Will Raid work on this mb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rb1, Jan 31, 2005.

1. rb1

rb1 Private E-2

thx, I have a Gigabite Ga-8IPE1000 Pro motherboard 2004 GT Edition.
    I would like to install 2 raptor hd's in the raid format. can anyone tell me if this is possable?

P4 3g
    Intel 865PE/ICH5/ATX
    1.5 g ddr400
    GeForce FX 5200 256mb AGP x8
    XP Home SP

thank you in advance for your replys.

rb1

2. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

It doesn't show that the board you have has an on board raid controller. Not sure if that was your question???

Here is the link for the MB specs.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8IPE1000%20Pro%20(2.0).htm

3. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You can always use software based raid in windows if you like. It won't be as good as the real thing though. It's either that or buy a raid card.

4. rb1

rb1 Private E-2

Stygiss Yes ... that was my concerns. if the board has no controller, can I add some sort of pci card or what to make it work or is it worth the effort..Coco mentioned a raid card?always looking for a way to improve my IL2+FB+AEP+PF flight sim's performance and the raid 0 sounds like it could possably even the playing field as far as the sys goes...or no/

thx. rb1

5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You can just go and buy a raid card from a local computer store. Should be in the 50$ range. Maybe a little less. They are fairly common so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding them.

Although just so you know, it's rather unlikely raid will have any impact on games. Most of the work for games is on the video card, and ram. It's highly doubtful the HD is slowing the game down at all.

6. rb1

rb1 Private E-2

Thank you very much Coco.. the info is a lot of help.. might of saved me many $$ that would of been wasted. I want to notice a diff. that would of upset me.. thx!

rb1

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

if you're looking to improve gaming performance investing in a better graphics card will make much much more of a performance booster than a raid setup ... I mean the 5200 card is a budget card and if you want higher FPS, raid isn't going to help you

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds