Power LED lit on ABIT NF7-S but nothing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Momadu, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Momadu

Momadu Private E-2

Hello,

Could someone please offer a little help. I am new to the computer building thing. It seems like a great hobby. This site has been a great help for all my computer needs.

So, I started to build my computer I connected the motherboard, graphics card (Radeon 9600 XT), 512 RAM, PCU (AMD Barton 2800), and heatsink. I connected the appropriate power connectors.

When it became time to powerup for the first time I got nothing...No completely.
    The red power LED1 on the motherboard lights up and remains glowing. So poiwer reaches the board however, when I push the power on button on the fron of the computer the green Led2 on the mobo lights and the blue front panel light lights up for about 1 second and then goes dead. I get nothing else. The fans do not even turn. The fan on the back of the case seems to be independent of the mobo. It is connected via a special power connector labeled "Fan only" it does not turn either.

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more info. I appriciate any help. Thanks

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Sounds like your psu (power supply unit) is dead, can you try another one, say borrow one off a friend? Also, you may not have a suitable psu for your graphics card and processor, what wattage is your current one?

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Check with the Mobo manufaturers manual and see if Mobo requires the extra 12 volt connection as well as your ATX multi power connector. The extra 12 volt is a block of 4 leads and you can easily spot connection on Mobo it has a snap clip to hold it there like the larger one..

4. Momadu

Momadu Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. My current power supply is an antec true 380watts. I have another new one that I purchased thinking I was going to use an old case. I can run a few tests with the other power supply. I would rather have a faulty PSU than any other component.

thanks again!

5. Momadu

Momadu Private E-2

Hello again! I replaced the PSU with a new one and I get the same results. I noticed below in another thread someone else has a simliar problem. I think the thread was called motherboard problem. One recommendation was that it could be a CPU problem.. How would I test this?

thanks!

6. Doby

Doby Sergeant

The only way to test the cpu in this case would to be swap it with a known working one.

I would first remove the mobo from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard, this will eliminate the possibility of a case short, then install only cpu with hsf, video card, 1 stick ram, psu and monitor. Make sure all jumpers are in the right place

See if it will post if not reply back.

Rick

7. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

You sure you checked this? It's called the P4 connector, most new boards have them.

Also as Doby suggests, check hardware settings (refer to your mobo manual, take your time, read and understand what it says, ask here to clarify if there's any questions).

It doesn't give you any beeps, does it? If it does at some point, write down how many beeps and what intervals. It's an error code you can use to learn the problem.

What motherboard is it?

8. Momadu

Momadu Private E-2

Hello,

The Motherboard is an ABIT K7 Motherboard NF7-S NVIDIA nForce Chipset. I have to work today. So when I get back this afternoon I will try to follow Doby's suggestions.

The p4 connector is connected and seems fine. The PN connectors also seem fine. I followed the directions closely to make sure that each is facing forward and connected to the correct pins.

So far there have been no beeps at all. All I get is the RED LED1 light on the mobo and when the power button is pushed I get a brief green LED light up for about one second.

thanks, I will post back this afternoon.

9. kcl

kcl Private E-2

Not familar with your board but I would say CPU / Memory problem.

Good Luck.

10. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Here's the site of your mobo, might come in handy: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=6

Also try this, even though you didn't overclock it might work: http://www.abit-usa.com/faq/mb/2002073001.php

And here's some more info: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2001/2001030501.htm

Somewhere in there is your solution. It's probably as kcl says, a cpu speed or memory issue. Usually if something's wrong you get some beep codes (3 short for memory, 1 long for cpu etc) but it usually helps in just disconnecting the power and removing the battery for a minute. You might wanna try that but I don't think It'll have any effect at this point.

Also read the manual again, never underestimate it's info. Especially read up on what memory types it supports (very important!) contra what memory sticks you have in there now. Also read up on hardware settings, jumpers, switches, anything that can be set by you. In all mobo's there are several things to set up before the system boots regardless of how automated it seems. You should remove all hardware except for these:
    - CPU + heatsink
    - 1 Memory module
    - Graphics card (since you seem to have an onboard one (correct?) you should use that and remove any AGP or PCI cards)
    - 1 Harddrive

Start with that, only the basic stuff. Read up on / correct settings on mobo. You should get it working sooner or later and if not then your hardware is probably faulty but that'd be the last thing I'd think right now.

Good luck.

11. Momadu

Momadu Private E-2

Hello,

Thanks for all the help. I broke down the set up took the mobo out and set it up with just the cpu, cpu fan, and memory set up. I also took the graphics card out. I had a volcano 9 heatsink installed. I uninstalled this and replaced it with the AMD factory fan that came with the cpu. Started it up and bingo..the fans spun the geen led on the mobo lit up. Good sign..I need to do a little testing to see where the problem was...I am actually starting to think that it was the volcano 9 heatsink..I may not have used enough thermal paste. Anyway. thanks for the help. I am going to take it from here.

Thanks again!

Momadu

12. Doby

Doby Sergeant

It could be a bad fan on the volcano, if bios sences its not there or bad it won't let the system startup, also make sure the fan was connected to the right header on the mobo and connection tight.

The volcano should work with your system and is a very good hsf.

Rick

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds