I'm so sick of this happening

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koppinjo, Jan 25, 2005.

1. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

Okay, I have posted a few times about my computer shutting off without warning, like a power short. It ruined 2 400W generic PSU's, so I got a good one with short circuit protection, etc. and it happened a few more times but didn't kill the PSU thank god.

I noticed that the computer was shutting off while I was running 'Limewire' so I removed it from my computer and all was fine and dandy. Then when I was installing some windows updates (sp2 in particular) it shut off, two times in a row only while sp2 was being installed.

Again today while I was out grocery shopping I came back and it was off, and I wasn't running any programs.

I am very fed up with this happening, and am not sure what to do. I am thinking of taking it in to a local computer shop to have them check my MOBO and maybe my CPU.

Any advice? If it's a mobo problem I'll get an Abit or ASUS for sure.

2. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

I checked the ASRock website and there is a BIOS update... Is it possible that this could help my problem? Thanks

-Joe

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Sounds like overheating or instability maybe you powersupply is weak......

4. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

No, I don't think it's the power supply, the two I had before were 400W, and the on I have now is a 500W, and according to the PSU calculators, to most I should need is ~333W to run all my drives, cards, etc.

Is there a way I can check if it's over heating?

5. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Download mother board monitor and see if it supports your board, if it does it will display your temps, list them here along with your system specs.

Rick

6. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

Okay, it DOES support my motherboard, so here are the temp's in Farenheit in the format HIGH/LOW/AVERAGE

Case: 91/91/91
    CPU: 116/113/114
    Sensor 3: 32/32/32

My system specs are
    P4 2.8 ghz, 800mb fsb w/HT
    ASRock P4S61
    512mb PC 3200 ddr (1 stick)
    160gb seagate HDD
    40gb maxtor HDD
    52x32x52 CDRW drive
    16x DVD +/- R drive
    floppy drive
    Radeon 9800 pro agp 8x
    Mad Dog 500W PSU w/surge & short circuit protection

Thanks Rick

7. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

Correction, the highs for the case and CPU are higher than listed below now

CPU High: 120 deg. F
    Case High: 93 deg. F

8. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

could it be the power in your house? like power spikes ... My house has bad wiring and both my computers would shut off randomly so I bought a Belkin Isolater and the problem went away **knock on wood** ... though that wouldn't explain shutting off during an SP2 install just an idea

also try memtest ... could be your memory

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

see if you can sport for a UPS.. something small..like a 5 minute UPS. You can always bring it back when you're done. The UPS will trigger is the power to it is too low. If this happens you can isolate it to bad power lines. You could use a volt meter too and make sure it doesn't go below 116 (I think).

10. Doby

Doby Sergeant

I am not familar with the P4's temp range so someone else will have to jump in and help.

The cpu seems high especially if that was a idle temp or if you were just on the internet you should look into this it could be your problem.

Also pay attention to what ~Pyrate~ said about power spikes since you lost 2 psu's

Rick

11. Doby

Doby Sergeant

If you are in the USA and use a volt meter to check the power could range from 110v to 120v or so. The reason I say or so is because if you are a long way from the breaker box the voltage coould drop to 109v but not much less.
    Anything in this range is acceptable
    Rick

12. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

In response to what ~Pyrate~ said, the first time it happened I was up in my house at school (which is where I am currently), for a few days over winter break. Then, about 5 days later when I was back home, it happened there, so at two different houses :(.

I'll check around and see if I can find out anything regarding safe operating temps for P4's. I'll also try memtest

Thanks,

-Joe

Oh, one more thing. I just realized that my floppy drive wasn't hooked up to the PSU, but it was connected to the mobo. I am not sure how long it had been that way, but last time I needed to use my floppy drive it was fine. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there in case.

13. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

P4s have thermal protection built in so it is nearly impossible to fry them ... mine idles at 100f and load is 130f ...

THIS Is a good read .. little too technical for me, but informative none-the-less

14. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

what about your network drivers? are they up to date? since limewire and installing sp2 both use the internet? what ethernet card do you use? or modem?

15. Sandwarrior

Sandwarrior Private E-2

What is a MOBO and PSU? Motherboard and Power supply?

16. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

The mobo is an ASRock P4S61, and the PSU is a Mad Dog Surepower 500w BTX/ATX smart cable PSU (mobo is ATX ff).

As far as I know my network drivers are fine, but I'll try updating them just to be sure. Thanks again

-Joe

17. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

Oh yeah, I dl'ed memtest and it went to over 1000% with zero errors, so it looks like my memory is alright for the time being...

18. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Thanks! couldn't remember what the acceptable range was. I know that if your UPS is sensitive enough it will trip within a few volts.

19. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you're really suppose to run it over night

here's your drivers:
    http://www.asrock.com.tw/support/Download/dl_p4s61.htm

might try installing the LAN drivers and any others you may have missed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds