new problem with the 40gig hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N5638J, Jan 28, 2005.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

i got that thing to work last nite but today i see that the computer is now reading it as a 5.77gig when its a 40gig it shows up as a 40gig in bios but in windows it shows as a 5.77gb what would be causing this i am running a HP Pavilion 4535 ASUS Hawk mobo celeron 500mhz 128mb ram win98se and the hdd is a WD thanks for any help

2. mojodojo2k

mojodojo2k Private E-2

Sounds like an "fdisk" problem...one that can easily be fixed.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263044 ---> check out this site for info on the fdisk problem and on downloading a program that can easily fix the problem. Disregard the "hard disks being larger than 64gb"...i think that's bunk, cause i've seen this problem with hard drives as small as 30gb.

-Hope it helps! :)

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Did you use the WD utility?

4. Leo65

Leo65 Private E-2

Western digital includes a bios and drive partition program either version 10.0 or version 2.0 If installed correct it will formatt and set bios and 98 to read as 40gb check the web site if disk is not included they have the download. good luck

5. N5638J

N5638J Guest

ASUS i tried the WD utility did not work lol i am still working on it i will post after i get done reading the rest of the stuff posted

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Actually the latest is "Data Lifeguard tools version 11.1" It come's on booable CD with retail WD HDD's. (OEM HDDm, must download at web, cant say Ive used the download version I believe for HDD setup you must download to floppy & boot from that? information How to, should be on the web too)
    Stick in the drive and boot to CD, or floppy depending, too format click on HDD set up, it will recognize any WD drive connected to your system, you'll have option to setup easy or advanced, advanced if you want multiple partitions & custom file sys. Easy, set's up one partiton default file system.

It also has other features, diagnostics and more.

7. N5638J

N5638J Guest

ok i installed the new fdisk do i have to fdisk again and format? "i would hate to do that because i am on dial up and thats a pain when downloading updates and other stuff it needs

8. N5638J

N5638J Guest

ok i went into fdisk to see what it had to say about the hdd and it shows it as 40gig but still in windows it shows up as 7.85gig should i fdisk and format again? only one bad thing about that is i am on dialup and it would take long time to do up dates again

9. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Have you tried viewing what partitions are on the drive? If you use a 98 boot floppy you can run the fdisk utility and see what partitions are set. Make sure and check for logical drives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds