Recording music - Dream Studio v Pro Tools

Discussion in 'Software' started by garryspicer, Mar 10, 2014.

1. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Since 1992 I have been composing & recording music using computers, prior to that I was multi-tracking onto tape.. Several years ago I installed Pro Tools 8 & Reason 4 onto a laptop running Vista. It has worked quite well but I am hampered by the lack of power whilst doing mixes. I have upgraded the RAM etc. but found that 1Gb Ram was all that could be added (2Gb in total) which does not really allow me to mix down without continually adjusting settings in Pro Tools. After a while I was totally over it and decided that I needed a bigger computer. I duly got a desktop, again running Vista, with enough Ram and tried to install the software onto the new computer. Well that was a disaster. The software and hardware and the new computer did not want to play ball. The support from Avid (Pro Tools) was abysmal to say the least.

I have continued using my old set up but was keen to find an alternative without spending huge amounts of money.

Hedon James, from one of the threads, kindly pointed me in the direction of Linux. I had installed Redhat 8 onto my computer around 1995 but only played with it sporadically because there was no recording software available for Linux at that time (that I knew of).

Yesterday I installed Dream Studio onto the desk top (dual boot Vista / Dream Studio) and am awaiting my hardware interface (Lexicon Omega) which will arrive this week.

I would be grateful for any tips and tricks anyone has that will make the recording experience what it's supposed to be, FUN.

2. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Nice link, Garry! I found you!

I'm coming from a WinXP computer, running Cubase LE with the Lexicon Omega. I think LE is a "lite edition" of Cubase that comes with the Omega. I've been very pleased with the Omega since the day I unboxed it. I'm not aware of any other device in the Omega price-range that can take 4 simultaneous inputs and send to 1 bus, or 4 separate buses simultaneously. And for entry level hardware, I think it sounds quite professional. Minimal noise in the channels, very clean.

If I can figure out how to unload an MP3 file here, or link to a site, I'll provide some samples of my music recorded using the Omega and Cubase.

But this is a LINUX thread, so I just mention WinXP and Cubase to let you know that I was also looking to migrate to an inexpensive non-proprietary solution. I think the whole world knows WinXP computers are going to self-destruct in April 2014 ;-), so I thought I'd better figure out a solution before that happened. Actually, I figured it would be easier be send/receive/trade music tracks with other collaborating musicians at remote locations if I could find a suitable "free" DAW software program. After MUCH research, I settled on Ardour because it most resembled the Cubase interface that I was familiar with. There were also versions for Linux, Mac, and a Windows derivative named Harrison Mixbus.

http://ardour.org/

Some other programs I considered were Rosegarden, LMMS (Linux Multi-Media Studio), Qtractor, Muse(?) and some others I can't remember.

I also learned about Multi-media oriented Linux distros, which pre-packaged software programs for artistic types. These included packages for graphic artist workflows, photographers, video and/or music production. Focusing on music production for my needs, I learned of Ubuntu Studio, AVLinux, and DreamStudio.

http://ubuntustudio.org/
    http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html
    http://www.celeum.com/about-dreamstudio/

I was most interested in DreamStudio, as it strongly resembles the Ubuntu Unity interface I am used to, but Unity isn't the lightest desktop environment and I didn't want to waste any precious CPU cycles on anything but sound processing. So I focused on AVLinux and UbuntuStudio, eventually choosing UbuntuStudio for its Ubuntu base, rather than the Debian base of AVLinux. Just a personal preference. Besides the XFCE desktop of UbuntuStudio sort of resembles the Ubuntu desktop I was used to before Unity came along.

I'm still working on learning how to operate Ardour and Hydrogen (drum machine), so I don't have anything to share yet. With time being a rare commodity these days, I'm not sure WHEN I'll have something to share, but I've been pleased with the sound quality of my tinkerings so far.

I definitely think I'm on the right track for replacing my windows DAW with a Linux version that works and sounds equally awesome!

3. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Hi Hedon,

I am waiting on the Lexicon Omega before I start anything as I want to have everything at my fingertips when I start Ardour. It was ordered yesterday so I hope be up and running by the weekend. You might want to join Make Tunes,
    http://www.maketunes.com/ and upload some of your music in mp3 format.

There are a lot of helpful people on the site. I used to be a regular until my heart attack but stopped everything during my recovery. I did post some stuff yesterday and said hello to one of the guys there who was very encouraging and welcomed me back.

On an aside, when my computer boots up it dual boots to Dream Studio / Vista. When I choose Vista it then comes up with a choice of Vista or Ubuntu.

If I choose Ubuntu the screen hangs with the prompt 'grub'. If I hit enter it just repeats the prompt.

If I choose Vista it starts doing a disk check which I can stop by hitting any key. It then boots into Vista normally.

Any ideas / theories? :confused

4. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Sounds like maybe Dream Studio DID overwrite Ubuntu, as you wanted it to, but the GRUB menu still has an Ubuntu entry for some reason. And GRUB won't boot Ubuntu because it isn't there.

Are you familiar with the terminal? From the terminal, type this command, or copy & paste:

Code:
    sudo update-grub 
    This will update your GRUB menu. Hopefully, Ubuntu will disappear from the menu choice. If it does not disappear, we may have to manually edit your boot menu. As long as DreamStudio & Vista are indeed booting, everything is working fine. Your boot menu is only showing an option that technically doesn't exist and therefore, hangs.

The other potential option is that Ubuntu is still on your system, but the boot flag is missing from that partition. Does DreamStudio have gPartEd installed by default? Do you know how to check? Do you know how to install it if itsn't there?

Sorry if that sounds condescending. It isn't meant to be. I recognize the Unity desktop is a strange bird, especially to a newer user, and I'm just trying to establish your level of familiarity before I assume what you DO or DO NOT know about the Unity desktop environment (DE). FWIW, the Unity DE is what interests me about DreamStudio, as screenshots indicate that it's nearly identical to the Ubuntu 12.04 Unity DE that I'm familiar with.

For future reference, there is an Ubuntu icon at the top of your "launcher" bar on the left side of your screen. Clicking on this icon opens up the "dash" with a search bar. Alternatively, you can press the "Super" key on your keyboard, which is the "windows icon" in the bottom row, usually next to the left CTRL key. From the search bar, type what you're looking for, i.e. "terminal" and the dash will serve up results related to that search; programs, files, etc... As you get more familiar with using the dash, you'll realize you can use "functionality" as a search item to find what you're looking for, without knowing exactly what it is you want to find. Play around with some searches and get familiar with it...it's how you find things in Unity!

5. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Had a chance to listen to your tunes at http://www.maketunes.com/audio/user/26113

May I assume you're a multi-instrumental guy? keys, guitars, vocals...all you? I can totally relate to the one-man band concept. sometimes by choice, sometimes because it's the ONLY choice!

I prefer your guitar-oriented stuff. The Doof Doof Song is a nice happy-go-lucky piece. Dreamtime in Suburbia does indeed sound nostalgic. Good news is kinda hypnotic. I hear some Hendrix flavorings in Flower Power. Em Jam is a powerful piece!

You're a very eclectic dude Garry Spicer! If I was a betting man, I'd wager that you are a Zappa fan!

6. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

I will try your suggestions re: the grub prompt. I don't know if gPartEd is installed or how to install it if it's no,t but will sort it out by
    a/ googling
    b/ driving you crazy.
    I did figure out how to open a terminal window and I have a Linux for Dummies book which I bought around 2000. Don't worry you don't sound condescending and anyway I need all the help I can get. The Lexicon Omega should be waiting for me when I get home according to the tracking information the vendor e-mailed me.
    I will probably do everything over the weekend as I do have to spend some time with my wife. roflmao

Regarding the music, I do everything myself although I have asked several of my muso friends to help me record but all they want to do is jam. That's fine but I prefer to multitrack which they find tedious. I do record them from time to time but it's basically a 'live recording' and I just push the buttons and then mix and send them the songs as mp3 files. They don't write or perform their own stuff, it's more of a party thing for them.

I started playing keyboards in the 80's when I was using a Tascam Portastudio and for 2 years got sucked into that void known as 'MIDI' and its associated vodoo.. I use the term playing loosely as multitracking allows me to fake my keyboard skills. At the moment I have too much equipment and not enough time, I have not recorded anything recently as I am still getting the body up to speed. I can only play guitar for 5 - 10 minutes at a time (although with multitracking that is more than enough time) before my arms give out due to health issues. It will take 6 - 12 months before I'm fully functional again (hopefully).

Finally - just as well you're not a betting man. I was into The Beatles, Hendrix, Cream, Yes (saw them live) amongst others (too many to mention). A few of my mates were into Zappa but apart from Weasels Ripped My Flesh I had not heard any of his stuff.. However about 7 years ago I was dragged to the Zappa plays Zappa concert. I was mightily impressed, especially as Stevie Vai was with Dweezil. I have listened to a few things on You Tube and brought the DVD of the tour.

I think most of my influences were from my parents when I was about 10 years old as they had a varied and wonderful record collection from Tchaikovsky to Art Tatum, Benny Goodman to South Pacific. That was before we had TV. I'm not into any style, it's all music. Same as computers - Windows or Linux, don't really care as long as I can get the job done.:dancer

7. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

try to update grub, discussed in post #4, and see if the Ubuntu entry disappears from GRUB during your boot process. If it does NOT disappear, we'll install gPartEd to investigate other options. gPartEd is the "gnu partition editor", which allows you to create, modify, and/or delete partitions on your disk drive(s). We'll use this as a tool to VIEW your existing partitions, which should provide clues as to whether Ubuntu is there, but not booting, or whether it is NOT there (overwritten by DreamStudio), but still in the GRUB menu.

From the Dash (top left icon in launcher), type in "gPartEd" in the search bar and see if it is already installed. (Ubuntu does not install by default, and I assume DreamStudio does not, but let's verify that.) If it is already installed, click on the gPartEd icon and start gPartEd. If it is NOT installed, look for an orange grocery-bag-with-handles icon, which is the Software Center. For new users, this is the BEST way to install/remove software. With the Software Center open, in the top right search bar of Software Center, type in gPartEd and look for the software entry. Simply click and install gPartEd.

With gPartEd installed, go back to the Dash (see above), search for gPartEd, and click to run. gPartEd will provide a GUI display of your hard drive. A brief overview and sample screenshot can be found here:
    http://gparted.org/

The sample screenshot shows a dual-boot hard drive. The hard drive (sda) is partitioned into a linux partition (approx 255GB EXT format), unallocated area, a windows partition (approx 20GB NTFS format), and a linux swap partition (approx. 5GB). A successful dual boot WILL have 1 EXT partition, 1 NTFS partition, and 1 swap partition; there may or may not be unallocated areas. If your drive resembles this, you're dual-booting DreamStudio & Vista, with an erroneous GRUB menu.

A triple boot WILL have 2 EXT partitions, 1 NTFS partition, and 1 swap partition; there may or may not be unallocated areas. If your drive resembles this, you're triple-booting DreamStudio, Ubuntu & Vista, with an erroneous Ubuntu configuration somewhere, probably missing a boot flag.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH GPARTED AT THIS TIME!!!! You WILL bork your system!!! We just want to VIEW your system and verify what is under the hood, so to speak. Any changes to your partitions with gPartEd MUST be done with a LiveCD, similar to your original installation from a LiveCD. Most LiveCDs have gPartEd installed for this purpose; most distros do NOT install gPartEd due to the potential for a new user to completely destroy their system and have to start over. With a smiling face and a friendly tone, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...VIEW ONLY!!!!!

Let me know what you see. Dual-boot or Triple boot? Can you post a screenshot?

8. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Thanks, I will try to do it asap. I have a few commitments over the next couple of days so will find it hard to do anything then. I do have Easus Partition Master on Vista so could send you a screen shot using that program.

9. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

[​IMG][/URL]/IMG]

Screen shot as requested. I figured out the Ubuntu partition. When I first joined this forum and you told me about Linux having music capabilities I partitioned the hard drive on Vista and called it Ubuntu. I then had my heart problem and completely forgot about it.

What I would like to do is get that partition ie /dev/sda5 - ntfs - Ubuntu and merge it into /dev/sda6 - ext4 and increase it in size to 200Gb. Is that easy to do?

My Lexicon Omega arrived but I do not want to do anything until I have the partitions sorted.

Hope I'm not being to difficult.:-o

10. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I've never seen that before, but your explanation makes sense. And your screenshot seems to confirm your explanation. I'm not familiar with your partition program (Easeus?), as I've only used gPartEd. And yes, gPartEd can do exactly what you want it to do. All you need is your DreamStudio LiveCD, which is based on Ubunut and should have gPartEd installed by default. Shut your computer down and boot into the LiveCD, as if you are testing a new distro on your system. Once DreamStudio (I'll call it DS) is booted, click on the Dash (upper left icon) and search for gPartEd; click on gPartEd to start the program.

I imagine your partition program you used before is similar to gPartEd, as many of them are based on OpenSourceSoftware (OSS) programs. Here's a link for using gPartEd with Ubuntu systems:
    http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-resize-partitions-with-the-ubuntu-or-gparted-live-cd#.UyMJJts25TM

Here's a link to a comprehensive guide to using gPartEd (I'm not too proud to admit there's information in there beyond my pay-grade, but I've resized partitions, deleted old partitions, "absorbed" adjacent partitions, and re-formatted partitions):
    http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual

Your screenshot resolution makes it hard to identify some of the smaller features, such as the yellowish blurs next to sda2, sda6, and sda7. What are they? Are they yellow triangles with exclamation points? If so, you'll need to right click on that partition in order to find out what gPartEd is warning you about. Is this screenshot from gPartEd running on DS? If so, your partitions are mounted, which would explain the warning. If you took this screenshot from a LiveCD session, your LiveCD may be accessing the swap partition in the EXT partition (that may explain why the NTFS partition does NOT have a warning). Explanation on Ubuntu forum as follows:
    I want to be very clear that we don't do ANYTHING with partitions as long as warnings are present. We need to fix the warnings first. If your screenshot is from gPartEd running on DS (it appears this is the case), we need to boot from LiveCD and verify the warnings are not also present in the LiveCD environment. If the same warnings are present in the LiveCD environment, we need to right click the swap partition and turn it off. But don't change anything with your partitions themselves until the warning triangles are gone. If neither of the above solves the warnings, you need to right click on one of those partitions with a warning and post back here what that warning is. DO NOT PROCEED until the warnings are gone, as you may make your machine unbootable!!!!!

Once your warnings are gone, I note your hard drive is 1TB, with Vista occupying approx 880GB as sda1 (although only using approx 150GB), and an approximately 50GB EXT partition of which approx 33GB is NTFS formatted (sda5), approx 15GB is formatted as EXT4 on sda6 (this is DS, evidenced by the "/" mount point), and approx 4GB is formatted as swap. Based on this, in order:

1. Right click on sda5 and delete sda5 (ntfs partition) and allow it to become unallocated (you can't resize a partition into an existing partition; "unallocated" space must be created first; it's a 2-step process for each operation)
    2. Right click on sda6 and resize that partition to "merge" or to "absorb" the newly available "unallocated space".
    3. Click on checkmark to "apply changes"; be patient, could take awhile!
    4. Close out the LiveCD and boot into DS. DS should now occupy an approx 45GB-51GB partition, up from approx 15GB!
    5. Open terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    (see post #4?)
    6. Shutdown DS and reboot; verify you can boot into Vista without the "Ubuntu" snafu, thus confirming a successful dual-boot config.

With this accomplished, NOW we'll address changing your Vista/DS allocation. You had suggested a 200GB DS partition, which is a good size for what you'll be using DS for (50GB is likely too small, but I think you already suspected that!). FWIW, you could even do a 50/50 split, as you have the drive capacity and the unused area. You could even give DS the larger disk area, and shrink Vista to the minimum disk area you think you'll need in the future. Based on your existing disk usage and the knowledge this is a Win Vista OS which likely is circa 2009-2011, you could probably shrink your Vista partition to approx 250GB, IMO. That would still allow approx 100GB of headroom to add future programs, data, files, etc... That allocation would yield approx 250GB Vista/750GB DS. It's your machine...your call. But using your original suggestion of 200GB DS, do the following:

7. Shutdown your computer and boot into the LiveCD environment again.
    8. Start gPartEd. Verify no warnings are present (see above!!!)
    9. With no warnings present, right click on sda1 (NTFS partition); choose "resize partition" and use mouse to move right partition boundary to left until you're satisfied with the amount of newly decreased disk area (this is "shrinking" the partition).
    10. The difference between the "old" Vista size and the newly shrunk "new" Vista size should now be "unallocated" area.
    11. Right click sda2 (extended); choose "resize partiion" and use mouse to move left partition boundary to left until you've "merged" or "absorbed" the newly "unallocated" disk area (this is "enlarging" the partition).
    12. The EXT4 partition will likely have been renamed from sda6 to something else, but should still be the only EXT4 partition. If step #5 doesn't automatically enlarge the EXT4 partition (I can't remember if it does, or does not), right click on the EXT4 partition and drag the left slider bar to the left as far as possible.
    13. Your swap partition is a good size and is fine. Leave it.
    14. Click on checkmark to "apply changes"; be patient, could take awhile!
    15. Close out the LiveCD and boot into DS. DS should now occupy an approx 200GB partition (or whatever you decided on), up from approx 51GB!
    16. No need to update grub, as we haven't changed boot options, only disk sizes.

If all goes as planned, you are now set! FWIW, we could've done all this in one fell swoop, but I wanted to break it into incremental steps so that we can troubleshoot if ANYTHING goes wrong. Also, if we encounter an issue that is above MY pay-grade, I'd like for someone smarter than us to be able to look at this thread, this post in particular, and jump right in with a diagnosis and fix.

Do you have a Vista installation/recovery CD/DVD? If not, create one or get your hands on one, for safety's sake. Same with Vista data/backup! If this gets bungled in the worst possible way that neither of us can imagine, our "nuclear option" will be to delete the Linux partition using gPartEd and "enlarge" the Vista partition to the whole disk, which is what you had before you started down the linux path. Once that is done, we'll need to repair the Vista boot record (windows doesn't recognize GRUB) to make Vista bootable again. THEN we'll reinstall DS with the LiveCD, the way that Ubuntu wants to do it, without the nonsense of creating manual partitions for the install. But that's our worst-case fallback scenario.

I don't tell you all this to scare you. On the contrary, I recognize this sounds like a complicated process to someone who's never done it before (I remember being that guy!), and I'm hoping to instill you with the confidence that we can do this another way, even if you mess it up beyond your ability to repair. That Vista disk is key, though!

That's a lot of information I just laid on you. But considered in smaller steps, it's not too difficult. Take as much time as you need to digest it and ask any additional questions. When you're ready, this could be accomplished in about 1 hour, depending on your computer speed, as the "shrink" and "enlarge" operations are the most time-consuming and all you can is watch it and wait for it.

Alternatively, your system is booting and working just fine, even if a little quirky. We can leave it alone for as long as it takes you to get comfortable with what you need to do. Your machine...your call! :)

11. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Thanks Hedon,

I might take a step back and delete the Ubuntu NTFS partition via EaseUS Partition Master as I created it from there. Now a couple things you probably need to know:
    1/ I do not use a Live CD. Initially I downloaded the DreamStudio_Unity-12.04.3-i1386.iso file. I copied the image to disk using ISORecorderV3RC1x86. I then installed DreamStudio directly onto my hard drive.

2/ I have found gPartED and it's on my system. The screen shots are from that program.

Here are some more screen shots. I hope they are more readable.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I keep getting frustrated :confused by not being used to the Linux interface after years and years of Windows but am persisting. I know DreamStudio is GUI but simple things like left, right and double click which I used in Windows and don't do anything in Linux is doing my head in

12. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Well that was a briliant idea. Deleted the Ubuntu NTFS partition and my computer refuses to start. It boots up and then hangs with the following message
    error: unknown filesystem grub rescue.

No matter what I type in it goes back to that message. I have tried
    sudo update-grub
    Nothing.
    The only way I could get anything was to boot from the CD - It asked me if I wanted to do an install but I said no and am working from the CD I guess.

Very frustrating. The weird thing is I can see Windows Vista from the Home

I will try to send some images asap.

Visitors just rolled up.:cry

13. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Here are the images
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  14. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Hi Hedon,

Apologies for all this stuff. Whilst I'm not overly fussed with Vista and strangely enough can open all my pictures / music / documents from within DreamStudio [Home Folder - Vista shows as a 944Gb file system] I would still like to access it via a dual boot system, which may mean reinstalling / repairing Vista which could mean that all partitions may be wiped. No big deal as I would just re-install DreamStudio and shrink the Vista partition to 250 - 300Gb.

Could you please check the following link

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

and tell me what you think and / or advise me of any other option. Would I need to burn a GParted Live CD seeing I can access it from the DreamStudio disk? I would like to recove Vista for my mail and one or two proprietory programs that I would prefer to run under Windows.

Thanks in adavance for any advice.

I thought I'd be recording by now(sigh):-o

15. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Looks like Garry was a busy guy yesterday. A couple comments and a couple questions:

In post #11, you said:
    I'm not familiar with ISORecorder, but I can't imagine that the method of installation matters, whether LiveCD, WUBI, or ISORecorder. They all install to the hard drive and you've obviously installed DS successfully. Your confirmation of gPartEd screenshots from your DS operating system was important, as that explains the padlocks on your EXT partitions; everything looks as it should.

In post #12:
    You lost me here. HOW did you delete Ubuntu NTFS partition? From within Vista using Easeus? You said your computer hangs at boot. Do you get to the GRUB menu, which doesn't boot, or does it hang before it gets to the GRUB menu? If you can get to the GRUB menu, we can boot into a "recovery mode" and THEN update GRUB from a terminal. (This is what I had anticipated) If you cannot get to the GRUB, we have 2 other options and I'm debating which is a better choice for your situation. I'll present both options, make a recommendation, but let you choose which you prefer. But I need more information before a recommendation

How are you booting from a CD? A Linux LiveCD? In post #11 you said you installed DS with ISORecorder, not a LiveCD.

And it's not really weird that you can see Vista from a Linux OS. Linux will read NTFS partitions, and have access to NTFS data. Your Windows partition will indeed be "mounted" in Linux as an approx 880GB file system. Any numerical differences of 880GB vs the display amount is likely attributable to the difference in how Windows vs Linux vs DOS calculates MBs of storage. Again, everything is appearing as it should from a Linux partition. Doesn't go both ways though, as Windows will NOT read your EXT formatted Linux partition without some additional software. We'll deal with this later.

In post #13:
    Thanks for the screenshots! Your screenshots indicate you have successfully removed the Ubuntu NTFS partition! It appears your boot issue is a GRUB issue. See my questions above regarding post #12.

In post #14, you said:
    That is the "nuclear option" I previously mentioned. But please fill me in on my questions before you go there. I think you're just a "recovery mode" boot and a "sudo update-grub" away from fixing your issue.

The gPartEd link shows the same information (although a little older, I think) as I linked to you. But the tutorial is still valid. That IS what we're working towards. But you shouldn't need to dowload a gPartEd LiveCD if you're booting from a LiveCD, as your LiveCD should already have gPartEd on it. See questions above regarding booting from CD.

You're basically one step away from fixing your boot, but I need more info/answers to verify that you ARE where I think you are. I think you're on track. So far, so good...

16. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

1/The initial DS installation was done via Vista. I popped the DM Live CD in and chose the 'Install DS on this computer' option. No problem - after the installation I did not need the CD anymore as I had the dual boot option.

2/ I deleted the Ubuntu NTFS partition from within Vista using EaseUS as that partition had NEVER been used for anything and I had created it using that same program.

3/ After deleting that partition I get this when booting from the hard drive

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

4/ The only way I can run this computer is to boot from the DS Live CD.
    When the option to install comes up I exit out of that screen and DS runs from the disk.

5/ I have tried the Vista repair option from the Vista installation disk but it tells me nothing needs to be repaired.:cry

17. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Okay, I think I understand now. For whatever reason, there was something on that Ubuntu NTFS partition (GRUB boot flag?) that got deleted. Completely unanticipated, but that might have something to do with your installation method & creating a partition for installation, when Ubuntu install creates the partition it wants for installation. Just guessing here.

Easy fix, actually. Boot from your DS LiveCD and follow these instructions to the letter, as they are more clear & detailed than I could've written!
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

This should make your machine bootable again, with a dual-boot option of DS or Vista on the GRUB menu! FWIW, this should complete the process of the "extra partition" removal and the "sudo update-grub" to fix the boot menu. This was always going to be the tricky part; you just threw a curve ball in there due to steps you took before you actually installed DS, and your choice of tools to do it with.

I'm not fussing you, as it is YOUR machine, but please stick to the indicated tools and steps in Post #10, as much as possible. If we need to deviate, it'll be a little easier to troubleshoot. For instance, we would've had to do this anyway (with the Ubuntu NTFS partition), but with our time differences, we've lost a whole day to this troubleshooting. I'm trying to get you up and running ASAP. You are SOOOO close, and this was a head-scratcher for me, but with your additional information and details, I think the "boot-repair" instructions will have you back up and running. With the GRUB issue resolved, everything else should be smooth sailing.

I'm assuming your machine will successfully dual-boot after the boot-repair, but confirm it! After successful confirmation, shut it back down and boot into the LiveCD environment again. Referencing Post #10 below, go to step #2 and follow through to #4. (I would estimate 5-15 minutes to complete)

Steps #5 and #6 will have already been done with the "boot-repair" above. Steps #7-end should take an additional 15-45 minutes (best guess, depending on machine speed, processor, etc...). I think you're approximately 60-90(?) minutes from plugging in that Lexicon Omega and arming your tracks in Ardour!

18. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Thank you for the time you've put into this so far but I'm just about over it.
    Of course in true linux fashion it did not work, it may be that nuking everything is the only option.

Booted into DS Live disk, followed the steps from the link (chose option 2)
    Yes, see lots of stuff happening and then get the following:
    w: conflicting distribution: http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net precise Release (expexted precise but got stable)

Ah well, let's see if it's possible to launch Boot-Repair from the Dash,
    Got this,

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Hmmm, OK let's open a Terminal,

Got this,

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I think we are just about of options.:cry

19. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

We still have other options. I'm sorry you're having these issues directly out of the gate, but this isn't really a Linux issue. The DS LiveCD would have carved out the partition it wanted/needed, formatted that partition for its liking, and installed without a hitch. I have done this dozens of times with no issues whatsoever. You just got ahead of me in your excitement and used methods I wouldn't have suggested. With all due respect (and in a friendly tone), this is a "Garry issue" and a Windows issue, as Windows created a partition for a Linux installation that Linux installed a "boot flag" to, which we subsequently deleted. If we had known about the extra partition beforehand, we could've performed the boot-repair issue ahead of time, THEN deleted the un-needed partition without issue. An analogy would be that we have "changed the deadbolt lock" on the door, and are just now realizing our deadbolt key doesn't work on the handset lock. We can't re-install the old lock, cuz it's been taken to the trash dump, so we need to cut a new key. If we had known, we would've cut the new key first, right?!

It isn't really fair to say "Linux doesn't work" when Windows created a booby-trap that detonated once Linux was already on your system. We all go through a learning curve in the migration process...it's just that you're experiencing a steeper curve than most, much sooner than most (lucky you!). Once we unwind the Garry/Windows error, everything else should fall into place and behave as expected.

The above errors appear to be related to conflicting repository information between Ubuntu and KXStudio. We knew DS was based on Ubuntu, but it appears that KXStudio is also one of the bases. Instead of quick & easy shortcurts, we're gonna have to go the full route. I can understand the frustration on your part, but we still have options.

We can boot into the DS LiveCD environment and manually edit the GRUB settings (not recommended for a Linux newbie, so I've purposefully not suggested this in favor of "easier" paths); from the DS LiveCD, we can try to install GRUB to your EXT drive; or, we can download an ISO and create a Boot-Repair CD; or, as a last resort, we can boot into the LiveCD and choose to "Install DS" over the existing distribution, but alongside Windows.

Option #1 - Terminal Repair of GRUB
    I think installing GRUB from the DS LiveCD is the easiest path at this point. Here is an overview of what we're trying to do:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
    The "Graphical Way" is the Boot-Repair CD (we can still do this, discussed below), but I think the terminal will be the easiest at this point. The terminal way instructs, as follows:

Based on your previous screenshots, Ubuntu/DS is located on /dev/sdb, so you would need to type the following into a terminal (or copy/paste):
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    Upon completion of terminal activity, shut down the LiveCD and try re-booting from the hard drive. Let me know if you're successful.

Option #2 - Boot-Repair CD
    If you are NOT successful, for whatever reason, in my opinion the Boot-Repair CD is the next easiest path. Choose Option #1 to get Boot-Repair, instead of Option #2, then click link to Download-Boot-Repair-Disk (step #1). The download page will have a choice of version (64-bit or 32-bit) for your machine; if you're unsure, go with 32-bit as that is universal for all machines, and download the ISO.

Burn the ISO to CD to create a bootable LiveCD. From the DS Dash, type "Brasero" for the disk burner. When Brasero starts, choose "Burn Image", pop out your LiveCD, and replace with blank CD for burning, and burn Boot-Repair LiveCD.

With Boot-Repair LiveCD created, reboot in BR LiveCD and follow the instructions on the Option #1 page link:
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

You may want to print those instructions for expediency, before you reboot. The actual Boot-Repair activity will take less than 5 minutes, maybe less than 1 minute.

Option #3 - Reinstall DreamStudio
    Alternatively, as a last resort, you can boot into the DS LiveCD, choose the "Install OS" option, and watch for the Installer to identify existing OS on the hard drive to be installed to. It should identify Windows AND Linux (EXT4) and ask how you want to install, with options that look like:

1. Wipe disk and install Linux to entire disk
    2. Overwrite existing Linux and install Linux alongside Windows and choose between OS at boot (dual-boot)
    3. Install Linux alongside existing Linux and Windows (triple-boot)
    4. Something else/Custom Install.

You will want Option #2. With the appropriate option selected, you should be familiar with the remaining installation steps.

Summary of Options
    In summary, I would recommend starting with Option #1-Terminal Repair above, then moving to #2, then #3 until your issue is resolved. Once you have successfully re-booted into your OS....STOP, and forget the remaining options.

Finally, no matter which option works, we're still left with the task of merging "unallocated disk area" into the EXT4 partition and enlarging that disk to accommodate your music/media creations. Once we have done this ONCE, you can "set it and forget it", and never have to deal with this issue again. But if you choose to re-allocate partition sizes, new partitions, etc..., you will already possess the knowledge (and unwanted experience!) to do so.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  20. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

My bad, I made a mistake in the prior post and I'm not able to edit it. So I'll copy/paste the section where the mistake is, but edit and correct the mistake as follows:

Option #1 - Terminal Repair of GRUB
    I think installing GRUB from the DS LiveCD is the easiest path at this point. Here is an overview of what we're trying to do:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    The "Graphical Way" is the Boot-Repair CD (we can still do this, discussed below), but I think the terminal will be the easiest at this point. The terminal way instructs, as follows:

Quote:
    "* Open a terminal. As of Ubuntu 11.10 and 11.04, this can be done by opening the Unity Dash (you can click the Ubuntu logo in the top panel or use the Windows key on your keyboard) and typing in "Terminal", and clicking what comes up. On earlier versions, you can achieve this by going to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal.

You are then presented with a standard bash prompt, type:

sudo grub-install /dev/XXX

where XXX is the device of your Ubuntu install. (eg: grub-install /dev/sdb).
    Based on your previous screenshots, Ubuntu/DS is located on /dev/sda2, so you would need to type the following into a terminal (or copy/paste):
    Code:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Upon completion of terminal activity, shut down the LiveCD and try re-booting from the hard drive. Once you have booted back into DS, open a terminal and type "sudo update-grub" to update the GRUB menu. Let me know if you're successful.

CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED IN RED, to be easily found by you.

21. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Hi Hedon,

Thanks for all your kind advice so far. I know it wasn't a Linux problem and I was just getting frustrated. The time lag between posts is a drag as well.
    OK, the story so far.

I'm up and running with DS and Vista being accessible. I had to go with Option 3 as the first 2 did not work.
    Option 1

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Option 2
    Downloaded the file into DS Downloads successfully and opened 'Brasero'.
    Followed the instructions to burn the image to disk but after an hour+ of nothing happening I aborted the burn.

Option 3
    Reinstalled DS, it did not give me an easy option to overwrite previous installation, there was a custom setup option but seeing my track record I chose not to use it. I'm now able to dual boot and have tested both DS & Vista and they are up and running.
    Will include pictures of the partitions with my next post and we can resize as per your previous suggestion.:-D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  22. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

YAY! Congrats on getting it done! (and look at all the new knowledge your are acquiring?!) Or is it experience? Have you ever heard that "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you came for?"

I knew you were getting frustrated, as I would've been. You WANT to be playing with the Omega and recording, but your computer won't even boot anymore, even though it used to. The universe was conspiring to slow you down. I was just hoping to keep you engaged long enough to win that battle, knowing how close you were. With this behind you, we can hopefully make some real progress now!

By all means, post screenshots of your partitions from gPartEd. I'm curious what you have now, as I'm not sure exactly what you did, only that you succeeded. Let's take a look, and we'll clean up from there.

In the meantime, let's learn something from this fiasco and install Boot-Repair on your system. Refer to post #17, but instead of booting from a LiveCD, let's install Boot-Repair directly in the Ubuntu/DreamStudio OS.

Follow the link to the Boot-Repair page, jump to option #2, and skip to the "open terminal" part where you add the repository, update the repository list, and then install Boot-Repair from the new repository.

With Boot-Repair installed, run Boot-Repair using the "recommended repair" settings. This should provide a "safety net" for future boot issues due to partition resizings.

23. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

OK, all done. I've installed Boot-Repair etc. :dancer
    Here is a screen shot of the system

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I will have to wait until Friday / Saturday before I do anymore. I will try to set up the Lexicon Omega then. Any tips would be appreciated.:highfive

24. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Just discovered another issue. The keyboard has gone strange in DS. When I need to type an email address the @ symbol can only be accessed by using the " key and vice versa. It only does it in DS as I rebooted into Vista and the keyboard works fine. Any ideas? :confused

25. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

In the top right of screen, click the "gear" next to your USERNAME and choose "system settings". In the "hardware" section choose "keyboard"; on the "typing" tab, choose "layout settings" link near bottom. Verify you have the correct keyboard layout for your area/country. I have English (US) for USA. Would you have English (UK), (US), or something elese for Aussies? To change keyboard layout, click the "+" icon to add a layout and find what you're looking for.

If your keyboard layout is correct, but you still get "weird" behavior, you can customize your keyboard functions with "keybindings". I have customized my Fn keys to initiate my e-mail, music player (start/pause, next track, prev track), volume up/down/mute, take a screenshot, and power off. You can "customize" your "2 key" (or ANY key you like!) by going back to "hardware" and "keyboard", and selecting the "shortcuts" tab. From the shortcuts tab, click the "+" to add a new shortcut; name the shortcut and click "apply"; from the list of "custom actions", click on the "disabled" area of the newly named shortcut/keyboard binding and click the keyboard series to associate with the action, such as "shift 2" and the keyclicks will change from "disabled" to whatever you assigned.

In addition, to "fixing" your e-mail ampersand function (@), you can re-assign ANY key(s) to do ANTYHING you want it to!

26. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Interesting?! I note that your previously deleted Ubuntu NTFS partition, which became unallocated disk area, was located by DS and DS has installed itself to entirely occupy that available partition; your DS boot partition is now sda7, as referenced by the "/" notation, which is the "mount" point of your system files. Also, I believe you have TWO bootable DS installations, as your previous installation is still there, but no longer automatically "mounts" to the "/" location. Referencing the prior post #10, these instructions are applicable from the LiveCD environment, with modifications in red:

Once your warnings are gone, I note your hard drive is 1TB, with Vista occupying approx 880GB as sda1 (although only using approx 150GB), and an approximately 50GB EXT partition of which approx 33GB is your newest installation (sda7), approx 15GB is formatted as EXT4 on sda5 (this is also DS, which WAS evidenced by the "/" mount point in previous screenshots), and approx 4GB is formatted as swap (sda6). Based on this, in order:

1. Right click on sda5 and delete sda5 (14.7GB EXT4 partition) and allow it to become unallocated (you can't resize a partition into an existing partition; "unallocated" space must be created first; it's a 2-step process for each operation)
    2. Right click on sda7 and resize that partition to "merge" or to "absorb" the newly available "unallocated space".
    3. Click on checkmark to "apply changes"; be patient, could take awhile!
    4. Close out the LiveCD and boot into DS. DS should now occupy an approx 45GB-51GB partition, up from approx 15GB!
    5. Open terminal and type

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    (thanks to the pre-emptive installation of Boot-Repair and the Recommended Repair, GRUB should already be installed on the partition; this command will "modify" GRUB to remove settings from the GRUB menu that are no longer available as a partition, such as sda5. See post #4?)

With this accomplished, you can reasonably enjoy your DS installation with a 50GB OS. However, at some point, you will probably want to allocate more disk drive space to DS, by taking some from Vista. Whether you do that now, or at a later date, resume Post #10, starting with step #6.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  27. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Sorry I'm a bit confused:confused (read paranoid) and don't want to do anything rash, given my track record From what I can gather.

1/ I should boot from the DS Live CD to do the changes i.e. delete sda5,
    then merge sda7 with the freed up space.

2/ Take out the DS Live CD & boot to the hard disk and check partition sizes via gPartEd.

3/ Open a terminal and do the grub thing.

Then I should be able to install the Lexicon Omega.

28. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Yes, yes, & yes! You sound like you understand, although I can certainly understand the hesitant paranoia! Once you have completed the above, don't forget to continue with Post #10 steps 6-? in order to resize your DS drive from 50GB+/- to whatever you decide is appropriate. FWIW, 50GB is smallish, but it's probably workable. Perhaps you'll want to wait and decide later if 50GB is enough, or just how big you want to make it?

Furthermore, you can install the Omega and fire up Ardour NOW(!) if you want!!! Your machine is bootable and is up and running again! All we're doing is cleaning up your partitions (and growing DS from 33GB to 50GB+/-) and cleaning your OLD Ubuntu installation (15GB+/) from the GRUB menu once complete.

If you're in the mood to finish this completely, by all means proceed as discussed and be completely done with it. But if you need a break from your stressful week, nothing bad will happen from firing up the Omega, plugging into the DS, and arming some tracks in Ardour! As a multi-instrumentalist, I think you'll also enjoy tinkering with the Hydrogen drum machine...choosing different "kits" and plotting your own custom beats. I get lost in Hydrogen for hours at a time! When finished, you can import your Hydrogen drum track into Ardour (I haven't done this yet, but have read that you can), and that shoud be MUCH cooler than playing against a generic "click" track!

The more I think about it, the more I think that Garry SHOULD play with the DS and Omega in order to rinse the rough start with DS from your memories! Go do something with the DS and scratch those creative itches. We can pick up the technical stuff, right where we left off, after you've experience the REWARDS of what you've accomplished so far!!! Enjoy!

29. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Hmmm, to the dark side will you be wanting me to go.roflmao

Tempting. Tell me, can the Omega be plugged in and Ardour will recognise it?
    (Is it an easy install) I would love to get stuck into recording but time is the issue as I have spent so much on the computer lately, other things were pushed into the background and now have become urgent, well my wife thinks so.:cry

30. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I plugged in my Omego and UbuntuStudio recognized it immediately, installed new hardware drivers, and I was good to go...so yes!

What version of Ardour does DS provide? You should be able to verify from Ardour, in top right "about" or Help>About. UbuntuStudio 12.04 provides 2.7, I think, so I'm guessing DS will provide the same stable version. But 3.0 is also pre-installed on many distros and it looks like 3.5 is the latest version (stick with what DS provides)!

Downloading a user manual would probably be helpful. Try this site, and click the PDF link:
    http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/Introduction/

Any additional questions/background may be found here:
    http://ardour.org/

I'm not sure how similar Ardour is to ProTools, but I imagine a lot of the concepts and layouts will be somewhat familiar! Enjoy!

31. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Version 3.5.357 (built from revision 3.5-357-gce4d125).

Plugged the Omega in, and then guitar into omega - got sound OK.
    However tried to record into Ardour. Nothing happens i.e. does not record audio.
    The other thing is that there is no sound from Hydrogen. A bit strange as when I tried it via Live CD it worked.:(

32. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Wow, you have the latest & greatest version! When looking for an Ardour manual, make sure the version is for 3.5. I have 2.8 and downloaded a manual for 3.0; when learning how to "arm" tracks and choose input busses, screenshots in 3.0 manual were not identical to my 2.8 version. They were very similar, but some options were in different places. I don't remember exactly, but the lesson I learned was to download the CORRECT manual, LOL!

If you can hear the guitar through the Omega and the Omega is showing a signal on the front panel, I suspect your track isn't armed correctly, or the input bus hasn't been selected correctly. That's an Ardour manual issue.

Also, I vaguely remember certain Hydrogen sample presets didn't play. Try different samples until you find one that plays sound. Once you see how a Hydrogen pattern is constructed, then looped, you will have an "a-ha" moment and start tinkering with your own beats. Hydrogen is unlike anything I've ever used before. ANYONE can construct a drum pattern, with no knowledge whatsoever of how to play drums. Perhaps this is how Rap-music stars got started? :p

33. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Thanks Hedon,

I've joined the Ardour Community so over the next week I will be playing around with the software. Hopefully I can figure it all out. There is always YouTube. If I am able to record anything substantial I will post it on Make Tunes and let you know.

Apart from music my other hobby is astronomy and my latest toy is this.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I still have to set it up, i.e. calibrate the finder scope and collimate the mirror.
    As I still work full-time you can imagine I am seriously pushed to find spare time as I have other commitments as well. I would love to retire, but my wife and bank manager don't think it's going to happen within the next 5 years (I'm 62).:cry

Anyway thanks for all you help so far.

On another note I am curious to hear some of your recordings. Is there any special reason why you have not posted any of it? I did note that in one of your posts you mentioned that you neede to find a way of getting your files into the mp3 format. If that is the only reason it is quite simple to do this.

34. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I've got stuff that's already in mp3 format, I just needed to upload it somewhere for sharing. I got sidetracked with tech support in this thread and forgot to follow through. Here ya go:

https://one.ubuntu.com/files/shareoffer/fd47e3af-8a5c-491d-918f-12e725b051cf/

This was recorded from a friend's basement studio awhile ago, but it's what got me started on my own basement studio quest. I'm sure I've got some stuff recorded from my basement studio, but I'll have to find it and post it first. Stay tuned... I've got nothing from my Linux studio yet, as I'm still learing how to use it in my "spare time", which is practically non-existent these days. I completely understand not having enough hours in a day or days in a week!

35. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

36. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Impressive.
    Faves are Uncle Sam - Gather it's a statement.
    Swept Away - Dreamy
    Tomorrow - Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee - Guitar that is.

OK - what's your contribution or are you doing it all yourself?

37. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Thank you. Always nice to hear someone else enjoys your artistic creation, right?! I wrote everything, but just played guitar on these, all rhythms and leads. Edit: and sang lead & harmony vocals on Already Gone and backup vocals on everything else.

Stuff from MY basement studio is usually where I play multiple tracks, sometimes EVERYTHING. I tried to upload an mp3 to MajorGeeks but it didn't like that file type. I'll upload some more stuff to my Ubuntu1 account in a down moment, then provide a link here.

38. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Hi Hedon,

Just a quick question. What does JACK do? I gather it's some sort of interface. I have joined the Dream Studio / Audacity forum, but my brain is turning to mush trying to make sense of it all.
    Must be old age catching up:cry

39. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Yes, JACK is an "audio connection kit". FWIW, I don't completely understand it myself, but Linux has ALSA as audio software in the kernel. Most, if not all Linux distros use ALSA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture

As I understand it, PulseAudio is "middleware" or a front-end to control ALSA. Again, most, if not all Linux distros use PulseAudio as a sound server to interface between your preferred sound applications and the kernel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio

And finally, JACK, is a low-latency alternative to PulseAudio. Most Linux Audio Distros use JACK for audio creation/processing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit

For instance, my UbuntuStudio has PulseAudio controlling ALSA by default. But when I start Ardour, or another audio creation/production program, PulseAudio is automatically terminated and replaced by JACK, presumably for low-latency reasons and to better interface with a low-latency tuned kernel. I have no idea why JACK doesn't completely replace PulseAudio? There must be something that PulseAudio does better than JACK in an everyday distro?

That's the extent of my knowledge of Linux audio software. And FWIW, your head will be swimming with new knowledge for quite awhile now. Try not to blow your own mind! Take it slow, digest what you can, and accept the fact that some things just need to marinate in your brain longer than others before it clicks. No rush, buddy! For now, just learn to make the software do what you want it to do...understanding will come later, in due time!

Also FWIW, you have come a LOT further than I did in my first 30 days! 5 years later, my home is Windows-free, except for 1 machine, and that is by choice because sometimes Windows IS the right tool for the job. Unfortunately, that machine is WinXP and is about to be disconnected from the internet and used as an isolated workstation, never to be updated again, until it dies. I figure I should be extremely comfortable and possibly even proficient with Ardour by then! :cool

40. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Thanks, I will be doing a lot of reading. A bit frustrating as everything is running but I can't get any sounds into Ardour:confused.

41. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Are you using the Omega? May I assume you've double-checked your connections between the computer and the Omega?

Do you hear anything from the Omega if you plug headphones into the Omega jack, rather than the computer headphone jack? How about checking the monitor mix dial? I've missed that one before, thinking something was wrong, when all I needed to do was tweak the monitor mix.

42. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

The Omega works fine. I can hear all my instruments - my mixer is going in via Line 1 and Line 2, you tube of the net - no problem, audacity etc all OK

I cannot get Ardour to record. I think it may be a cofiguration problem but at this stage cannot figure out what is wrong.:confused

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Whenever I hit record it starts but no sound is going to the track.

43. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

If you can hear sound from the Omega headphone jack, then Omega is setup correct. Move headphone to computer jack and check for sound; if no sound, doublecheck Omega connections/jacks to computer; if sound is present, move back to monitor mix dial on Omega and pan extreme left/right to see if there's a difference (recording should be close to middle, with a mix of input/output sound). If no difference, I think it's a JACK input connection issue.

Based on your screenshot, I can see Ardour has tracks armed, etc... But I can't see the bottom left bus input (it's cut off) and even if I could, the resolution is such that I can't read it. Check the Ardour manual for your version 3.5 regarding selecting input bus for track and arming for recording. This tripped me up too, and I was checking the Ardour 3.0 manual and scratching my head about screenshots not looking right until I figured out my Ardour was 2.8?! I'm fairly certain you've got a JACK input bus wired incorrectly, but start at the front of the chain and squeeze the bubble backward (like we described above) so we don't miss anything simple.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds