New CPU shows wrong Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam_fozz, Jan 27, 2005.

1. adam_fozz

adam_fozz Private E-2

Hi there, before you curse me and say that i am a fool, please understand that i have looked on the internet and seen that many people ask this question all the time but i simply couldnt find anything that realted to my setup. Can you help me!

This is my setup:-

MSI- ms6367 motherboard
    Radion 9200se
    120 gig seagate hdd
    20gig hdd
    cd writer.
    GlobalWin Watercooling

The Question!

The processor that i have in the system as we speak is an Athlon XP 2400+ which i bought to replace a Duron 1.3 (Socket A) I have put the new processor in but the system now shows 1.47ghz when it should be 2ghz.

Many sites talk of altering the Bios Clock settings however this motherboard locks out clock speed etc.

Just in case this is connected when i started the computer for the first time with the new processor Motherboard monitor showed the processor temp as 90 degrees C. I have a Coolermaster musketeer and its probe is showing 35 - 40.

Hope someone can help!

Adam

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Yep!, Your CPU should run at 2000mhz.
    I think you need to make jumper change on your MOBO
    Do you have manual for your mobo?
    Your CPU clock is probably running at 100mhz it need to be at 133mhz to change this you need to change jumper setting

Can get manual here:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=290&kind=1
    Download and see chapter 2 (2-4) PDF file,page 10
    ( CPU FSB Selection Jumper:SW2) junper need's to be on pin's 1 & 2

After you change that,check bios you multiplier should be at 15 x 133, ( some options may not be blocked anymore)

Let me Know how it go's?

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

The Motherboard monitor? is that program that came with the mobo?
    I think the cpu would Die at that temp?
    Then the Cool master probe?
    First question is the probe in the correct position to give correct reading and then is it accurate?

Download Everest or some other program to check temps, dont want to toast ya CPU!
    Everest:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

4. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

90c :eek: I hope that's wrong, that has to be wrong...

5. adam_fozz

adam_fozz Private E-2

Hi there, that is a good bit of info. I will try it tonight. I had looked on the MSI site for hours but couldnt find my mobo info! You are the KING! (What did you think about the temp situation. The comp has been on all night showing 90 on MBM and 45 on the coolermaster probe, Surely it would have burned out if the motherboard temp was true right?)

Thanks,
    Adam_Fozz

6. adam_fozz

adam_fozz Private E-2

The motherboard is not the one that came with the board because it is quite old. It is Actually called motherboard monitor. As i say it seemed to read right with the old cpu (it was always roughly the same as the collermater musketeer). The computer has been on all night reading at 90, i think it would be dead by now!

Any other thoughts let me know.

PS i will download the monitor your recommended too.

Cheers
    Adam_Fozz

7. adam_fozz

adam_fozz Private E-2

Hi there, just to ckeck. Ny moving the jumper and setting it to 133 will this effect my ram and make it hotter, or am i getting confused!.. Adam

8. adam_fozz

adam_fozz Private E-2

FAO ASUS

The Cpu is running at the right speed now. I have tried another motherboard monitor and it too is showing 90 degrees. It is EVEREST, actually, i just checked and it shws 98 degrees. That surely would have burned by now. It has been on all day. Musketeer is now showing 45 after being on for the day non stop. This seems a little hot considering i have water cooling. Let me know your comments on this.

Thanks
    Adam_Fozz

PS. That was some good info, cheers again!

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

The Jumper setting I posted is for the CPU clock only.

And for temps, you have Water cooled PC? are you temps 90c or is that 90F, it must be 90F or cpu would be Toast!
    90F is good, If water cooled, I think could be better.
    What kinda of Liquid in the system?
    Does your case also have fan's?
    Does you pc run fine other than temp readings?

10. adam_fozz

adam_fozz Private E-2

It is just the globalwin silent stream water cooler. It definatly says 90 degrees C on the motherboard monitor. I have got a pci system blower, 3 80mm case fans and an 80mm window fan. Im going to trust the musketeer temp because im guessing that 2 days at 90 degrees c would have killed it by now, however that still seems high for a syatem with so much cooling, the reading is 45 degrees C. Im going to check the heatsink mount on the cpu to make sure the contact is good.

Let me know if you think of anything else, you have been a great help.

Adam_fozz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds