presario 700z hardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WEFIXEM, Feb 2, 2005.

1. WEFIXEM

WEFIXEM Private E-2

I have a presario 700z notebook and the motherboard is toast. Unit will not even turn on. I would like to pull info. off the hard drive and transfer it to another hard drive. What do I need to accomplish this. The hard drive is easily removed from the underside of the notebook.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Well considering the HD works still, you'd either have to find a working laptop to put it into and copy it that way. Or buy yourself a little converter to plug it into a desktop computer. The converts should run roughly 10$, so they arn't too expensive and most computer shops should carry them.

In the event you can't get the drive to be recognized by another computer, then basicly your only choice is to give up or send it off to a data recovery business and see how they do, but that's rather costly.

3. WEFIXEM

WEFIXEM Private E-2

Thanks for the help. I figured I could by another 700z but I was not aware of the conversion cables. Will get right on it. Thanks again.

4. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

I had a similar problem and bought a 2.5" USB extenal HD enclosure. Put the drive in there, the plugged into my desktop system and viola'. It shows up in Windows as another HD. You can now get the info off of the drive.

I got the enclosure from I think CDW, for like $35.00

Very simple to do. If I can find the link to the one I ordered, I'll post it.

BTW - the HD from that PC will probably work in any laptop. Don't think that if you plan to reuse the HD you HAVE to buy another presario 700. Thats not the case. Buy whatever laptop you want.

Steve

5. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Here it is....

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=525931

Get this and you'll be all set. It's nice because you can just leave the drive in there, and when you get your new laptop, after transferring all of your data over, you'll have yourself a nice small external HD to use with your laptop.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds