Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by evilevets, Jan 31, 2005.

1. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

I have two PC's set up in peer to peer fashion with the free version of Zone Alarm on each.

Zone Alarm insists on blocking access to either PC from the other.

How can I configure Zone Alarm so that it allows access to other PC's on my network, yet still protects me while online?

Right now I have to shut off Zone Alarm if browsing my network.

Thanks,

Steve

2. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

I've also tried every possible option under Trusted Zones....IP Address, IP Range, Subnet, etc. None of those seem to work.

Steve

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

So in the firewall tab - Trusted Zone when you slide it down to Med. you can't share? And your local network ip is set as a trusted zone under the zones tab also? curious... so what error are you getting when you attempt to browse? unavailable? try bringing up explorer and type the unc in the address bar... \\PCNAME

4. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

When I get home, I'm going to try adding the whole subnet 192.168.0 - 192.168.0.244 in the "trusted zone"

Question - Is that safe to do? Thats an awful lot of addresses, and I only have two PC's. I would like to continue to use DHCP, so I guess I have to.
    But is that safe?

Steve

5. foogoo

go into your router and limit the number of ips available.. but it should be safe.. unless there is somewhere others can cable (ie physical access) into your network and use it.

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If it is your own network at home, and strangers can not physically plug their computer into your Router, you have noting to worry about, put the whole range of IPs in the trusted Zone. Put the DHCP range to the number of computers that you are using, and use it in Good Health.

:cool:

7. foogoo

that sounds like something I'd say... hold on !!!!!

8. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Thanks foogoo and Cat5.

I placed 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.244 into the Trusted Zone, and now everything works.

One more question about Zone Alarm. I noticed it automatically disables Windows' firewall. I've heard that Zone Alarm is better, but would it be a good idea to use both, or are they incompatible with each other?

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds