Planning on making external hard drive, but screwed up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeffyd, Feb 1, 2005.

1. jeffyd

jeffyd Private E-2

So I ordered a new hard drive from Tiger Direct. Problem is it's a S-ATA drive, must have accidently clicked that instead of the ATA drive.

I can't seem to find any hard drive enclosures that will support a SATA drive. Note I don't have a compatible motherboard so I can't just replace one of my drives.

Is there an adapter I can use?

Thank you.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

There is no adapter you can use, but you can buy a SATA controller card that fits into a PCI slot to add SATA ports to your board.

3. jeffyd

jeffyd Private E-2

That might just be the solution I'm looking for. They're pretty damned expensive though.

4. jeffyd

jeffyd Private E-2

Could anybody be a dear and help me find some sweet enclosures for a SATA drive?

5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

What do you mean by enclosures? Like just a little box to install a drive into but that is outside the comp? Or do you mean a removable HD tray. Either way an enclosure would not have anything to do with giving you SATA support. You'd still need to add that to a computer before either of the other options would work.

6. jeffyd

jeffyd Private E-2

Yeah, to make an external hard drive. I've ordered the SATA controller card. So I've got support now.

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

8. jeffyd

jeffyd Private E-2

9. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds