Venus 12/AMD 64/Arctic 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sebass, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Sebass

Sebass Private E-2

So this is my first real attempt at jumping back into my geek days from childhood...I am officially upgrading my computer and fiddling with the settings and have one major question regarding installation of CPU...

Do I install the CPU and then apply AS5 and then apply heatsink? I assume so...I have read plenty of directions and warnings but nobody ever says to do it off the MB or not...I'm not real scared of putting too much on cause it is apparent that the actual warm part of the CPU is inherently small and therefore the entire thing does not have to be covered but I keep hearing how some of these particles can float off into space and damage the MB...

I am extremely interested in overclocking this and know that the Venus 12 is the only option for cooling and needs to be coincided with AS5...

Any help is appreciated...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    ASUS A8V-E Deluxe K8T890

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

there isnt a 'correct' order on applying thermal compound (AS5), however, I usually do it before placing it in the motherboard so that I can smoothe on the right amount without worrying about spilling or making a mess.

however I can see that putting it ito the motherboard first can prevent accidents that may bend pins.

let us know how you do with your overclock, and dont forget to read into it a LOT before doing so, as Amd 64's introduce new variables such as HT settings. It's not much more difficult, but its a change.

and welcome to majorgeeks!

3. Sebass

Sebass Private E-2

Thank you for the reply...I wanted to add one question if anyone reads this:

Has anyone ever done a lap-job on their heatsink before installing it...

Basically this allows you to sand down the machined edges and make it mirror-like so that a lot of stock microscopic valleys disappear and result in an even better heat transfer...

Here is the link to the website that reviewed the Venus 12 and proceeded to do this...has anyone else had the success that is apparent here?

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=663&pageID=852

Any help would be appreciate...if I have to be the first to try it and relay results I will...just was wondering if anyone had anymore advice on this....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds