PCI Graphics ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by supersam, Aug 15, 2004.

1. supersam

supersam Private E-2

Hey guyz,

i wanna get a new graphics card for my pc, but i have no AGP slot..

Can any 1 suggest me a good PCI graphics card that will be able to play games like Far Cry..

Or if any 1 knows a way i can convert from PCI to AGP..

Please help me.. Thanks in advance.

2. I3roknI3ottle

I3roknI3ottle Private E-2

U would have a tuff time Playing Far Cry on a PCI GFX Card. U might wanna opt for a new MoBo, and then get a new 8xAGP Graphics card. Wut are ur system Specs?

3. supersam

supersam Private E-2

Windows XP Professional, Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz, 382MB DDR RAM, 40GB..and my Current display card is :- Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Controller.

Please help..

4. I3roknI3ottle

I would look into purchasing a new Mobo, U prob could pick one up for about $40-$70 bucks and then a nice Graphics card for $170-$200 so u can play Farcry.

5. supersam

supersam Private E-2

dun wanna get a new mobo at the moment...

i've heard of a chip that can convert a PCI slot into a AGP..

does any 1 know where on the net, can i buy 1 of those, or any 1 got any other ideas..

(is there no nice PCI Graphics card?)

Thanks again..

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I don't believe there is a way to convert a PCI to AGP. An AGP slot has a direct line to the CPU, separate from the PCI bus,and faster data transfer rates for faster graphics processing. Also, the actual slot is different, an AGP card will not fit into a PCI slot. Are you sure you don't have an AGP slot? It would be a brown slot at the top, set back about an inch or so from the PCI slots.

7. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

yeah, there is no way to change pci to agp. i had the same problem as you. i got the nvidia geforce fx 5200. it runs most games just fine, but the newer uber graphics intensive wont work. no matter how good of a card you get, you are still limited by the bandwith bottleneck of the pci.

by any chance is this a dell?

8. supersam

supersam Private E-2

Its an IBM, and from what i've heard is that IBM Computers dont come with AGP slots, as they are mainly used for business and not gamming.

Hows the nVidia FX5200 PCI card ? Can it play games like CS,Far Cry, NFS HP2 ? Please let me know.

I was surfing the net last nite, and i found this picture of a Card that can convert a PCI slot to a AGP.

Please have a look at this picture and post back your replies.. Thank u all for your help.

Attached Files:

• PCI.JPG
      PCI.JPG
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
  9. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

hmm..looks like it might work, but you will still only have the bandwidth of a PCI slot.

also, please provide me the link to where you found that,. id like to look it over.

EDIT: correct me if im wrong, but isnt that something that allows you to put a PCI card in an agp slot? the slot is PCI, the part that fits into the mobo is agp,

10. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

No, that plugs into a PCI mobo slot to allow for an AGP card.

Looks pretty ghetto to me. I mean, how many cases are going to be tall enough to fit a full-size card on top of this adapter widget?

Really, just save your money and buy a new system.

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Running an AGP card through the PCI slot will cause you to lose all of the advantages of an AGP bus, in other words, it will be no better than a PCI card's performance. If you want AGP card performance, there isn't a shortcut, you will need an AGP equipped mobo. It isn't just the card, it's the way the card is connected to the processor itself.

12. supersam

supersam Private E-2

Thanks for all your help guyz.. but i guess i wont be pickin up a new mobo or a new PC anytime soon..as i just got mine a few months back..

i'am still in 2 minds, weather or not i should pick up the nVidia PCI FX5200..or should i just forget abt the whole thing and be happy with my PS2, and keep away from PC games.. any suggestions ??

Here are some more photo's of this gaget..

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20020601/image/nap7.html
    http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20020601/image/nap8.html

and here are the websites : (they're all in japanese btw)

http://tech.sina.com.cn/c/2002-11-08/16453.html
    http://tech.sina.com.cn/c/2004-05-19/0928363784.shtml

13. I3roknI3ottle

not even a AGP 5200 could play FarCry...well. and u prob would have to up ur ram because doesnt PCI graphics card use ur ram memory? also PCI graphics cards are more xpensive then AGP Cards. and by the time u buy that adapter and a PCI Graphics card u prob could of bought a new MoBo.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds