Internet explorer 6.0 - problems with downloads

Discussion in 'Software' started by katquick, Nov 9, 2004.

1. katquick

katquick Private E-2

I've got problems with spyware and adware on my computer, i have got advice on how to get rid of it, by downloading spybot and ad-aware. However, internet explorer doesn't seem to let me download anything. I managed to get spybot after trying loads of different sites. It won't work from your site or most others. I have tried reinstalling IE but that doesn't help. Is this something to do with the stuff infecting my computer or is it seperate? I'd be glad of your help!!

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

what happens in IE when you try to download something, does nothing happen or does it try to download and then close or what??

also, have you tried another browser like mozilla firefox and see if the same problem occurs?

3. katquick

katquick Private E-2

It says that it is "Done" but the browser is just blank, nothing pops up, nothing happens. I tried to download another browser but it doesn't let me download anything.

I don't know if it is harming my computer but it is very annoying because a lot of the time when I try to go to a web page it redirects me to another page.

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

if it says done then does it appear in the place you usually download files to? (usually my documents)
    also, can you go to add/remove programs (i'm assuming its xp yes?) then click add or remove windows components, de-select the IE box and click next and it may fix it, i can't see it happening.
    also, failing those two steps, have you got an I.M., such as MSN Messenger and see if I could send you a file via that??

5. katquick

katquick Private E-2

Yeah I've got MSN messenger, I've got windows 2000.

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

ok could i possibley have your address and see if i can send you the download of mozilla firefox and then see if you can download after installing that and begin using?

7. katquick

katquick Private E-2

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

As a last resort, download Spybot S & D, etc., via someone elses PC. Burn it to a CD and load them on your PC, via the CD. As I said, last resort, but it will work. Bazza

===

9. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

no worries bazza, we've fixed it, firefox worked a treat.

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Glad you got it fixed, or at least bypassed. Must try FF myself one day.:D Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds