Help tracking down hardware problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goines, Jan 28, 2005.

1. goines

goines Private E-2

For the last couple of months I've had an ongoing issue that I can't even figure out the source of. When trying to write/move large files on my HD I get a pop up message from Windows saying 'Error - Delayed Write Failed - Windows was unable to save your data and all data was lost....etc.' Opening up the system log in the event viewer shows, originally, hundreds of warnings (event id 51) and now hundreds of errors (event id 11). Microsoft says that both of these are hardware related issues and recommends, 1. to replace the IDE cables (done), and 2. to check the HD for physical errors (done with both Windows and WD software). Neither of those fixed/found the problem (obviously). To date I've also disabled write caching in Windows, defragmented all partitions, downloaded all Windows updates, and checked the RAM (memtest86, switched around the sticks) as well.

The system gets virus scans three times a week with Norton and checked for spyware with AdAware and Spybot every week or two. The only known problem that I have with hardware is that the fan on my video card is on its last legs. My system is only about a year and a half old and looks like this:
    -ASUS A7N8X-DX
    -AMD Athlon XP 2500+Barton
    -2x256MB DDR 400MHz PC3200
    -WD 80GB Caviar (3 partitions: 6GB - OS only, 35 GB, 35 GB)
    -ASUS V9520 GFX-5200
    -LG CD-ROM
    -NEC ND-3520A DVD+-RW
    -350W Power Supply
    -80mm case fan

The CPU has been overclocked slightly to 2.00GHz (shows up as a 2700+ now) but the problems started before I did that. The RAM timings, which I haven't touched, are set to 7-3-3-3. If any other BIOS information would help I can post that too.

Any help to pin down what is causing this would be much appreciated since I'm pretty much out of ideas.

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

A different way to look at this problem would be in the following way.

You say that copying/moving large files creates this problem. I am guessing that you are copying from one of the opticals (perhaps) the DVD-R to HDD (or visaversa).

Those components will effective both be using the southbridge on your mobo. Perhaps it is at that level that you should be looking to address the problem. I see that this an nvidia based board. Not up on those chipsets but have you checked to see what chipset driver version you have.

Did the board start giving you issue after a particular upgrade or did it just one day start to do this. Also (a stab in the dark here) if you added the DVR-R and then your problem started, I would in addition ask how are your opticals jumpered.

3. goines

goines Private E-2

Writing data to a CD/DVD has never been a problem, but ripping a DVD or downloading files will trigger the error message within a minute or so (the DVD was only installed recently but there was a CDRW in there before, the DVD is master and the CDROM is slave). I don't know what chipset driver version I have, where/how would I check that? As far as I can remember, the problem just sort of started happening one day, not after any particular upgrade or tinkering.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Go get a copy of ''Everst Home Edition'' its a freebee and when run it will give info on your chipset..http://www.lavalys.com/

5. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

On my Via based system, I can see the chipset driver version in my registry

HLM>Software>Via

Also have you tried with just one optical drive connected (ie disconnect the other one) to see if the problem occurs in that scenario. Just a process of elimination.

6. goines

goines Private E-2

Ok, after installing Everest (a pretty cool program I might add) and downloading/installing the new nvidia drivers Everest says that on the South Bridge (nvidia MCP2-T) Revision A4, Package Type 484 Pin BGA and on the North Bridge (nvidia nForce2 Ultra 400) Revision C1, Package Type 840 Pin BGA, In-Order Queue Depth 8.

I haven't tried disconnecting either of the optical drives because one of the drives is brand new and the problem often happens when they aren't involved at all so I figured that eliminated them as the source.

7. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Can't comment on the nvdia chipset/drivers as I said use via.

I must admit I tend to agree with the idea that if it happens also when you download not likely to be the opticals.

One question though how do you connect to the net. No mention of that in your dets. I guess since you say that they are large downloads you are on adsl but how do you connect ie by way of NIC though a router or usb modem.

8. goines

goines Private E-2

I run Kerio Personal Firewall on my system and go through a router (wired connection, not wireless) to a DSL connection.

9. goines

goines Private E-2

Does anyone who knows about nvidia chipsets/drivers have any ideas? I'm really getting out of my depth when it comes to things like this. Installing the new drivers yesterday didn't seem to fix anything.

10. goines

goines Private E-2

For the record, the problem appears to have been coming from a failing buffer on the hard drive. Replaced the HD, no more problems.

11. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds