HD problems after format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JJJIrish05, Jan 26, 2005.

1. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: i finally reformatted tonight because my comp wasn't booting before, i had just made copies of all the things i wanted to keep when my sound screwed up onto my other HD. Thinking it would be all good, i get it installed, updated etc, now some of the stuff on my other HD seems to be gone too, and all the programs i had on there wont let me access them it says:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not ahve the appropriate permissions to access the item.

also all my pictures on that HD dont seem to be working, open them in paint and nothing happens, and if i go to thumbnails view, there is no picture just an icon, WTF!!!! im so pissed, does anyone know whats wrong????

anything i can do? is there any hope of getting any of this stuff back? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I'm a little confused here but it seems like you just need to assign permissions to yourself to access the files on the second HD.

Since you reformatted it would no longer recognize you as the owner of the files. So just pop open the security tab, take ownership of all the files and then make sure you have full read/write permissions and it should all work.

It is a little odd though, cause it should have asked you about taking ownership automaticly. Unless of course you said no.

3. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

really, how do i go about doing that???

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

5. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

yes, that worked, the files that are still there i can access now, i guess i got some work ahead of me then :( just really mad about the stuff i lost, thanx for the help!!!!!

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you might try selecting all the files in a folder at one time ... save you a little time ... I had to do that once ... what a pain

7. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ya, i just did the whole drive, its all good now, got most everything reinstalled, missing the stuff i can't reinstall but its all good, i learned my lesson, thanx again for the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds