CPU temps....worried

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by enigmamdw@yahoo.com, Jan 31, 2005.

1. enigmamdw@yahoo.com

enigmamdw@yahoo.com Private E-2

I have a p4 2.4 533fsb on a asus p4p800-e Dlx mobo

I have two fans blowing from the back and one sucking air out from the side.

My ambiant temp is 34-36C and the Idle for the cPU is from 65-69.5C is this too high?
    Under load it'll go up to 85C.

right now I have the side cover off and am temporarily have a 20" fan blowing directly into the case now ambient is 21C and CPU is only down to 61C and under load still goes up to 69C

I have the stock heat sink (properly instaled)

guess the question is this normal, also is it damaging my machine.
    I'm not currently overclocking.

Thanks

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

what are you using to monitor temps? ... I'd recommend motherboard monitor

3. enigmamdw@yahoo.com

I've used motherboard monitor, CPUcool, and the asus temp utility. all around the same readings.

4. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

Check what the BIOS says, and get a non-stock CPU fan.
    Make sure that you use a thermal compound like Artic Silver,
    as well.

5. enigmamdw@yahoo.com

But shouldn't this be being regulated at the normal temps WITHOUT having to modify anything?

Is there something wrong with the stock setup?

I plan on getting a non-stock cpu block but I'm worried that it won't run quite cool as it should still if the stock one can't keep up with it.

6. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Private E-2

I have a P4 550 (3.4 Prescott) and retail it was 59C and stressed 68C.

I have put arctic silver cooling paste and a zalman chipset cooler...result:

idle is 42C (max) and stressed is 55C (max)

very happy user now. and this should give you plenty of room to overclock:D

cheers

7. enigmamdw@yahoo.com

;) That's funny...I just went out and got those VERY things...before reading this post... hopefully this does the trick...

I'll post results when I install it in a few minutes...

8. enigmamdw@yahoo.com

Re: CPU temps....not worried anymore

Well she's down to 34C idle and MAX 45C load...thanks for the help.

9. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Private E-2

you are very welcome: I saw your result and began to worry about mine temps... :rolleyes:

then I saw your setup I thought oef!!! no prbs here I guess after all.

glad you like it cause it is the best thing we can do for having intel chipsets.

10. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

also blow in the back and suck in the side. you don't want your p/s exhaust being sucked into your case. helped my setup when I did that.

11. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

hm ... i have a zalman 7000AICu .. and IMHO i think the thing sucks and was a total waste of money ... i get 100Fidle 130f load w/ a northwood .. just needa get some money together and put a thermalright in

12. SgtRon

SgtRon Private First Class

Quick question from a newbie: How does cooling the chipset lower the CPU temp? Or am I missing something?

SgtRon

13. enigmamdw@yahoo.com

the CPU .....IS...your chipset....unless I'M missing something...

14. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

15. enigmamdw@yahoo.com

HE HAS BEEN TAUGHT!!

see this is why I'm here....to get all the answers from the REAL GEEKS!! Thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

16. SgtRon

SgtRon Private First Class

ASUS, you da man!! But I'm still wondering about the chipset cooling affecting the CPU temp. Boy, things were so much simpler when all I had were vacuum tubes! I must say, tho, that CPUs are a lot easier to work with now that they don't take up a whole rack or two!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds