Use the modem as a phone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alin, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Alin

Alin Private E-2

hello
    I don't know if this is the right room for this thread ...

Anyway i was wondering is there's some way to use my 56k Dial-up modem as a phone .. not only to record calls made/recived but also beeing able to answear/dial and talk using the microphone and hear using hedphones

Because i bet most of you don't have a phone if your PC room and you have to get up to answear .. and when you pick it up , the person who dialed you hands up

And i have a dial-up modem but i don't use it because the net connection is done via the network

I have downloaded ModemSpy but i don't know how to use it ... and i don't think it could be used for something like that ... or if it dose i have no ideea how to do it :(

Can you help me ?
    -Thank you-

2. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

is it a voice modem?

3. Alin

Alin Private E-2

Ambient CLM Data Fax Voice

Atleast that's what it sayes in system propieties under modem

4. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

5. Alin

Alin Private E-2

the OS is Win ME

And yes i'm preaty soure that it's a voice modem

There's 1 thing though :
    i see that there are 2 slots for the telephone line ( line and phone ) and 2 normal jacks ..one for "spkr" i guess that's short for speaker and mic for microphone

so the question is :
    Can i use it to dial/recive calls .. if i jack a hedphone a mic in it ?
    How ? is there a program for that ?

Is there a prblem is i use 2 sets of headphones/mic's for bouth modem and soundcard ?

6. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

I know back in the day I used to have a modem that would pick up and take messages, can't remember what the software was called tho.

7. Alin

Alin Private E-2

So no one knows if this is posible ? or how to do it ?

8. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Oh it's quite possible. I used to do it back in the early 90's. I can't remember which programs I used to do it with though. Although my main was back then was to use a phone as a MIC for the computer. Cause I'd phone in and then press record on the comp. MIC's were expensive back then. :)

Picking up the phone is easy enough, as you can just drop into hyper terminal and press the connect button to pickup the phone. Normally when you do that you'd type in some commands but if you don't it would just hold the line open. You could then hear the person speaking simply by pluggin headphones into the modem itself. Although you could put that through on your main speakers if you connected the modems speaker port to the line in port on your sound card.

The only thing i can't think of how to do really is get the MIC to send the audio throug hthe modem. You may need an actual program designed for that.

At any rate it is possible but it's been so long since I've done it that I can't recall the programs used, even if I did, chances are they were 16 bit applications anyways.

9. Alin

Alin Private E-2

That's great
    Anyone knows the name of such a program ?

10. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

The fax/voice modem I used to have provided software called QuickLink III to manage the voice features as well as the fax and data features. I paid little attention to the voice features, but I'm pretty sure that it would have done the job -- given a microphone and a speaker to plug into the card.

The software publisher was Smith Micro. I think they're not using the QuickLink product name any longer, but there is a reference to QuickLink on this page.

There are probably other products out there that will do the job too. But without software of some kind to manage the voice features, you're probably hooped.

11. ludvig14

ludvig14 Private E-2

you can do that 2 ways, one is to plug your phoneline into the lineslot and your phone into your phoneslot, another is you can buy a pc phone(software)
    such as ringcentral or something :rolleyes: and use a headset. :cool:

12. Alin

Alin Private E-2

Thx guys .. i am downloading HotFax MessageCenter 6.0 now .. and i 'll let you know how it works

I already plugged my hedphones /microphone into the modem and made a call using phone dialer provided by microsoft ..
    But i was able to hear the other person with ease but no matter what i tryed , the mic was not working .. :(

As far as i know .. ther must be a internal connection betwin the modem and the sound card ..
    OR ?! can it be done by some software means ? coz the modem is connected to the soundcard via the motherbord

So far i got all the gaps figured out .. but i still need to make the mike work

13. Alin

Alin Private E-2

It works like a charm :)

The downdside is that it will expire in 14 days .. and it's only a trial ..
    No one knows where i can download a program that won't expire ?

anyway thanks alot :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds