someone pls help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vianet, Jan 31, 2005.

1. vianet

vianet Private E-2

hi, i have a networking problem. hope someone could help... the scenario is as follows:

i have a broadband. the one end of modem/router is connected to the ISP and the other to a switch via straight cable. had 3 PCs (Win XP Home) and 2 of them connected to switch and all working fine. could surf the internet.

today i laid a new network cable (about 30m) from the switch to my room. used cable tester to test the new line. found ok. connect to the 3rd PC and found could not get an IP. by the way, the modem/router is configured as a DHCP server. however, use another long patch cable and connect it directly to the switch. found the PC can get IP addr from the router. tried using the same patch cable and connect it to newly laid line. PC still cannot get IP addr.

anyone knows why?

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I don't understand your setup exactly.. let's see
    You have a DSL Router connected via a multiport switch and one pc is not getting an IP address?
    What is your ip & subnetmask? On any connected pc that does work

3. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Are you connecting from a switch directly to the broadband router or is one of the items an actual router? If you are connecting from the modem to a switch odds are the ISP has you limited to the number of avialable IP addresses.

4. vianet

vianet Private E-2

i have the switch connected directly to the broadband router. the 2 PCs are connected to the switch and all are working fine. my 3rd PC is connected to the switch directly via a newly laid cable over the ceiling (terminated with a faceplate on the wall - my cable guy does it for me) we tested out the cable and was ok. then i used a patch cable and connect my 3rd PC to the switch through the ceiling cable and could not get an IP from the DHCP server.

5. vianet

vianet Private E-2

no the device comes with a broadband router and a DSL modem.

6. foogoo

hows about my question?
    Your local ip & subnet?

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Simply a BAD cable.

If your tester is a simple tester that shows that the cable is DC connected it does not mean that it is a good cable for 100Mb/sec. AC.

About Wiring: Wiring - I would like to wire my Networked Computers (Home Wiring).

If apply you should know the percent of successfully crimping CAT5e cables by the inexperienced is relatively low.

:cool:

8. foogoo

I ask about his ip & subnet.. because I am still going to guess his ip range is limited...
    My DSL modem/router hands out only 4 of 5 possible ips.. but if you know subnetting, like i know subnetting ;) you can use that last one....

9. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds