My Network Places??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrokenArrows, Feb 1, 2005.

1. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Hi,

Im in college accommodation and we have cable access on the LAN. Alot of people share files over the lan via My Network Places but alot of the computers on the network seem to be disconnected alot of the time but their icons still are displayed in My Network Places. Is there any way to get windows to display only pc's that are connected?

Thanks

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

The answer is, kinda.

The main screen on my network places is justa memory of computers windows has seen. It's not meant to be up to date, although it does remove stuff if it doesn't see it for awhile.

If you want a current list you have to go a little furthur in. Depending on what settings you use, you'd either click the "Entire Network" icon. Or if you have the menu on the left open click the "view workgroup computers link".

Actually I take that back. If you got that stupid menu up on the side it makes it so you can only click the workgroup you are connected to. I don't even know how to get the list of networks when that thing is enabled. Just disable it and use the "entire Network" icon.

Alternativly you can also see all currently connected computers by typing " net view" at the command line.

3. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

None of those options will work in my situation cause i disabled netbios checking for my LAN. It takes far to long to find all the names, this means that no computers will show up in the net view list or the workgroup.

Looks like im just gona have to stick with ipscanning my network to show the computers that are online.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds