BSOD tcpip.sys just started yesterday

Discussion in 'Software' started by freeme, Sep 25, 2013.

1. freeme

freeme Private E-2

Hi Experts,

Running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop, 32-bit, 2G RAM.

I just started receiving a BSOD every few hours or so, beginning yesterday. Only big change I've made to the computer is installing the AVG 2014 free anti-virus upgrade yesterday. Seems to be when the trouble started, but can't be sure.

The BSOD seems to be mentioning tcpip.sys

I read elsewhere online that reviewing a minidump file might be useful. I have one located at c:windows\minidump\*.dmp if you need me to attach it.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    freeme

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It could be AVG, especially if there's some 'sandboxing' component in it now; more likely that you have a remnant of a previously installed security software that's causing interference, or perhaps your network/wireless controllers(s) need updated drivers.

Copy any recent minidumps to your Desktop then zip them and attach the zip here, we'll try to find the cause.

3. freeme

freeme Private E-2

Minidump file attached.

Attached Files:

4. freeme

freeme Private E-2

fyi, performed chkdsk and memtest, no errors found.

5. satrow

Yes, the Wireless driver (and the Ethernet driver, too) dates from 2009, that's going to need updating; try the Toshiba site first (I doubt if there'll be a more recent version there), if no recent driver, carefully read and follow the instructions here and attach the requested zip file back here, I'll try to find a recent driver from the details supplied.

athr.sys Mon Sep 21 18:58:25 2009 (4AB7BEC1)
    Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN driver for CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter - D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.B) discontinued 2008
    http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=athr.sys

Rt86win7.sys Thu Feb 26 09:04:22 2009 (49A65B16)
    Realtek NIC
    http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Rt86win7.sys

6. freeme

freeme Private E-2

correct - the toshiba website only has the 2009 files.

zip files attached.

Attached Files:

7. satrow

8. freeme

freeme Private E-2

drivers have been updated. Will let you know if this fixes my problem after a day or two of use.

Question, though. When I used the windows function for each of these adaptors to search for and automatically update the drivers online, Windows came back and said both of these adaptors were using the latest driver. Why would they say that, if there are updated drivers out there?

9. freeme

freeme Private E-2

everything's running smoothly after a day of use.
    Will reply again later if symptoms reappear; otherwise, continued thanks to MG!

10. satrow

I don't like to confirm that a BSOD is 'fixed' until a week -> 10 days of hard usage is done without incident. There are some exceptions, for which 3-4 months free of problems would be considered 'fixed' ;)

11. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I'm also experiencing a similar issue with my Toshiba Laptop. The Mini dump file shows:

On Tue 7/22/2014 4:10:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\072214-63866-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x9BC78)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x1000029, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF8B8C9C78)
    Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: TCP/IP Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 7/22/2014 4:10:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hal.sys (hal!KeRaiseIrqlToSynchLevel+0x8F)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x1000029, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF8B8C9C78)
    Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hal.sys .
    Google query: hal.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Hope you guys can help me on this.

Thanks,
    Johnny

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds