ROM Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IcedEarth, Jan 29, 2005.

1. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Private E-2

in my previous thread, i have problems getting my 2 rom drives to work after switching out my memory. I have since switched back and am getting nowhere fast. the jumpers are fine, IDE ribbons are brand new and i am at a loss.

please help

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I've read all your posts, but I fail to see how adding memory could cause your ROM drives to quit working, if Windows still boots and works. Have you tried going into Device Manager and checking for errors? Any problem devices will have a yellow exclamation mark beside them. If both drives are connected to the same IDE channel, then going into Device Manager and deleting the IDE channel that they are connected to and rebooting, would let Windows detect the IDE channel, reinstall the drivers, and hopefully detect your ROM devices. :)

3. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Private E-2

Hey, Just tried that and i have come to realize that the cd/dvd-rom category is gone from my device manager. This is really frustrating. Where do i go from here?

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

This is why I asked you to look in Device Manager. Since the CD/DVD catagorey isn't there, it means that Windows isn't detecting the devices. Are both of your ROM devices on the same IDE channel? :)

5. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Private E-2

Normally yes. At the moment, i only have one connected after repeatedly attempting to get windows to get them recognozed again. They have been connected to the same IDE channel for months and only stopped appearing after the Memory swap. If u r going to suggest going cd-rom to hdd....i cant due to the configuration of my tower.

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

IcedEarth, in your previous thread you said that the bios was not detecting the opticals either. I know you said that you tried a new cable but are sure that you have correctly connected it.

Also as a thought perhaps that ide controller on the mobo is dead. I would suggest that you remove the optical from the ide controller to which they are connected (presumably ide2) and plug your HDD into ide2 to see if the bios detect and windows boots.

7. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Private E-2

Both IDE ports work. both IDE ribbons do too. I dont see 2 cd-rom drives going at the same time after a memory swap.

8. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Just a thought as this fixed a similar prob for me in the past ... reverse your Master/Slave jumpers and couple up accordingly .. good luck :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds