Can someone help me set-up Online Armor?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alyab123, May 16, 2014.

1. Alyab123

Alyab123 Private E-2

Having not yet moved out of XP, I decided to try a heavy duty firewall. I tried zonealarm, but it was bulky, and complicated, so I uninstalled it. It left bits of checkpoint trash all over my PC. But without it I knew I was inviting trouble, so I went ahead and tried Comodo.

I basically had the same problems with Comodo: I don't know what I'm doing, I have no idea how many ports or IP addresses I have, whether or not I use a proxy (is K-9 web protection a proxy?), or how/if to set up DNS servers. I also don't recognize many processes that are apparently part of basic windows. I went ahead and tried Online Armor because the gui seemed a bit more comprehensible. But it isn't!

Since I'm having trouble knowing the safest arrangement for all three, I think I will just stay with Online Armor, but I would like help in setting up the important parts, and confirming my security. I don't know how to re-set it to default settings, but I want to sort of start from scratch.I want to have a better idea if the firewall is actively protecting me, or if too many unfamiliar programs processes were tagged as trusted in learning mode.

I need somebody patient, because despite the fact that I've read about firewalls, and ports, and IP addresses, and DNS, I don't understand what I'm reading. I feel so stupid, not being able to know the security of my own pc!

Thank you, if you have the time for this, please let me know when you would be online. I won't be available to do this until either about midnight After Saturday night May 17, or Sunday afternoon and night May 18.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I would await the all clear from any malware as you have a malware question http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=286056

XP is old and some newer firewalls are bulky to say the least so if you do not have 4GB ram then your PC may run slower in browsing, if you are looking at DNS then use http://www.opendns.com/ best around, but its not for circumventing illegal downloads.

So what do you need to protect yourself from, what Service Pack is your XP and what security software do you have installed already. What do you use your PC for as this helps to narrow down security possibles.

3. Alyab123

Alyab123 Private E-2

I appreciate your response. Yes, it does make sense to make sure I'm free of malware, but I don't even know if my settings are OK. I'm looking for someone who is either familiar with Online Armor from Emisoft, or is a guru of sorts in terms of Firewalls... because I do have it installed, and it is working, but I want confirmation that I set it up correctly.

re:DNS, I was just trying to give an example of something that I don't understand! I don't understand what DNS is or isn't, so I don't know if it matters that I don't know.

You are kind to make a suggestion, but what I am saying is I don't even know if this is relevant to me at all. I'm only looking if there is someone who wants to try to explain this stuff to me. I've tried to read some tutorials, but they just went over my head.

If not, it's fine, and thank you anyway. I don't think it makes sense for me to set up a program that I don't understand at all.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I know of at least one person who has posted to this forum that uses Online Armor and is quite satisfied with it. But, apparently, he/she hasn't visited the forums in a while or hasn't read this thread. Hopefully, he/she will see this and be able to assist you. Please be patient.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds