network problem HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hawaii0712, Jan 30, 2005.

1. hawaii0712

hawaii0712 Private E-2

i need to hook up an xp computer to a windows nt server. I cannot seem to get this to work. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! :eek:

2. Dude1010101

Dude1010101 Corporal

boy do we need more information. what kind of network? are you on a domain? who is in control of this server?

3. hawaii0712

hawaii0712 Private E-2

ok it is a domain server using windows nt. it is at work (which my husband owns) and we have about 12 computers using 98 hooked up to it. Mine crashed and i now have one using xp home. i was pretty good at setting up the old network, but am lost with this! A quick easy reply would be appreciated as i need to be up and running tommorrow!!!!! Thanks

4. Dude1010101

Dude1010101 Corporal

ok...do you need help setting the IP DNS and Gateway or what? go to control pannelnel>network and internet connections>network connections>right click on Local Area Connections> then go to TCP/IP then hit properties. You should be able to get it from there if thats your problem :)

5. hawaii0712

hawaii0712 Private E-2

it keeps giving me a different ip address than the one assigned to it originally. it does not stay when i change it. Also, it wants a workgroup name, would that be the same as a domain name?

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

7. Dude1010101

Dude1010101 Corporal

so are you trying to say u can't join a domain with xp home? :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds