cpu instalation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xpocad, Jan 25, 2005.

1. xpocad

xpocad Private E-2

hey i got a new amd 2700 and wanted to install it. do u need thermal paste to install it? and also do i need one of those rist things for static? i have all tile in my house n no socks on do i reall need it?

2. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Yes you absolutely need thermal paste of some sort to install the hsf on top of the cpu before powerup. Some hsf come with a thermal pad preinstalled on the hsf and this takes the place of paste and is adequate under normal use.
    This is usually the case when you buy a retail cpu and it comes with a hsf. go here for instructions

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_9342,00.html

As far as the wrist strap no as long as you remember to touch a metel object such as the case before touching any component inside or outside the case. It does help when working on a pc to work on a tile floor and not carpet but just the movement of your colthes can cause ESD (electo static discharge).

Rick

3. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

I always use slightly smaller than a grain of rice. I have never used wrist straps when I have installed cpus (or anything for that matter, just touch the p/s before handling sensitive components-but don't quote me on this, because you should always use a wrist strap, and I can't be responsible for damaged components, but in the unlikely event something goes wrong you can always return the cpu and tell them it doesn't post, and get a new one.)
    Make sure you don't use your fingers or a fabric that can leave lint to spread your heatsink compound, the oil on your skin can interfear with heat transfer, the same with lint, I always use something plastic.

good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds