Vnc And Security Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computergeekchick, Jan 28, 2005.

1. computergeekchick

computergeekchick Private E-2

I have been attempting to get a VNC server (Tight VNC and Ultr@VNC) up and running between 2 LAN networks and a thought keeps nagging me - how secure are these? Both LANs are behind routers but I still sense a big security issue there.

If it is an issue, is the NetOp program by Crosstec any better?

Appreciate any input.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. computergeekchick

computergeekchick Private E-2

I appreciate your reply and your previous email recommending that I look at that version of VNC. I think I have figured out my inability to connect is due to the fact that I do not have a static IP address and to port forward my router I need a static IP address. My cable company does not offer that to it's residential customers (I work out of my home office). I am sure that there are other means but after working at this for a week, admittedly I am a bit frustrated. Thanks.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Ok so your try to remote across the internet? What you need to do is be able to find the other PC via the interent.
    You need a DNS service like www.no-ip.com their client will run in the target PC'c tray and update a DNS when the IP changes, so you can always find it via a name like www.mypc.no-ip.info , or whatever you pick. As far as VNCs security, with a strong password it is ok, but supposedly the password can be hacked locally so if someone on the vnc server pc wants to get the password there are programs that do that.. so if the physical location is 'secure' your ok. I have used VNC and didn't open ports on my router - but then again I never closed them either.. but local firewalls (zone alarm) of coarse will need to be changed to allow traffic.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds