My burner won't burn!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stellar042, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Stellar042

Stellar042 Private E-2

Hey ya'll.

I'm running a P4 3.2 GHz, LGA 775 Chip on a P4P800 Asus MoBo with 512 ram. I have a LiteOn LTN486S 48x Max CD Burner, yet it won't burn anything to CD! I tried downloading the driver from CDROM-drivers.com and it won't run on XP claiming:

"The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

I can't find the driver anywhere else, and the device didn't come with any CDs or anything. I really don't know what to do...any ideas?

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

3. Stellar042

Stellar042 Private E-2

I suppose there's a possibility you could be right, but I'm nearly 100% positive that it's a burner. When I bought it, it was advertised as a 48x burner, and my computer recognizes it as a burner and a DVD player when I right click on its properties...it's just when I try and burn to CD it doesn't work.

Plus, I burnt all of my music to my hard drive, so it does have a capability to burn. Maybe installing this driver will fix it...?

Thanks.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

MellowMan is correct that drive is only a 48 x CDrom drive and not a burner, you do not need cdrom drivers as the OS supplys them ( liteon's website when looking for drivers... directs you to the default microsoft driver supplied by the OS )

LiteOn LTN486S
    http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_ltn48.asp

No you only copied your music from CD to your hard drive, which is not burning but copying.

Burning is when you go from CD to CD or HD to CD etc.... not CD to HD

you will need to get in touch with who ever supplied you with this drive for an explanation.

SORRY for bad news :(

5. Stellar042

Stellar042 Private E-2

:rolleyes:

Well thanks for your help all! Looks like a burner is in my buying future!

6. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

good luck in your search, usually when you get a burner your going to see three numbers like 52/24/52 the lower number is the rewrite speed, and the two 52s are read and write speed.
    get the highest numbers you can, liteon is a excellent brand-if you want to stick with that brand, that would be good.

again good luck. :)

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

TBH if your going to get a burner, I would be more tempted to get a DVD burner over a plain CD burner as the DVD burner will also do CDRs as well as DVDs, thus giving you more storage capacity on DVD.

eg.
    CDR 700mb
    DVDR 4.7gb

I use LiteON drives good value.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds