what you are doing on the PC). An example of PC noise might be such as processing prefetch data for desktop icons, so they can be moved faster. The cool part is that when PL restrains these kinds of things, Windows seems to get the message and commit these types of tiny calls to RAM or other PC parts and away from the processor. And PL seems to especially focus energy toward the mouse and keyboard, eliminating those stupid freezes and crashes. In the end, PL even helps Windows make use of the savings so that your icons are ultimately even more ready to move when you need to move one or some. Snappy menus (like Start Menu/right click menu) might be another area that is affected in a similar way.

Just as important as the refresh of PL imo is the response of Windows, which seems to me brilliantly prepared to make the adjustments PL prods it to make. That is to me one thing someone at MS got right. But Windows just doesn't reach the adjustment level at all ever hardly on its own, so the adjustment genius is for the most part wasted running native Windows. The Windows equivalent of PL must refresh on timings of every month or something. It's just completely abysmal. So PL refreshing every 80 or 20 or 10 ms is like adding a sweet spot to a tennis racket or baseball bat I guess I would say. Still have to tune it correctly to hit the ball on the sweet spot, but at least you have one.

I have had the cycles set at 8 for the last month or so, and it's really good. This being a core 2 duo, I think you could go as low as 20 on your P4. I have a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 PC that I have set at 20. It works so much better. I also have GBoost and JetBoost going on it.

Almost forgot to mention these settings below. I am not using these on the P4 I have, because the defaults weren't the same. I did lower them and raise them in the same fashion as below though. I sense these make a big difference with overall performance, and I think the defaults are a little bit too high for the most part. The settings area I am mentioning is...

Options->ProBalance Settings->Configuration dialog (General ProBalance settings)

Only the top area with the six drop downs matters. Here you can adjust some native features of the ProBalance refreshes (how the governor does its job). These are for the core 2 duo PC I have mentioned:

1. System CPU to begin adjustments-default 45->my setting 38
    2. Per Process CPU to begin adjustments-default 32->my setting 31
    3. Per Process CPU when adjustment should stop-default 7->my setting 5
    4. Time allowed over CPU quota before adjustment allowed-default 1100->my setting 800
    5. The minimum time for an adjustment-default 4200->my setting 4500
    6. The maximum time for an adjustment-default 0->my setting 0

Your defaults will be higher for most of these. On the 1.5 GHz P4 I lowered the first one from 75 to 58 to give you an idea. I am guessing your default number will be somewhere in the 60s for the first setting above. You can tinker here.

These help understand the restraining process a little bit better. The per process settings are about individual programs and the first one is system CPU. Everything is in miliseconds so 800 milliseconds is .8 seconds, etc. Tinker with the first 4 and until you like them, then make the 5th one your key setting. The longer the restraint happens, the longer resources go to your foreground process (whatever program you are using be it game or whatever).

CCleaner...I have almost all the settings off too. In the registy cleaner area, I have them all off. I use the program to remove temporary internet files and that's about all. It runs on a schedule in the middle of the night while I dream about my optimized PC lol. I'll see if I can cook up something on CCleaner...:major

21. I checked for the first time since communicated with you about it, and the refresh interval for the governor is back at the 1 second default, with 100 ms the lowest allowed setting. I checked, and I'm still on the beta. I now reset it to 100 ms.

The defaults on my system for those 6 settings are 75%, 64%, 15%, 1100, 4200, and 0. I reset to 58%, 50%, 11%, 900, 4500, and 0.

I don't think I've ever used the Registry Cleaner section on CCleaner. Everything is checked, including Run at Startup. That is not happening, though. I must have disabled it with msconfig.

Let me tell you also, that maybe as much as a couple of weeks ago I reset the Themes and Aero on GBoost to No, because a big chunk of my All Programs menu was disappearing after boosting.

I found Pale Moon shutdowns getting so dramatic I had to resolve to remember to kill it with Task Manager instead of clicking out. Lately I had one of those things where some program brings up Pale Moon on its own, so my latest 200 tabs+ got retired for now to a Restore Session tab where they're waiting till I'm ready for them. You may be surprised that didn't much lower the PM memory load. It's appearing to me that with length of time active, the VM size swells with seemingly little difference from number of tabs up. Any difference from clicking out tabs will seemingly not be experienced till the next reopening of PM.

Any thoughts about why PM does not know when the page is loaded and tends to keeps in load mode till I hit the X several times at the Reload button?

I wondered if extensions is a problem. I have a barrel full, but if about:addons-memory is to believed, their load is reasonable, only 90.28 MB. More than a third of that is Session Manager, which has earned its claim on memory on my PC. That total compares very favorably with Chrome extensions, I believe.

I have lots of bookmarks in topical folders, but I thought that wasn't supposed to be much of a burden. Basically every page with a software program I think I might ever want to get goes into a folder on PM. My tabs are supposed to either get discarded or bookmarked as I take time to read them.

I'm a gamer without games, lol. I guess I need to buy a gamer's computer. Nothing under 8 GB / 16 GB ceiling when I buy this summer.

22. Also, I have finally had it with Microsoft Security Essentials shutting me down by going crazy on CPU usage whenever I open Downloads folder or deal with a new program Pale Moon has just put on my desktop. I like to do some right-click scans on a new download, and MSE basically throws a fit till I close that window, so I have to kill it from Task Manager to get any relief.

I have read that a test of light memory load put Avast first, so I will be making that my AV as long as I'm on this old XP.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  23. AtlBo

cc...I would stick with Process Lasso. Managing priorities is tricky. Let Process Lasso do the work for you. Honestly, it does a better job than anyone could do trying to manage processor use themselves as it keeps the focus on what you are doing. PL is a big breakthrough for PCs.

If you want to read more on PL, I had a really good (and very long) discussion with another user. It includes some info on MemClean. PL doesn't manage RAM, so MemClean can be used effectively. Here is the thread:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=276141

Here is some short and sweet on another board:

http://www.freewarebb.com/topic/99202-latest-from-the-chamber-of-optimizations/#entry108462

24. AtlBo

Been using avast! since version 4 (it's now 8). I think I first installed it around 2009 sometime. It's good...very good...and I'll just leave it at that. Honestly, I try to use good sense, too, but with avast! I never get viruses I am happy to say. I'm on XP, too, and I don't even have use a firewall other than the XP one.

If you want to look into boosting the XP firewall for, take a look at this:

http://www.billp.com/store.html

I don't use WinPatrol, yet, but I have a feeling I will be sooner or later. I keep hearing great things about the free version, but the pay version is only a one time payment of $29.99 that includes lifetime updates. The coolest part is that it's not a virus scanner. It focuses totally on Windows and just lets you know if something is trying to change Windows in a bad way. To me, this is the very definition of what a firewall should do. The XP one, really doesn't do much of this...

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  25. AtlBo

Download the latest PL beta and change the governor refresh rate (Options->General settings->Refresh interval (governor) to 100 ms. Next go to: Configuration and Log->Manually edit the current .INI configuration file... In the notepad file, select Edit->Find->type in the word speed->click Find Next twice. You should see updatespeedcore. Reset the number to 20 and then click File on the notepad and save the file. This setting should stay, although you may have to reset it once. This is the key setting for PL, so please keep me updated on how it's going with this...

These look PERFECT for your PC!

Uncheck everything in the CCleaner registry clean section. It's a little bit too aggressive for me. Short term, until you learn more about CCleaner, just check browser cleaning options for removing temporary internet files. They are called different things for different browsers, but in any event they will usually be called "Temporary Internet Files" or "Internet Cache". Once you have this set up, you can reset CCleaner to run in any fashion you like. Totally safe to use in this way.

One thing to think about here. You may just decide to not use any of the standard cleaning options of CCleaner...even for Temporary Internet Files. If you keep the temp files, your Pale Moon tabs will open faster as much of the information won't have to be downloaded again, since it will be on your computer. See below for an alternate use of CCleaner.

One of the key uses for CCleaner is in elmiminating large log files. I recommend starting a new thread on how to use the Options->Include list feature in CCleaner. You should get some good responses for that thread.

Excellent detective work on your part I would say. That's exactly how to use the settings in GBoost. Can you tell how it's holding back interference from background processes? It's a really heavy lifter, although it doesn't quite do the job the same way as JetBoost to deliver resources to the mouse and keyboard functions. :clap

This is interesting to me. If you aren't using CCleaner (you mentioned it's not running on boot) to remove Temporary Internet Files, I guess they are being stored in your Page File and not loaded into RAM when you have the 200 tabs open. Doesn't explain why you have so much memory use with Pale Moon using only a handfull of tabs, though.

With your PC setup, 200 tabs will be huge stress. I think you would be best off having a PC with a quad core at least processor and 8-16 GB of RAM. This means you will need a 64 bit operating system as 32 bit operating systems only support 4 GB RAM. There is an XP 64 bit if you just like XP, but you will have to find 64 bit versions of your software, anyway. Therefore, if you like Windows 7, I guess you wouldn't be losing anything to go with it. This is especially true if, for example, it's on a machine you are looking to purchase. Of course, if you just like 7 better, it obviously won't cost you anything to make the switch. If you go with 7, Windows 7 Professional is a good choice. I don't like the Home versions (Basic or Premium).

Once you have a PC that will handle your 200 tabs, maybe you can then experiment more with browsers to find out what works best for you. Can't say what's causing your problem with page loading, but it's not your setup with PL, GB, and JB. I am certain of this. Looks like a subject for a good thread, but I still think you really deserve a better machine as hard as you use your browser.

BTW, if you get a new machine...try the setup on it and let it go for awhile. It will do the same thing for you, especially long term.

I mess around with games, too. For me right now, I am enjoying tinkering with QuakeLive on this PC with only 4 GB. I know I need a better PC and ASAP, but I am learning alot using this rig with its limitations. I guess it's a similar situation for you.

:major

26. Hi, AltBo. I have made the settings you recommended. I got a window today offering the latest beta update, so I took it. I had to put those customized settings on the 6 items back again.

I went to the Process Tamer forum at http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=22630. Its developer says the two programs are similar enough that you shouldn't use both. What a shame.

Everybody should get WinPatrol. It's a great program to have, not just for the rare contingency of malware infection. It tells you whenever new startup programs and processes have been added to your system. It lets you disable or delay startup programs. It is a great place to look for info on just what an unfamiliar legitimate process on your computer is all about. I have used it many times to say "No" to would-be startup programs. And a few times I've been told it should be a startup anyway.

I am thinking of getting the Comodo firewall, or maybe ZoneAlarm, I think it's called.

With XP going off service next year, I will be moving up, probably to 7. I think 8 sounds very screwed up, probably a nightmare for a user at my level. When I get my knowledge and skills level higher, I may just go Linux.

Only running it once every few weeks. I just looked, and it is set to wipe free space on Local Disk (C:). Is that a good idea? That's under Options>Settings, whereas I believe I have only dealt directly with Cleaner, so I don't know if it's been happening or not.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  27. AtlBo

Thanks, I finally updated to the latest beta and just looked. Mine were dropped too. I think there was mention in a thread on the Process Lasso board of this exact problem. The developer said he was aware of the problem, but I will post about it just to be sure.

Never heard of Process Tamer. It does sound similar. Probably has some of the same settings but not all, so I can understand why someone would say not to use them together. PL is a little bit difficult to set up by itself, and, along with the others does the job...:major

Thanks for this information. More sure than ever I will try it at some point. I'm leery of adding security software, especially if I don't think I really need it. It tends to be difficult to remove. I've had avast! for 4 years or so and have just stuck with it for that reason.

Watch out for conflicts when it comes to ZoneAlarm. I know there have been(maybe still are) some with avast! I have also read that it can be difficult to get rid of. Might be a good idea to Google something like:

*Your A-V* Zone Alarm Problem

And then do the same for Comodo, etc.

7 is good, but it's light years more complicated than XP. The biggest difference performance-wise is the addition of .NET 4.5. With XP .NET is only available to 4.0. More and more programmers are programming in 4.5. It's sort of an easy decision, considering the extra work involved in programming for Windows XP as it is...lots of little icon issues and others. XP just doesn't natively have all the options of 7 when it comes to programs, so programmers have to add them or simulate them somehow.

64 bit would give you the ability to add as much RAM as you like to your PC. You have 64 bit now, correct? If you do, you might want to save the installers (or get them and put them in one place on your PC or an external drive) to your programs, so you can add them quickly when you make your change over. I think 7 Professional 64 bit is how I would go. Don't like the Home versions...

It's actually a very good idea. I shred everything when I delete files, so I don't run that part of CCleaner. The problem is that it takes a very long time to complete on the truly effective settings. Also, it works by filling the hard drive with 1s and 0s which causes the hard drive to believe there is information there as the process is running. This can cause Windows to turn off System Restore which in turn destroys all restore points. I haven't updated CCleaner in a very long time, and there have been numerous updates, so they may have addressed this problem...

Really thanks for the grab on PL. I really forgot to check. I checked the updatespeedcore number and noticed it was fine. However, I just noticed it reverted to 100 after the last boot I guess. This was why I was worried about changing betas, but I will talk to the developer and see if I can get it worked out for upcoming versions...

28. No, I'm on 32 bit.

Would you care to elaborate?

How do you shred? I have shredded using the SpyBot right-click a few times.

29. AtlBo

Mostly on experience with XP Pro. The home versions of Windows programs don't include key features. See here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare#T1=tab01

and

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/386085/windows_7_home_premium_vs_windows_7_professional/

The good thing about 64 bit is that you can add substantially more RAM memory. Actually, the maximum RAM for all 32 bit versions of Windows is 4 GB. I don't believe talk of additional RAM (over 4 GB) not making for better performance...

I do it the same way you do, but I use a program called Eraser. I don't delete all that many files, but what I usually do is send them to the recycle bin and just keep a mental note of what's in there. Then when I add one to the Recycle Bin sometimes, I will just right click on the bin and select Erase and Eraser empties it by erasing the files.

I think it's a very good idea to run the secure erase like in CCleaner, and I used it for awhile on a schedule until I encountered a problem with System Restore one time. Then I read how common it was and went off and found Eraser, since it had the right click menu entry for erasing. I don't miss the long disk clean sessions...

30. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

31. Hi, AltBo. I finally pulled the trigger on Microsoft Security Essentials because I was fed up with its going crazy on CPU usage when I downloaded a new program.

I installed Avast, and so far I am extraordinarily disappointed. My system is running at 100% CPU Usage nonstop, even when I have no browser open. I am shocked that Avast is actually performing vastly worse. Process Lasso failed miserably at containing Avast, so I am trying ProceessTamer now. So far the 100% is unbroken. If I can't get some relief from this, I am going to have to get rid of Avast. This is absolutely intolerable. I never saw such sustained memory hogging from MSE.

Avast quarantined several things. I'm not sure whether it was appropriate or false positive. I can't find the quarantine box to investigate.

After finding something, it insisted I let it do a pre-boot scan. I did, but it was going on ridiculously long, and showing "1%" complete, so I cut it off. It should not be doing something like that at a time when there is every reason to expect I want to use my computer instead of having to wait until some time tomorrow for its pre-boot scanning to be finished.

Now I checked, and the CPU usage has settled down to normal. Avast is not acting up now.

32. AtlBo

Yeah...those scans can go on forever more or less. I've been there and done the same thing.

Just a note on Process Lasso. You wouldn't want it to contain avast! the way your PC was. That was the fault of whatever avast! removed. Process Lasso does do some restraining on its own...like the others you installed. However, the primary thing it does is trigger the natural optimization response of Windows. Once the Windows optimization awakens, then it will start to build what I have dubbed "usage blocks". These are blocks of information that can be sent to RAM ahead of your using a program. How this works is that Windows builds the block I mentioned based on how you programs, then, when you open a program, Windows searches for its information on what you usually use next. Based on all kinds of telemetry, it then sends parts of programs, including the one you will use next, to RAM. This is vital to the well-being of your PC. If it weren't there, it would be like driving a car with no oil in the engine casing.

Good idea to try ProcessTamer. It looks different to me, but don't give up on Process Lasso. Given two months it will have your PC washing your dishes. It helps to have the extra restraining capabilities of the other programs I suggested to you, too, though. They work hard, while PL manages the whole thing.

I am interested to see how it works out for you, so thanks for this post and please keep me updated.

You definitely must have picked up something (virus, etc.) somewhere that was causing the majority of your freezes.

Whatever you do, remember, optimization requires patience and lots of it. Those usage blocks have to be built up, and, honestly, Windows (all versions) is miserable at making them...actually abysmal is a better word...

avast! quarantine is in the Maintenance tab. It's called Virus Chest...

33. I was away from the computer a while. Now I'm back, and Avast is still behaving. :) I've gone back to Process Lasso.

ProcessTamer is clearly a fine program. I wish I could run both all the time. Everybody with an old computer needs to have one of those two programs.

You mean CleanMem? I do intend to get to that soon. Were there others you had in mind?

Before I get to CleanMem, I intend to try Firemin, a memory optimizer for Mozilla browsers, to replace MemoryFox, which isn't doing the job. To give you an example, I had another crash today where I temporarily lost my tabs. Even with only 3 tabs up, Pale Moon was operating in the ranges of 217,000 to 300,00 K Mem Usage and 460,000 to 574,000 K VM Size. And this was with less than 20 minutes of operation.

As I've told you before, I have reason to think my extensions aren't much of a problem. I wish Mozilla had a task manager like Chrome, that tells you everything on memory usage, including the plugins. I suspect the plugins may be generating much more memory usage. Most of the time I have Shockwave, Silverlight, and Java disabled with the handy extension QuickJava. But there are a lot of other plugins. QuickJava is not disabling Java Deployment Toolkit.

Thanks for the info on the virus chest. The first thing Avast did was go after my ShopAtHome.com toolbar, which I am not going to go along with. Then in the pre-boot scan it claims to have found 4 Java-related infections, one of index.htm on my desktop. I will let it do its pre-boot scan when I go to bed tonight.

Thank you again for all the info and encouragement on Process Lasso. It has kept me from setting it aside and forgetting it.

34. AtlBo

I don't hate to say it, but I think every single PC that exists needs PL (or ProcessTamer if it does the same thing).

Yes, for starters CleanMem. It trimmed my RAM memory from 35% to 25%, and that was with me including somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 programs in the "Ignore List". I didn't "Ignore" my browser, which means it was getting the CleanMem trim every 40 minutes. It wasn't much of a trim to speak of though on the browser. The gains were with everything else, while browser seems to be its usual self.

The others were:
    1. GBoost, which I think you said was high on resources. If you use CleanMem and pay $4.95 for the Pro version (well worth the money for your purposes), you would be able to set a limit on GBoost (and also your browser). So you could leave it off the "Ignore List" and then set a high limit, where it would be trimmed to your low limit. I have it set at 80K trim to 50K using another program that costs about $35 called Kiwi Applications Monitor.
    2. JetBoost...not a memory gulper, but does require some work to set up.

You are welcome. It's a battle to tame a PC I have learned. The reward is in staying in the battle...

35. When I got up today, the Avast pre-boot scan was still running and showing 1%. I guess if I had let it continue it would have finished sometime in July. It found another alleged Java virus. It took an eternity to get the computer restarted after killing the pre-boot scan with Esc. As a result I cannot see myself doing anymore scans in the pre-boot mode. Do you know why Avast wanted to do the scan pre-boot?

36. AtlBo

conceptualclarity...

The pre-boot scan is scheduled to identify and quarantine malicious agents that might be running prior to the virus scanner being active in Windows...

This might sound strange, but you are 2 for 2 with boot scans finding something malicious. It think I would run another one but set a time limit of like an hour...run it some time when I wasn't going to be using the PC. If that turned up one, I think I would try a fifteen minute one, then maybe 5 minutes or even a minute.

Who knows maybe that scan is finding the problems in the first few seconds of the scan...

37. That's a great idea, but I checked, and I can't see a place to set a time limit on a boot scan.

I will have to do that, because after the latest update, GBoost has gotten noticeably heavier.

I have noticed that System Idle Process, which I'm not familiar with, is a very big memory hog on my computer also.

38. AtlBo

conceptualclarity...

Just an important note. Don't mess with System Idle Process. If you add up the CPU % being used by your programs as seen in Task Manager, System Idle Process will be seen as using the rest. That will always be true. The only thing to remember about SIP is that the higher it is, the less CPU your system's processes are using.

The CPU has to count with the system as at full throttle or it will fail. As a response, the system keeps the CPU busy using the System Idle Process...

39. I ran a post-boot Avant scan while sleeping. It did complete, and it found two more viruses. One is with the index.htmp of Downloads folder, designated as JS:ScriptPE-Inf [Tq].

I also got dozens of Error: Archive is password protected messages from the scan, but no actions were recommended.

So you don't know of a way to put a time limit on a pre-boot scan?

40. AtlBo

conceptualclarity...

I don't. Actually, I haven't ever run one. You mentioned that you left it on all night and then shut it down (I think that is what you meant) when you saw that it was only at 1%. When you said that the scan found some things, I thought it might be a good idea to run another one just to see if it was finding them early in the scan...

I am just guessing that the scans will take less and less time. Avast probably builds a database of files already scanned (using the date and size or whatever)...

41. How can I get Avast to leave shopathome.com alone? It keeps on wanting to get rid of the toolbar which I chose to install. Also I can't land on the shopathome page on Pale moon and a Chrome-family browser. I think Avast is causing that.

42. AtlBo

Hey, conceptualclarity...

Security tab->Anti-virus->

1. File System Shield->Settings->Exclusions-> [Enter shopathome toolbar process name]
    2. Web Shield->Settings->Exclusions->[Enter shopathome internet site address]

Hope this helps...

43. AtlBo

conceptualclarity...

Add this to the list to do for your shopathome tool in avast!:

Security tab->Anti-virus->Behavior Shield->Settings->Trusted Processes-> [Enter shopathome toolbar process name]

44. Thank you very much, AltBo, for this information. This evening Avast acted against a Cygwin setup that has been going on for a whole day, I think, declaring it an infection. I scanned that file very thoroughly with multiple databases prior to running the setup, so I'm not about to yield on that. So I entered it as well as ShopAtHome toolbar.

When I was in Web Shield->Settings I changed the setting under Actions for PUPs and Suspicious from Abort connection to Ask. I think that was very important, and I hope it will make false positives less onerous in the future. A lot of innocent files get labelled PUP or Suspicious by one security program or another.

I did however enter check marks under Web Shield Settings-> Sensitivity for Test Whole Files and Scan for PUPs and Suspicious which surprisingly were not checked. I hope I won't live to regret that.

I have never had a download like this Cygwin. I think I probably shouldn't have downloaded the whole package. I saw a reference on one page to doing a partial download of it.

Where do I get the process names?

45. I have FileAlyzer and FoldAlyzer in my right-click menu, although they're kind of over my head at this point.

46. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I have avast! Free Antivirus. I just visited ShopAtHome.com and avast! had no reaction. I have not installed the ShopAtHome.com Toolbar and would never do so. Some of the toolbars you find on the web can be troublesome. See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/486379/shopathomecom-toolbar-cant-remove/. Besides, I see no need to even use ShopAtHome.com, and I do plenty of shopping online. I just go directly to the website I want to visit and search for what I want. But, if I did use ShopAtHome.com, I would do so without the toolbar.

Regarding Cygwin, I'm wondering why you want to install it. Are you a Linux user? If you want to use Linux, why not just install it in a dual-boot configuration with Windows or run Linux as a virtual machine underneath/within Windows?

47. I believe you, but my Avast has given me grief over ShopAtHome Toolbar. Maybe actually possessing it bothers Avast more than the website.

I am close to getting my first rebate from them, and one is in line for more rebates from them if you have the toolbar. I keep it disabled by View->Toolbars when I'm not shopping.

I'm a Windows user. When I downloaded PDFedit, I read in a couple of places you needed to get Cygwin to be able to run it.

48. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Again, avast! has no issue with ShopAtHome.com, i.e. the website. I am not at all surprised avast! is giving you alerts regarding the toolbar. I would think that should be sufficient warning to you to move you toward not using it. If you want to persist in using the toolbar, I think you will be doing so at your own peril. I don't think anyone is the forum will be telling you the toolbar is OK to use; expressing such an opinion simply ignores the reality that the toolbar is NOT a desirable one to have installed.

And, I really don't think you need the toolbar to get coupons. For example, I can visit Kroger.com and get online coupons that I can use at Kroger. I see that I can do the same at Target.com.

Exactly where did you get PDFedit?

49. I did thoroughly scan it at the time I downloaded it as I do with all my downloads. I scanned it with VirusTotal's big base, with SpyBot, WinMHR, and Iobit Malware Fighter, and quite likely also with Jotti, Metascan, and VirSCAN. It has not been giving me any discernible problems. I was just looking at a long list of malware toolbars on the SpyHunter site. Babylon and Delta were there, but not Shopathome.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfedit/. The initial recommendation for it came from mdonah at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=276630.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds