Dvd Burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlthemailman, Jan 30, 2005.

1. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

ok o really hope some one can help me. for christmas i got a new dvd burner. a sony DRU-710A. it burns at 16x. however, i recently got into the art of "backing up" movies. i use a downloaded version or DVD X Copy Platinum. It works, and the movie quality is good, but it take TWO HOURS!!! Then, just to make sure it wasnt teh software, i downloaded a couple episodes of family guy. i used NERO to burn it to a dvd-r. it took about and hour fifteen minutes. what the hell is wrong???? my freind uses DVD COPY X PLat. (the store-bought version) and his dvd is 8x, he's pushing a 1.5 gh pentium. i have 3.2, and 16x burner, but it takes him from 15 to 30 minutes to burn an entire disc. some one plaaese help me!!!!

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It is against forum policy to help with software of questionable origins, so I won't touch that issue. Speed of burning seems to be a safe issue. Although your friend may have a slower computer, it may be set up differently, and he may have more RAM. Does your DVD burner have DMA enabled? Is it on its own IDE channel? Or if it shares an IDE channel, is it set to master? Do you do a regular defrag of your computer before attempting to burn a DVD. What is the speed of the media that you are trying to record to? All of these can have a bearing on the recording speed, as well as any additional processes running in the background. Welcome to MajorGeeks! :)

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Try DVD Shrink http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4020.html to back-up one of your movies and see if it takes the same amount of time. It could be an issue of memory or media speed, but your friend has a legitimate X Copy and yours is 'questionable', perhaps that is the problem.

4. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

uhmm i dont know what ide and that stuff is, when i installed it, i put it as the "slave" thing. but the ram issue is not it.... i have 1024 3200, he has 512 2400. background proccess shouldnt make much of a diff, but all i got runnin is avast and aim and and maybe a p2p thing sometimes. i dont defrag my cpu- ever. just never got into the habbit of doing it. i dont know how to check for DMA> all i know is that this s really screwed up

5. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

i tried dvd shrink... and my dvd play still is slow. there is something seriously wrong with it. im curious if there should have been drivers, because there were none....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds