ICS ,DSl problem,winxp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RB6381, Jan 26, 2005.

1. RB6381

RB6381 Private E-2

I have my DSL modem main ethernet coming in to my host computer and have a good connection to www. I have another ethernet card installed which goes to my router and off to two more computers . when i am on the www I can't have my network between computer working ,my network bridge takes something away from the high speed internet connection and so I have to remove the second card from the bridge in which it auto's it to the high speed and then my ICS won't work , I guess my question is how to hook this up, evidently I don't have it right.I have an ethernet modem with a direct line to my main computer , and then cat5 wiring out to my router and througout. I have had the ics going for 2 yrs on dialup and no problem between computer
    Rick

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You're current setup is very odd. Although it should be possibel to make it work, it's a lot of extra work for nothing.

You have a router. So the proper way to set it up is to plug the router directly into the DSL modem and then the computers all plug into the router. You have no need at all for ICS since you have router.

Once you've physically set it up like that, you can get the net working on each computer by configuring it exactly the same way you configured the computer that was plugged directly into the modem. In most cases, if the router is configured with default settings, windows should do it all automaticly.

3. RB6381

RB6381 Private E-2

I originally went this method but my other computers were having an IP conflict . I was not familiar on what to do at that point

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

The way it should work once it's setup is the router itself has the internet address. The computers on the network are then assigned addresses from the router.

So each computer should have an address like 192.168.0.2, or 192.168.0.3 or something like that. Usually the router has the actual internet address as well as the internal address which by default will be 192.168.0.1. Going to the address 192.168.0.1 in a browser should bring u pthe router configuration menu.

So you shouldn't have any IP conflict since you can assign any address you like from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 to the computers. Although the router should do it manually.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds