Easy RAM question (I think)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CS Addict, Feb 2, 2005.

1. CS Addict

CS Addict Private E-2

Hi all. I'm new to this forum, heard it was helpfull. I recently purchased a 512mb stick of PC3200 RAM. I already had 2 sticks of 256mb. I put the two 256mb sticks in one channel and the 512mb stick in the other. My friend says this will not work very well...? When i go to system in control panel, the new RAM shows up, and the performance seems better. Is the RAM not functioning to it's full potential with this setup? Should i scrap the 256mb sticks and get another 512? Thaanks!

2. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

The way you have it set up is fine.

The only reason to trade the existing two 256 MB sticks for one 512 MB stick is to save space and free up another slot. No perfomance gains from that though.

Steve

3. CS Addict

CS Addict Private E-2

Thanks Steve. Thats kind of what i thought. The guy who told me that is an IT guy, so he had me a bit concerned.... Glad he doesn't work for our company!!

4. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

Keep in mind the above stated is true, but if you are running dual channel as in the Nforce chipsets, you need to populate both slots for each channel otherwise dual channel won't run in most cases.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds