New Asus P4P800S-X won't post or display video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bper, Nov 11, 2004.

1. bper

bper Corporal

Hi,

This is a new board, P4 2.4A processor with a PC2700 512MB memory module in bank 1, an AGP GeForce2 AGP 64M 4X video card. The case has a 400W power supply. These are the only components installed so far.

When I first powered up the machine, I got a post then video. I went into CMOS to change the time and disable quick boot so that I could see a memory test. I also changed Plug and Play OS to Yes since I intend to install XP. When I saved and exited, rebooting showed no video or post. Since then, when I power on the power supply, the power indicator on the board lights up and the keyboard lights up brightly then stays very dimly lit. When I hit the power switch on the case the processor fan spins, but I get no posts and no video. I tried to reseat the memory, move it to a different bank, reseat the video card, and try a pci video card and nothing changes.

Can anyone help?

2. Vision Master

Vision Master Private E-2

Have you tried to reset your CMOS ? There usually is a jumper next to the battery on the motherboard your manual should explain how to do it.

3. bper

bper Corporal

Thanks for responding!

Yes, I did attempt a CMOS reset by following the instructions in the manual. Moving the jumper, but that didn't work. I also tried removing and re-inserting the battery but that didn't work either.

4. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

Unplug the machine, pull the batterty, move the jumper to clear cmos and leave this way for a half hour to ensure a good cmos clear. Then put everything back to normal and see if it will post.
    Sounds like corupted bios, you may need Rma.

Rick

5. bper

bper Corporal

OK, here is the weird thing. I found that when the mouse is connected to the board, the system won't post or boot. When I remove the mouse, It does post and attempt to boot, but I have no OS installed. I tried different mice to see if it was a bad mouse and had the same problem.

I intended to install XP on the computer, so I need the mouse. I decided to do the install as far as I could with the keyboard only. After getting to the point where a mouse was required, I shutdown the computer. I connected the mouse and the computer posted, booted from that point on with no trouble so far. I re-installed the OS with the mouse attached and have had no other occurrences.

I can't explain it, but the problem went away. I wish I understood why.

6. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Is the mouse a usb mouse or ps2

7. bper

bper Corporal

It's a PS2 mouse.

8. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Yea that is strange, I know when try to load a os with a usb mouse can give you trouble guess because of usb drivers not being loaded but I don't know why with a PS2 and I don't see how you could have changed anything with that method. Were they optical, trackball or did you try both? Just wondering if they were all optical if somehow they were'nt being recognized.

Rick

9. bper

bper Corporal

They were both old trackball mice that work problem free with other win32 machines. I don't want you to scratch your head too much. I just don't understand it, and wish that something could make sense.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds